iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hear that bandmill Roar?

Started by Tom, February 05, 2002, 04:28:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tom

If you are sawing on a bandmill that uses V belts for Band-wheel tires and hear a loud roaring sound that wasn't there before, Stop the Machine.

Open up the access to the wheels and look under the belts.  Sawdust will build up under there and cause large lumps of what looks all in the world like Beaver Board.  The V belt humps up and causes the band to tighten and loosen every time the hump makes its circuit and turns the blade into a "musical instrument".  It can't be too good on the blade either.

Get a knife and screwdriver and scrape or dig this accumulation out of the V on the wheel and the Roar will go away.  

The first time it happened to me, I was afraid that I had burned up a bearing.  Boy was I relieved to find that I could fix it with my screwdriver.  

It happens mostly on the Drive Wheel.

Sappy Pine, Cypress and punky oak are the ones that have caused me the most trouble with cypress at the top of the list.

Some manufacturers are suggesting that you use smaller belts to eliminate this but I'll bet the stuff can still get under the belt and if it does you want to be able to get it out.

Don't panic........... :D

DanG

Good'un, Tom!  8)      That one belongs in the knowledge base. :P
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

JoeyLowe

Me thinks that Woodmizer mentioned this in one of their tips and tricks articles awhile back.  May not have been exactly like this, but was close enough.  I think they also mentioned that you should lift the hood on the dust chute every once in awhile and clean it out too. ::)
--
Joey Lowe

"Working towards perfection has to be a part of anything one does.  You've got to put yourself into it." ... Sam Maloof (chairmaker)

woodmills1

on woodmizers, drop down an inch on the belt length.  very hard to get on but no saw dust build up and belts and blades last longer.  go to suffolk machine and get their band blade handbook.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Frank_Pender

I like the whistle sound of my circle saws eating  their way though the log. 8) 8) 8)
Frank Pender

Thank You Sponsors!