iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Peterson Demo Day ...With A Real Peterson Guy

Started by Burlkraft, April 09, 2007, 09:37:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Burlkraft

Saturday, April 28th 2007 in Beeutiful Madison Wisconsin we're elevating the sawing of the now famous Wisconsin Redwood Log to a full blown Peterson Demo Day. Chris Brown from Peterson is gonna make the 18+ hour trip to be there to demo my mill and answer all yer questions. I even hear there's gonna be a contingent from the Michigan area in attendance... 8)  8)  8)

There's 4500 bf or so of lumber there that we're gonna really need some help with, so if you were lookin' at buyin' sumpthin and haven't decided this would be yer time. Or if ya ain't got nuthin to do..well now ya do.  If ya can't make it down to Sawlex...come on down....This is just hot off the presses so we don't have all the details worked out yet, but we'll get right at it and let ya know... ;D ;D ;D
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Jeff

Yep, Corley5 and I are making the trip to help saw up the beast. Burlkraft and Eggiman are supplying us with a couple new king size pigroast tables for this year, and we'll take one of them to Sawlex so ya'll can see what they look like if you attend.  Its pretty cool that we give a call to Peterson's and we not only get their support for the event, we get Chris too!

This will be a great time to come up and see something many of us will never get a chance to see in this part of the country. A Peterson Swing mill disassembling a big Redwood Log!  I can't wait!

We have to get times narrowed down, but the event will definitely be on Saturday, April 28th. I'm looking foward to getting one of them old time photos with all of us sitting on the log. :D  I'm also looking forward to taking my turn on doing some sawing.

Whaddaya think Steve, How wide a slab can we make?  8)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Burlkraft

Quote from: Jeff B on April 09, 2007, 09:49:17 PM
Whaddaya think Steve, How wide a slab can we make?  8)

Well.....How wide a slab can ya load in da truck..... ???  ???  ???

We should be able ta get some nice 3" X 5' X 16' slabs......

How long is Corley's trailer is the real question.... :D :D :D

Furby should chime in real soon with the weight on a slab like that.....By the way...Why ain't Fruby comin'.. ???  ???  ???

Jeff

He still might, but he says that they are backed up from the cold and will probably bust loose when it gets warm.

Were bringing my tandem trailer with a 16 foot bed.

Jeff

Who out there thinks they might be able to make it up to da festivities?  :)

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Burlkraft

Dat's da trailer ya'll needs ta bring.... ;D ;D ;D

Will Jeff's trailer handle 4 slabs.... ???  ???  ???

If not make sure ya git pictures.... :D :D :D

Corley5

Jeff's trailer should be more than sufficient for some little redwood boards  ;D ;) :)  Did I say this was gonna be fun ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Gary_C

Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

chet

Gonna miss my three day weekend by one day.  :'(
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

IL Bull

I'm going to try and make.  Maybe bring Brother Bull. ;D
Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

stumpy

I'll be there with my 16' trailer, and I hope alot of energy.  Steve, would you like me to come early and help set up the mill?  Or would you like me to come to your place to help load up?
Woodmizer LT30, NHL785 skidsteer, IH 444 tractor

johncinquo

Jeff and Corley5,
Are you going around the top or through Chicago?  When ya coming back home?
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Jeff

We will be going around the Top. Tammy is dropping me and the trailer off at Greg's Thursday morning in Wolverine. Once in Wolverine, ya gotta go over da top.  :)   We will probably leave for home on Sunday morning.

Jeff

Here's the address for where the cutting is to take place.

4430 Helgesen Dr.
Madison, Wi.

According to Burlkraft "It's just 4 miles off the interstate so Map quest should get everybody there no problemo....."  :)

low_48

Might just make the trip up from Peoria. Any idea on costs you will be asking for the wood? I have to get out to Peoria's Detwiller Park tomorrow and get a picture of our Peoria redwood. I bet it's the sister to this one. Story has it that Caterpillar brought a log in for photo work. It even has the same type of bark retention system ;D I'll post the pics when I get them. I thought that WI log was ours when I first saw the photo without reading.

Jeff

low_48, that there log in Peoria ia already famous on the forestry forum. There are quite a few references to it and some picture too. Some forum members are rumored to have carved names in it. One is rumored to have carved MY name into it. :D (not by me)

Jeff

Burlkraft

Jeff

Not for Noble. Its rumored he cut down limbed and bucked that log with that saw before breakfast one day, just after milking the stoopid cows.

Burlkraft

Did he put the Keep Off sign up there.....Or was he abiding by it.... ???  ???  ;D  ;D

TexasTimbers

Geez it appears every State has a BHR except us. TR ya gotta find out whether we gots one of them Big Honkin Redwoods sumwharz!
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

metalspinner

You guys have it all wrong.  They ain't gonna saw no boards from that log.  They are going to demonstrate the new Peter-lathe-erson attatchment for oversized turning stock.  Burlkraft is going to chuck that bigboy up and turn a lamp out of it.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Part_Timer

Boy that should be a blast.  How much cribbing are you going to need under your mill  ???

I'll send Zac that way to help move them slabs. ;)

Tom
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

johncinquo

Ahh, if he was picking you, Jeff up it was kinda a toss up which way was shorter.

5 hours 13 minutes for me.  About 4 1/2 hours if I take the cycle and avoid the radar.  Taking the ferry from Muskegon to Milwaukee would be shorter, but about $80, and surely not as much fun.  If it would ever quit snowing! 

Have to check with the Domestic Goddess to clear the way....
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Thank You Sponsors!