iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

hard starting

Started by rockwall, November 15, 2013, 07:36:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

rockwall

A friend has a clark 664 with a 353 and has recently had a hard time starting. It cranks and cranks and then will start. It will start with a shot of ether. The longer the machine sits the harder it is to start. Any suggestions? Thanks

ga jones

Could be the jumper line on the injectors. Take the valve cover off and crank it watch the little cross over lines they crack.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

North River Energy

The Detroit on my loader has a check valve below the first filter to prevent drain-back to the tank. 

Don't know if that is a possibility on the Clark, but it sounds a little like you're getting air in the system somehow.

David-L

What about a temperture change. Under 30 degrees these detroits don't really like to start without some assistance. Low compression and cold intake air. I put a block heater on mine and it starts everytime after 30 minutes of heating with no either. Thats down to 20 degrees, hasn't been colder her yet except one morning at 14 and I went hunting. katz makes one for the 53 series detroits and it takes one hr to put it on the motor. well worth it in any case cause starters aren't cheap.

David l
In two days from now, tomorrow will be yesterday.

treeslayer2003

+1 on the check valve, it really helps. also check for restrictions or crap in the tank. a tune up will make a difference too, just get someone who really does know how to do it right. I must disagree on the starting cold, Detroit should start pretty well in the cold if it tuned right.

Autocar

Finding someone to do it right is the problem in my area older engines and the older guys that worked on them are gone or can't remember anymore  ;D.
Bill

rfm7fxfox

We have a 3-53 Detroit in our little C5 and after a little tune up she starts great. Doesn't matter the temp. Starts the same weather its 10 degrees or 60! We do have a block heater also. Just recently the machines been sitting for about a month or so and started right up for us. I love them Detroit's!
Dolmar 7900, Ported Dolmar 7910, Ported Johnsered 2172, J-Red 2186, Ported Husky 385, Ported J-Red 2258,Tree Farmer C5D,Timberjack 460 D.A. Grapple, 2015 KMC 2500 Grapple Track Skidder and 2005 Peterbilt 379 Logtruck

Maine logger88

My guess would be maybe a small air leak in the fuel  suction line not big enough to leak much fuel I had that problem with a 6 71 Detroit in a carrier truck miserable couple days before I changed the line but has started and run fine ever since
79 TJ 225 81 JD 540B Husky and Jonsered saws

David-L

Treeslayer2003,
What is the procedure for a tune up on my 353, Could you create a list that I can do if I have manuals. Besides changing out filters and getting a higher ampperage starter to spin it quicker I never had a 353 Detroit start good without assistance in cold weather. 35 degrees or below. Timing, rack timing, etc. Is that stuff east enough to do on your own.

David l

treeslayer2003

David, not really. I don't do mine either. if you have the manual then you see there are special tools and a bunch of steps that must be done in order. a good Detroit man can do better than spec as he can compensate for some wear. look around n talk to the truck guys I bet you'll find a guy. as for starters, I just put a gear reduction light weight starter on one of mine and I will be getting more of them. they turn much faster than the old delco.

treeslayer2003

near the coast you might talk to some boat guys about a good tune up man.

snowstorm

Quote from: David-L on November 16, 2013, 06:10:36 PM
Treeslayer2003,
What is the procedure for a tune up on my 353, Could you create a list that I can do if I have manuals. Besides changing out filters and getting a higher ampperage starter to spin it quicker I never had a 353 Detroit start good without assistance in cold weather. 35 degrees or below. Timing, rack timing, etc. Is that stuff east enough to do on your own.

David l
you will need the real detroit tech manual and the injector height tool

ga jones

I agree with treeslayer David. You need a detroit guy to set the rack. Detroits are still pretty popular in boats.
380c timberjack c4 treefarmer international trucks jonsered saws. Sugi hara bars d31 komatsu 350 tj grapple

David-L

Good advice, so what I am hearing is that with a properly tuned 353 there is a chance it will start when below 35 degrees without assistance. Also  what type of starter is the gear reduction.
                                                  David

ga jones

I would say maybe. Some of that depends on the state of the engine. Like when was it rebuilt last how many hours are on it now. I've seen the gear reduction starter on eBay.

Thank You Sponsors!