iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Picked up a Mc doubl2 eagle 80! 2?s

Started by pdoubleu, September 02, 2012, 11:24:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pdoubleu

Couldn't pass up this classic!  1. Does anyone have a downloadable manual? 2. Need to give this thing some love. Where to start? Thinking new filters and Carb cleaning. Any help, much appreciated!

mad murdock

I have never worked on nor handled a DE80.  If the filter(air) is like other Macs, you cna clean it as good as new as long as it isn't trashed.  The carb probably will need a carb kit put in, as if it has been sitting for any length of time with gas in it, it will be varnished up and seals, diaphragm dried out.  A little elbow grease and $30 worth of parts is usually what it takes, i would also check the clutch bearing and chain drive sprocket/rim, whichever style it has.  Of course the cost could get higher easily if it has compression issues, or some other problem, got a pic of the new (to you ) saw?
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

pdoubleu

Got it today!  Its actually in much better shape than I thought.  All the stuff you mentioned will still need to be done, but I'm happy so far.  Will post a picture next week, it'll probably take me that long to get it started,Its a bear.   ;D

Al_Smith

There isn't a whole lot of difference in performance of any of the 81 cc Macs of the ten series design .

Sp 80 ,Sp 81 ,Double Eagle 80 ,8200 .805,850 and probabley a few I forgot .They all cut good if they are tuned correctly .Lacking the speed of a more modern saw engine they produce torque simply because of the engine design .They aren't slow though as some who don't know any better might think .

Keep in mind this is not a trim the apple tree in the back yard type  saw .They have some power now .They are good rather light weight felling saws and can pull 32" of bar with no problem .Fact in the soft woods of the PNW they ran with longer than that back in the day .

pdoubleu

Do you have any tips on tuning? If I get this bastard started that is .

beenthere

Quote2. Need to give this thing some love.

Maybe this is the answer.... 8)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

pdoubleu

Quote from: beenthere on September 06, 2012, 09:35:32 PM
Quote2. Need to give this thing some love.

Maybe this is the answer.... 8)

Really helpful.  8)

Al_Smith

It probabley sat so long with funky gas in the tank and the carb needs rebuilt is why you can't start it .

There's no real secret to tuning it ,it's just like any other saw .

pdoubleu

Sooooo it had a small plastic bag in the tank wrapped around the filter.  I assume a storage thing. Definitely not good conditions to start this guy. So its time to replace/rebuild everything I can get my greasy little hands on. I'm thinking about a week. We'll see..

Thank You Sponsors!