iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saw for slabbing

Started by Furby, March 17, 2004, 04:05:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Furby

I'm looking for a powerhead to run a 60 - 72" bar for slabbing.
Can anyone recommend a saw?

Rocky_J

You most likely only have two realistic choices for something that size- Husky 3120 or Stihl 088.

oldsaw-addict

I would say take the 3120 or the 088 also. If you are willing to spend the time and money, look on ebay for a 090 or 090G model, they are EXCELLENT milling saws, rated at 136ccs and 12-13 HP stock, you cant really find a true contender for one anymore in N. america. I lean to the stihl 088 or 084 models for your tasks. a HEAVILY modified 066 should be able to take that size bar as well, just send a new 066  to Dozer Dan Henry and have him mod it for you, you'll essentially have a lighter version of the 088. Just make sure the carb is set a little bit richer than the original settings on the H needle, this will prevent lean seizure.
Let there be saws for all mankind!

Frickman

I'd say an 088 or if you can find one, an 090. That 090 will cut faster than you can push it through. It has a tremendous amount of low-end torque, more than the 088.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Furby

Ok thanks guys!
I'm looking around right now.

When buying a used saw, is there anything I should keep an eye open for by way of a bad saw?

Rocky_J

If you are going to buy a tool that will generate tens of thousands of dollars worth of income for you, why would you skimp and try to get away with a used (most likely abused) tool for a couple hundred dollars less?
 ???

I used to try and get away with used and/or pawnshop purchased tools to make a living, but came to realize it was false economy. My tools are an investment and the better my tools, the more money I can make with them.

If you are just doing this for a hobby or part time busy-work, then used would be appropriate and my above comments would not apply.

Furby

Good point and one I've been thinking a lot about. I'm really not sure if I'll end up making any money with it, but I hope to. I'm the kind of person that likes to spend the extra $ on new just because I know it "should" work. There are some exceptions to that and I'm looking at this one from all sides, at this point.

When I get a chance I'll post some pics of what I'm working on right now.

Hunter

Rocky has a great point.
I personally think the 088 would be a great saw fro this work.
That long bar really makes a saw grunt.
Hunter
Jmccomas@insight.rr.com
614-554-2169
Dolmar / Efco / Redmax / Silvey Grinders Sales

Thank You Sponsors!