iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just ordered my first mill....

Started by woodcat47, February 17, 2016, 11:31:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodcat47

Just ordered my first mill from Woodland Mills, I got the HM-126. Also got two bed extensions for a 22' cutting length. I plan on building a 4x8 cedar twin beam 'deck' system for the mill to sit on. If anyone has any 'first-timer' tips, please feel free to post them here! I should be sawing in about 2 weeks and change.
Owner Kelly Hanna Woodworks and soon....Texas Red's Sawmill
Deck Builder serving Dallas and East Texas since 1977

hacknchop

That sounds great the guys on here will provide you with tips and advice which when taken to heart can make even the inexperienced one wood wise. :)
Often wrong never indoubt

fishfighter

I have the same mill for just over a year now. First thing, order some good USA belts for it. The ones that came with mine didn't last 10 hours.

The bed that you planning on building sounds good. Screw everything together. Higher is better if you can. keeps you from bending over all the time. Once you put your track down, screw down the adjustable feet to the decking. If you don't, you going to knock the track off. Those feet have holes and I used some 3"drywall screws which are still holding good.

This is my track bed.

Once I got my mill running, I had built a small building just for the saw. It has to be no less then 9' wide, 10' would be better so you can work from inside the building on out.

You didn't say what type of trees you plan on sawing. I saw oak and SYP. Best blades that I found for my mill has been Kasco 7 degree blades.

On a side note. Sooner or later, you going to saw into one of the back stops. It happens. :D Once you do, 99% of the time, well for me, 100%, the blade is shot. ;D

Another good tool to have on hand is some big chocks. They help you setting up a log on the bed.

To help level out logs on the bed, I use a small floor jack. Keep some thin boards on hand to put under the log as you level.

Enjoy.

thecfarm

You will like it!!
What's the lumber going to be used for?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Magicman

Congrats on the sawmill.  There are lots of owners here so you are in good company.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Gitrdone64

I am just getting into milling as well Woodcat47. Was going to order the HM126 this week, but I just found out they will be putting out a new one come April this year it will be the HM130 bigger motor and 4 post frame.
Been wanting to mill my own wood for a long time. I use to have a cabinet shop sold everything 15 years ago. The bug hit caused I missed and bought all new tools last year.
Hope I can hold off my wants for the mill until the new HM130 is out.
I'd rather be a has been then a never been!
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gitrdone64

Fishfighter why did your belts go to crap, and where did you get the replacement belts?
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

sawmilljoe

I have had my woodland for a year now have about 150 hours on mine still original belts. they work very well just make sure you tension the band up enough . Have fun milling . Any questions feel free to ask.

123maxbars

Congratulations,

Looks like a fine mill,
Sawyer/Woodworker/Timber Harvester
Woodmizer LT70 Super Wide, Nyle L53 and 200 kiln, too many other machines to list.
outofthewoods
Youtube page
Out of the

woodcat47

Fishfighter....love your bed design. I am going to set posts and mount the beams onto them with BIG screws. I had planned on screwing everything down for sure including the feet to the track bed. Also, it will be backing up to a 10x12 building I already have on the property, so my shed roof can be extended a bit to cover the saw head. It will be 10' wide, good to hear that should be enough. Thanks for the advice on the blades, I will be needing more than the 10 I ordered sooner than later. Got 20 cedars coming in the first month to cut on the half and half.

I will be sawing mostly Eastern Red Cedar, but I have a Bois d'arc tree that will be coming down [hopefully tomorrow] that will see the saw before too long. Hoping to get a few slabs out of it in the process.

Going to be suing the wood I saw for many different projects. Beams will be cut as time goes by for the big project...a 1200 sf log cabin for me and the wife!

Mine took a long time in coming and I decided not to wait for the new saw in April just in case it's later than planned. This mill will have 22' cutting length so it will take awhile to outgrow it. The other reason for not waiting is money. the cash I saved over the other mill I was looking at was over $1000, so that goes into the Bobcat fund. Got a line on a Bobcat [one of the larger ones] for cheap!

fishfighter

Quote from: Gitrdone64 on February 18, 2016, 06:48:06 PM
Fishfighter why did your belts go to crap, and where did you get the replacement belts?

Cheap china made belts. Got replacements for free from Woodland. Order my second set thru a local Auto parts store with no problem.

Gitrdone64

Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

Chuck White

Welcome to the Forestry Forum, woodcat47.
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

fishfighter

Quote from: sawmilljoe on February 19, 2016, 06:41:33 PM
I have had my woodland for a year now have about 150 hours on mine still original belts. they work very well just make sure you tension the band up enough . Have fun milling . Any questions feel free to ask.

I don't have a hour meter, but as of now, I went thru over 25 blades in a year. The third belt set I have just in case.

Now, also a heads up. Order extra guide bearing. Replaced mine once so far. I was able to pick them up local, but paid twice the amount what Woodland sells a set of 4.

woodcat47

Thanks for the heads up. I will call and get a set or two. The mill is on the way...will be here sometime next week!

Gitrdone64

Congragulatios 8)
When will it arrive Woodcat?
Hud-son Oscar 236 Pro

goose63

Watch out for these

thr are hard on the blades and welcome to the F F 8)
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

OlJarhead

2016 LT40HD26 and Mahindra 5010 W/FEL WM Hundred Thousand BF Club Member

Peter Drouin

A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

goose63,I have no idea if yours go straight up and down or not. Mine do. I finally smarten up and put inch marks on mine. 3 inches is really 2½ and 4 inches is really 3½ and so on. Now when I edge,I want 4 inch boards I set the log stops at 4 and I know I have a ½" to spare.

goose63

thecfarm mine do go up or down but when I get the cant square.  I take them out and put in the short stops those I cant hit at all thy are to short
goose
if you find your self in a deep hole stop digging
saw logs all day what do you get lots of lumber and a day older
thank you to all the vets

woodcat47

Mill arrives tomorrow between 11 & 3! Won't get it put together until Sunday week. Have to build a base for it first, then get time to tinker with assembly.

Thank You Sponsors!