iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 385 XP

Started by gizmo, January 04, 2009, 10:02:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gizmo

There is a lot of talk about saws but noboby really mentions a Husky 385 much. I own one and like it a lot. Is it the Power to Weight or some other problem that no one really mentions them on here. iIsee posts about the 372 the 395 etc but this little rascal is always left out. Whats up with that? Just curious...

Rocky_J

IMO it's one of those 'in-between' sizes, it tries to fill two categories but cannot excell in either.

The 372 is an excellent 5 cube saw and is tops in it's class (I own four). If you already have a 372 and want a bigger saw for milling or big stumps, the 385 isn't a big enough step up to justify the cost. Especially when you can get the 395 for a few dollars more.

The market for the 385 is for somebody who wants both a firewood saw and a big stump saw, but doesn't want to buy two saws. It's an excellent saw, but it's a bit heavy for all day firewooding and slightly underpowered for milling.

Maineloggerkid

Rocky hit it right on the head.  I don't mind the weight, so I use mine every day of the week cutting and limbing spruce, fir, and just about every tree species in Maine. I had a 575xp before my 372, so that "conditioned" me to the weight. ;D
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

TexasTimbers

Yep Rocky said it all IMO.

I have a 372 and 395 and did not hesitate to opt for the 395 over the 385 when it was time to get a bigger saw. The 395 is so much fun to use, I look for reasons to go logging. ;D

I mill with it also, and would actually prefer an 090 for milling. Not because the 395 can't handle it, but because i don't want to tear it up.

I am working on the 090 Stihl still.  :)
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

barbender

TexasTimbers- You guys must pronounce Stihl "still" down there as well?? I was watching a Logosol video once, they pronounced it "steel". I feel the "still" pronunciation lends itself more readily to jokes, like "still working on it" or "still wouldn't want one" :) Actually, I picked one up on a landing I was hauling off last winter, I think it was an 090, saw was brand new. Nice and smooth, lots of power. I'd never ran a Stihl before that.
Too many irons in the fire

TexasTimbers

Most everyone around here pronounces it like . . . . "huska-varna" ;D

But yeah, I pronounce it "still". I always thought that's how it was pronounced. I think I have heard a few say steel, but they are "not from around here". ;)

Gizmo, I was not knocking the 385 I know it is a fine saw. Just wasn't my choice but I am sure it will cut like a banshee.

gizmo

You didn't hurt my feelings.  I just thought I'd throw that question out there. Thanks for the opinions.........Makes sense now that I think of it....

DR_Buck

I have 3 Huskys .   My most used for firewood and general trimming is my Rancher 55.    I have the 385xp  and I love it.  Lots of power and easy to handle.  I got it new for free, so cost wasn't an issue.   ;D  (Free Chainsaw)   I also have a 335xp for pruning .
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Dave Shepard

All you need to know about how to pronounce Stihl

I'm not saying that you have to say it that way, but that's the way it is. I thought it was a vernacular thing, but it is pronounced both ways by people in the same area.

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

beenthere

Maybe in TX they pronounce "steel" as "still"   ::) ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

TexasTimbers

Quote from: beenthere on January 07, 2009, 12:20:05 AM
Maybe in TX they pronounce "steel" as "still"   ::) ::) ::)

No, we pronounce it "Arn."

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Piston

-Matt
"What the Lion is to the Cat the Mastiff is to the Dog, the noblest of the family; he stands alone, and all others sink before him. His courage does not exceed his temper and generosity, and in attachment he equals the kindest of his race."

Dave Shepard

Your welcome. I try not to bring it up, because it usually starts a fight, but that's undeniable evidence. ;D You'd think being German, it would be properly pronounced "Schtill" or "Schteel", but it isn't. :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Full Skip

The 385 works fine for me for milling, but I am almost always using a 24" bar.  I've run the 36" in hardwood.  It's not the fastest, but if I'm running that big of bar in hardwood - I really want the wood for something and lightning speed isn't an issue.  That being said, I've been eyeing up Husky's biggest saw for a few years now.

TexasTimbers

FS,

Not knocking the 3120XP, never owned one, but I have read in more than one place where they have a tendency to blow and not because of long hours. I understand a person can read anything on the internet.

I am poking around for a clutch driven 090, or an 070 and get the 090 jug and piston from Bailey's. I am mostly a Husky man but the 090/070 upgrade is a better milling saw than a 3120 IMHO.

Al_Smith

Unfortunately Husqvarna is just not a popular saw in these parts other than the small ones sold a Lowes . There is just no dealer support in this area.

A few years back Husky made a very bad business decision and tried to muscle the dealers that sold Stihl .One of those us or them deals .Obviously Stihl carried the day .I don't think those dealers would let Husky back in if they were paid to because they got stuck with thousands of dollars in parts inventory for saws they no longer sold .

Having said that the 181 ,281 and 2100 are classics in their own rights .Older but very well powered saws . I own a 2100 and it does just dandy for it's size group .

I have operated the 372's and they also are little power houses for a 70 cc plus sized saw .

Maineloggerkid

Our local ( 30 miles away) saw shop is an all in one stop. He carries the full line of Husky, Stihl, and Jonsered saws, parts, and accesories all under one roof. It doesn't matter what you buy, you have good support and good rates. A lot of guys around here will have 2-3 saws of differnet brands, depending on needs/ wants/ pricing.
JD 540D cable skidder, and 2 huskies- just right.   

Loggers- Saving the world from the wrath of trees!

SawTroll

I don't see the point with the 385xp, when the 390xp is an improved version + more cc and power...... ;)
Information collector.

TexasTimbers

Could be gizmo bought his 385 before the 390 was available.

ladylake

I bought mine before the 390, it's a decent saw, a little heavy. I'd rather be running a 7900 Dolmar, same power and a lot lighter.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

MrJim

SawTroll

Quote from: TexasTimbers on January 08, 2009, 07:27:18 PM
Could be gizmo bought his 385 before the 390 was available.

I was thinking of new buyers......
Information collector.

GASoline71

Quote from: Al_Smith on January 08, 2009, 01:52:30 PM
I own a 2100 and it does just dandy for it's size group .

But how easy is it to start Al?   (Inside joke...)  :D :D :D :D :D

Gary
\"...if ya mess with the bull... ya gets the horn.\"

Al_Smith

Quote from: GASoline71 on January 09, 2009, 07:56:54 PM
Quote from: Al_Smith on January 08, 2009, 01:52:30 PM
I own a 2100 and it does just dandy for it's size group .

But how easy is it to start Al?   (Inside joke...)  :D :D :D :D :D

Gary
Well right now not too bad but I'm sure it will act up again .I'll give it a good talkin  to again I suppose .

Now just what bunch of yahoos would make a hundred cc saw with that much compression and not put a decomp on it .They ought to be hung from the yard arm at high noon . :D

Thank You Sponsors!