iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Found saw in woods.

Started by Ward Barnes, February 01, 2014, 03:34:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ward Barnes

:) Howdy Folks:

I found a Stihl 260 Pro in the woods where my wife and I have been cutting oak and other hardwoods.  Two pulls on the cord and it started and ran like a champ.  Used it to cut my 362 out of a pinch and made a few cuts in white oak.  The saw had the initials of a local land clearing company on it along with a name.  Called them and left a message.  If they don't come and get it I'll have one sweet little saw.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
Dull chains cause accidents.  Accidents cause shorter life spans.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

Jiles

You  are to be commended for your reaction. Many people would have never looked for Identification and just kept the saw.
If they don't respond, you are very fortunate!!!
Satisfy needs before desires

brettl

Saw in the woods? :o All I ever find is wood in my saw.  :D

Awesome find though, even if you don't get to keep it.

gspren

Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

clww

Ward,
I'd tried calling back, but your number was busy.
Just go ahead and send it back to me.
I'll pay the shipping on my end.
I'll identify it for you: Orange and White, Pull cord on the left side, Bar and Chain equipped.
;D ;D ;D
Many Stihl Saws-16"-60"
"Go Ask The Other Master Chief"
18-Wheeler Driver

Yatt

Kudos for you honesty. 8)

A buddy of mine is a forester and was having a processor crew do some first thinning in a stand of spruce.  One left a Stihl 440 on the landing during deer hunting.  My buddy found it and the crew was back on site.  He took the chain off and put it on backwards and left the saw.  The boys were relieved to find it but then realized the chain was on backwards and couldn't figure out what happened.
288 XP Lite
372XPG
562XP
357XP
550XPG
346XP
Dolmar 7900
028 Super totally rebuilt and ported
Speeco 28ton splitter
Silvey 510, Oregon 511AX & Tecomec grinder

treechopper40

I was going to work early in the morning and rate in town I found a brand new 359 husky laying in the road I picked it up the next morning I was in the local store where all the loggers stop and another logger friend of mine was telling the store owner how he lost his new saw said he put it on the bumper of his truck while getting fuel and forgot about it and drove away I didn't say anything I went out to my truck and grabbed the saw walked back into the store and said did it look like this saw he said man im so glad you found it cause anyone else would have kept it I told him it was his lucky day
1979 c5d treefarmer 1966 c5b treefarmer prentice g model loader 2 6100 dolmars a 6400 dolmar and a 7910 dolmar 2012 ford f 250 4x4 with a service body and 2 golden retreivers

JohnG28

Quote from: clww on February 01, 2014, 05:06:05 PM
Ward,
I'd tried calling back, but your number was busy.
Just go ahead and send it back to me.
I'll pay the shipping on my end.
I'll identify it for you: Orange and White, Pull cord on the left side, Bar and Chain equipped.
;D ;D ;D

:D :D
Stihl MS361, 460 & 200T, Jonsered 490, Jonsereds 90, Husky 350 & 142, Homelite XL and Super XL

Cut4fun

Friend of mine was lost a saw like this. Left the saw in the woods when he left to go eat lunch. Came back and his saw was gone.
Saw never did turn up.

chet

I once drove up to my job site on Monday morning ta find an 041 sitting on the snowbank on the edge of the road. Only ta find out it was mine.  :o  I had left it there Friday when I left.  ::) This was on a very busy road!
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

sablatnic

A friend found one, a Jonsereds 520. It had been there a while, a small tree had grown up through the rear handle! He had to use his saw to get it free. Oh, and he kept it!

coxy

don't know how true this story is but its funny    the loggers was having trouble with people taking thing at night so they took an old saw pulled it apart and put the pee sacks of a skunk on top of the piston and with no spark plug when they went to start it well the rest is history found out the person that did it when they went to the saw shop a few day later logger asked whats that smell   saw shop guy said the guy told me that the plug went bad and that night a skunk must have peed on it    they got nabbed for stolen saw        like I said don't know how true it is but funny

Hilltop366

A guy across the lake from me was cutting dead trees a half mile up the road from his house on a nursing home property, he had piled up the brush to burn after lunch, before he left for lunch he shoved his saw under the brush pile to keep it out of sight while he was gone.

I bet you know what happens after lunch!

Yep he lit the fire, saw still in there.

Ward Barnes

Quote from: Hilltop366 on February 02, 2014, 09:27:06 AM
A guy across the lake from me was cutting dead trees a half mile up the road from his house on a nursing home property, he had piled up the brush to burn after lunch, before he left for lunch he shoved his saw under the brush pile to keep it out of sight while he was gone.

I bet you know what happens after lunch!

Yep he lit the fire, saw still in there.

At least the Gas and Oil in the saw helped start the fire.   ???
7 year old Stihl MS 390.  New Stihl trim saw MS 250.  Kubota BX 2200 tractor.  2005 F150 4X4.
You don't sharpen a chain when it gets dull.  You sharpen a chain to keep it from getting dull.

sawguy21

Probably started with a bang too. :D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Hilltop366

Not sure what kind of saw it was but he bought a new saw the next day.

ely

i cut some tree limbs for my boss one day off a ladder and he set the 036 on the side bin... i came down and we went to eat lunch, after a few miles i ask if he had got the saw off the side bin he said i thought you did, we raced back and never seen the saw along the road....
i went and purchased a new 361 and a week later i was in the saw store and mentioned losing a saw and the lady said that someone had found one and turned it in at the police station last week.
i drove up there and the dispatch called the chief and he said he took the saw " to ask a man if it was his"... when it came back a few days later i went down to the station and walked in, it was sitting on the top of a filing cabinet about 20 ft away i said, yes that is my saw... the chief says how can you tell from that far... i ask him to get it down and look on the bottom of the handle there was a half moon chip gone out of the plastic, he did and sort of rolled his eyes and mumbled something. i told him i had only been running that saw about 12 years, and was happy to get it back..
  after the fact i realized they had been using the saw a good bit. it had cedar all in the brand new chain someone bought me. :D

thecfarm

Serial number would of done it too. I found one on the road. I knew the guy. He had it on his tail gate and when he pulled out of his driveway the next road is just a little ways. It stayed on until he hit the gas. i was standing in the road thinking I was going to have to make a sign at the local store when he came flying down the road. He realized what happened about a mile up the road.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SPIKER

My brother and I had done some cutting of some trees the power company cut down.   I had both poulan saws out there & was using the tractor to clear brush around our working area & stacking the wood.

Fast forward half a year and I figured someone stole my saw as it was gone I went & looked at the place we last used them no luck in now grass 3feet high.  Fast forward 8 more months and I was gona have to buy NEW saw and went looking for 5th time.   hit it with a machette clearing the over grown brush/weeds.   started on the 3rd pull and area was the swampy spot on my property! 8)   It is real faded on one side now but I call it a battle scar...

M
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

DaleK

Neighbour took a saw out chopping corn to open up some gates, put it in the front of the forage wagon to take it home. Forgot about it and started unloading. Saw went through blower and up 60' of pipe. Said he never heard anything like it.
Hud-Son Oscar 330
Wallenstein FX110
Echo chainsaws and a whole bunch of tractors

Ward Barnes

Quote from: DaleK on February 02, 2014, 09:51:53 PM
Neighbor took a saw out chopping corn to open up some gates, put it in the front of the forage wagon to take it home. Forgot about it and started unloading. Saw went through blower and up 60' of pipe. Said he never heard anything like it.

Now that is some tough corn!  And I bet it did make quite a racket going up the pipe.

beenthere

A real problem feeding that silage to his cattle, seems to me. Always worried about hardware in the feed stock.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

lynde37avery

i found a saw at the dump one time. fuel line fixed er right up. cheap poulan shark. but it runs and cuts kindling.
Detroit WHAT?

hoyboy1970

i think that's mine. orange and white, says stihl on the bar. yeah, where is it you live again? ha-ha.
quite a few Stihls. firewood cutter. chainsaw enthusiast.

pine

Quote from: Ward Barnes on February 01, 2014, 03:34:21 PM
:) Howdy Folks:

I found a Stihl 260 Pro in the woods where my wife and I have been cutting oak and other hardwoods.  Two pulls on the cord and it started and ran like a champ.  Used it to cut my 362 out of a pinch and made a few cuts in white oak.  The saw had the initials of a local land clearing company on it along with a name.  Called them and left a message.  If they don't come and get it I'll have one sweet little saw.

God Bless, Ward and Mary.

Have not seen an update.  Did the land clearing company ever call back?  You would think they would miss it after 8 days.

Thank You Sponsors!