iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

bucking firewood there has to be a better way

Started by Splinter, June 10, 2008, 06:56:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlR

Beenthere,

You said in another post you cover the pallets with roofing material (rubber?).  Are you still using that?  I am tired of getting my tarps back from the east end of my field!

CarlR
Deere 6410 with high tensile twine skidding emerald bored ash...

beenthere

CarlR
Yes, rubber roofing.
I toss a couple split firewood pieces on top to hold it down, and seems to work well.
I've thought about a better way to hold it, but none has come to the surface yet.

I picked up quite a bit of used rubber roofing off craigslist at a reasonable price. Have it cut into squares for each pile. Then I just add a packet of mouse poison to the stacks once in awhile, and a couple weeks before moving a pallet of wood into the garage. That has taken care of the mouse problems pretty much...nock on wood.  :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Meadows Miller

That sure is nice but doesn't pass the big bucks test.

I'm gonna like it here. Let me run that one by the finance minister.

Gday Splinter and Welcome to the forum Mate.

How Did You go with the Finance Minister  ??. Hope You dont always get a NO  ;) :D You might have to let Her know that theres alot of other Brokers looking for Your
buisness  ;) ;) :D :D :D :D

Reguards Chris McMahon
4TH Generation Timbergetter

warmhart

CarlR, we use old billboard covers (heavy duty printed vinyl tarps) that we get from the billboard company, and use lengths of chain link to hold them in place. For pallet width.
you need about 10 of fence. I already had some from a project, but it seems to be available on
C.L.

John Mc

I had forgotten all about this thread. My techniques have evolved since it first started years ago.

If I just have a few logs to cut, and no equipment with me other than the chainsaw, I have a few methods, depending on the size/weight of the logs (and my mood at the time):

• Pick them up and throw them on top of some rounds or branches to get them up out of the dirt.
  • Pick up an end and kick some smaller logs underneath, then do the same to the other end.
  • Cut part way through, stopping before I hit dirt, until I find a spot where I can cut all the way through. Then roll that section to finish the cuts. Having a peavey with me minimizes the need to find a place where I can cut through, since it's more likely I can roll the log whole.
  • If I have a plastic wedge with me, and the log is just too big to roll (dang, wish I had my LogRite peavey with me), I'll cut most of the way through, then drive a wedge in behind the the bar. If you've cut through far enough drive the wedge hard enough, the log bends at the cut, lifting the cut area up off the ground, allowing you to finish the cut without hitting the dirt. If I don;t have something better with me to drive the wedge, I'll cut a branch of something hard and heavy and a good size for gripping and use that. (I've been known to cut myself a wedge as well, if I don't have my plastic ones with me, but I'm more likely to just wait until I'm back with more equipment before I resort to that)

If I have my tractor and grapple with me, I pile the logs, and just cut from the pile. If I was thinking ahead, I start the pile with skinnier logs on the bottom. When I've cut through the rest of the pile, I just lift up the remaining small logs and put them on top of the already cut rounds. (If I was not thinking ahead, I get the tractor and lift up any large logs and lay them on top.)
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

doc henderson

this is how we cut standing dead elm for firewood to minimize handling.  full crates go on the trailer, off at home.  split it 1 crate at a time, into another crate. bring wood to the house in a crate with pallet forks on skid steer or pallet jack on sidewalk.  Each crate hold 1/4 cord when split. dries ok in crate

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

doc henderson

Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

thecfarm

I like that!!
But I lack a few pieces of equipment to do that. ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: warmhart on January 06, 2019, 10:55:38 PM
CarlR, we use old billboard covers (heavy duty printed vinyl tarps) that we get from the billboard company, and use lengths of chain link to hold them in place. For pallet width.
you need about 10 of fence. I already had some from a project, but it seems to be available on
C.L.
I've tried getting billboard "tarps".  A guy on CL keeps posting he has some for $10 each but he takes 2 or 3 days to respond - sometimes a week - and I haven't been able to connect to get some.  He just goes dark.  Where do you get yours?
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

g_man

I sell a little firewood but only 8 to 10 foot log lengths. Bucking and splitting would be a big loser for me. For my own modest use I like to buck it up on the trailer, run it thru the splitter, and stack it in the shed in one fell swoop.

gg

John Mc

g_man - It looks as though you have some hydraulic lines going back to the trailer. What do they do? It doesn't look as though there is a dump bed on it.
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

moodnacreek

Nobody wants to here this. Go to all the sawmill auctions you can and buy a log trough. If they have a L@M cut off saw buy that also. You will need an engine driven hyd. power unit, hydrolic motor for trough and hyd. for saw.  We have done all this. Don't know how? Go to wood shows with camera, pencil and paper and copy others. Most all the parts are off the shelf and have tags on them. And today it is much easyer with the inter net than ever before.

g_man

Quote from: John Mc on January 08, 2019, 07:16:15 AM
g_man - It looks as though you have some hydraulic lines going back to the trailer. What do they do? It doesn't look as though there is a dump bed on it.
It is a dump trailer

But I wanted something more versatile so I added some cross channels and brackets to support stake pockets. I also made some removable side boards.
So now besides the dump bed I have a flat bed.

gg

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

doc henderson

gasman1075

I thought I could re-invent the wheel ( bucking firewood anyways ) so I took 3PT hitch mounted pallet fork ( from Titan )  bought a thumb ( Greens ) had the thumb welded onto the pallet fork, plumbed it and valved it from my read hydraulic ports on my JD 790 and voila I could back it under the log, lift it and pinch it and then buck it up in the air and save my 60 year old abused body. I sold the JD 790 and have not re-plumbed my JD2520 so it sits in my neighbors shed under cover. I spent $1500 more or less to build it and barely used it......
JD 2302R/Stihl MS461/Stihl MS261/ Timberwolf TW-P1/ new left hip /

doc henderson

great idea.  Keep that bar and chain out of the dirt.

GRANITEstateMP

gman,

I saw one of those on C-list a while back, it caught my eye.  I didn't have enough $$$ in my firewood expense account (a small white envelope tucked under my pillow) to buy it.  If I would've had the forethought to have both a dump trailer and flatbed, I would have gone out in the yard and dug out one of my emergency fund mason jars!!!  I really like what you got AND all the versatility of that dump trailer
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

g_man

Thank You Sponsors!