iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

A new business

Started by thecfarm, December 04, 2017, 06:10:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thecfarm

Wilton,Maine— The new owners of a plot on Route 2 hope to go back in time with a
sawmill and retail store. Plans for the Loggers' Den, next to Dollar General,
include three structures, an 18- by 48-foot sawmill producing live-edge lumber; a
24-by 34-foot store to display and sell wood crafts including "wacky wood"
He going to do what alot of you builders do here. He will take the crotches and the odd pieces of wood and see something in it and build it. He is buying a Thomas wide sawmill and will be sawing with that.
I wish him luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

69bronco

Good luck to them, I hope it's a high traffic area with lots of tourists $$

thecfarm

Busy highway,not much around for tourists to really notice it. You have to make a special stop. Unless you stop at Dollar General too.  :D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

TKehl

There's money in it.  Just not sure there's enough to support that much overhead without tourists unless he also plans a good website and shipping stuff. 

Similarly, my wife and I have talked about opening a business downtown to be part of the revitalization that is trying to occur there.  It always boils down to we can build something cheaper, with less maintenance, lower utilities, and lower taxes on our farm.  Don't lose much foot traffic other than browsers.  A website and a mailbox means it could be located anywhere.

Even so, if he makes it a "destination", it can also work.  There's a little city in northern MO where a quilt shop owns half the downtown.  It's to the point where each building has a different type of fabric print.  They do 75% mail order, but have become a destination as well. 
In the long run, you make your own luck – good, bad, or indifferent. Loretta Lynn

Peter Drouin

I wish them luck.
May be you could supply him with some slabs?
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

thecfarm

There was a article in the paper,I saw a picture of a pile of logs. They are also buying a Thomas wide bandsaw mill too.
I doubt they will need slabs from me.
Olny about 20 minutes from me.

Thank You Sponsors!