iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drying 1/2" walnut?

Started by SawyerBrown, November 04, 2014, 09:08:26 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SawyerBrown

Got a call from a guy that would like me to cut his black walnut at about 1/2", eventually use as a type of paneling in his house.  Anybody have experience, or even an opinion, about how well it will dry if cut this thin?  Any special stacking/stickering required?  Thanks!
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

beenthere

Should dry pretty fast.
Are you going to do the drying for him, or just want to recommend how he should dry it? air dry or kiln dry?
Guess you need to figure out where your responsibility ends and where the customers' starts. That will help to answer your questions.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Thin stock is prone to warping.  He should use perfect sticker alignment with 12" spacing between sticks.  Even then, some warping will happen.  For this reason, many people use 5/4, dry it and then resaw.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

If the stack foundation is level, and if the stickers are on close centers like the Doc says, that is about as good as you can do. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

gfadvm

Don't know about walnut but 1/2" hackberry stickered on 16" centers with concrete block weights air dries to a nice "Ruffles" potato chip configuration!

WDH

Hackberry is some of the worst behaving wood that I have dried. 

(Sorry, Jake  :)). 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

Sweet gum (sap gum) is even worse.  The good news is that black walnut is pretty easy to drying at 1/2" with just a little extra effort.
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

WDH

Flatsawn sycamore is also a wood delinquent unless you are making airplane propellers  :).

red oaks lumber

i would'nt chance dieaster, saw heavy 5/4 dry, then resaw. my experiance has been you could have  stickers 3" apart , bad i say bad :)
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

mesquite buckeye

I dried some 1/8" red oak like that (3-4 stickers/foot) and it did pretty good. Just realize that with closer sticker spacing you will get less air movement, so you might want to fan it in the beginning if you are in a humid area. ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

5quarter

I saw a lot of 5/8" to finish at 1/2". normally I use 3/4"x 2" stickers every 16". for thin stock, I use 1/2"x1" stickers every 8". sticker only clear lumber. any knots can potentially distort the layers above. walnut tends to split at the ends so end coat your logs to minimize that. you should be fine.
What is this leisure time of which you speak?
Blue Harbor Refinishing

Thank You Sponsors!