iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Two things I don't know.

Started by Small Slick, August 31, 2014, 10:21:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Magicman

OK, guilty as charged, but I do understand cleanliness, respect, and light hearted jesting.   smiley_thumbsup

I also know that there are readers that are new to sawing, blades, resharpening, and the FF.  In no way would I want to give them the wrong impression regarding our love for sawing or the importance of proper blade handling.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Magicman

That is one thing that I do not know......now what was the other??    ???
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

red oaks lumber

do  how you want i guess  :( it's your reputation
you made money using the blade,spend some money(time)cleaning them.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

backwoods sawyer

Since we sharpen our own I take the few seconds it takes to wipe the saw down with a shop towel while rolling in a circle as soon as it comes off the mill ;)
Whole lot easier then scrapping after eveything is dried on :-\
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

SawyerBrown

WM's website says that "The blades are intensely cleaned, deburred, and washed in a solvent", so it sounds like it's part of their process regardless.  I guess my only question is, would they come out even cleanER if I returned them relatively clean.  May not be important unless it's affecting the quality of the cut or the life of the blade.

I asked Aretha Franklin about the respect thing, and all I got was:
  "R-E-S-P-E-C-T
   Find out what it means to me
   R-E-S-P-E-C-T
   Take care ... TCB"
Have no idea what that means.   :D
Pete Brown, Saw It There LLC.  Wood-mizer LT35HDG25, Farmall 'M', 16' trailer.  Custom sawing only (at this time).  Long-time woodworker ... short-time sawyer!

Bibbyman

Probably the worst thing you can do to a Resharp guy is to throw a bunch of coiled bladed in a box without wire ties or dividers.   It's a real danger to dig them our and uncoil them.

The equipment and process I've seen, they run each blade through a bath with wire brushes to clean them.  The process I seen also runs the blade through rollers to reduce the set in the teeth.  This is done to take care of teeth that had been bent out in use and to get them uniform.  The setting process tries to push the teeth back out to spec.  If it encounters more than so many teeth it sends up some flag to reject.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Chuck White

Quote from: Bibbyman on September 08, 2014, 07:31:44 AM
Probably the worst thing you can do to a Resharp guy is to throw a bunch of coiled bladed in a box without wire ties or dividers.   It's a real danger to dig them our and uncoil them.

The equipment and process I've seen, they run each blade through a bath with wire brushes to clean them.  The process I seen also runs the blade through rollers to reduce the set in the teeth.  This is done to take care of teeth that had been bent out in use and to get them uniform.  The setting process tries to push the teeth back out to spec.  If it encounters more than so many teeth it sends up some flag to reject.

I don't very often sharpen blades for others, but last year I had a cousin drop off a cube of 10 blades that were not tied and it was a bear to untangle them. 

I got down to the last 3 blades and just couldn't get them apart, so I stepped outside and rolled them out into the yard like lawn-bowling and they rolled about 15-20 feet and then started springing open!

Could be very dangerous for the unpacker!  :o
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Dave Shepard

I always try to run the lube on nasty bands before I take them off, and ideally, my lube has been doing it's job and the band never gets too bad in the first place. Occasionally a band will get sent in with some sap on it, but I don't worry about it too much. As Bibbyman stated, all bands go through the cleaning machine before sharpening. It's not like someone at ReSharp is there with a toothbrush cleaning them. :)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mesquite buckeye

Quote from: beenthere on September 02, 2014, 03:00:54 PM
QuoteAlso makes them uglier and harder to sell as RS.

Come to think of it, I don't know RS...  ::)

Rough Sawn.  ;D ;D ;D
Manage 80 acre tree farm in central Missouri and Mesquite timber and about a gozillion saguaros in Arizona.

Small Slick

Interesting stuff here! 

I've been looking to improve my lube recipe. I'll try the cascade. A local guy I know claims that you need something with alcohol like windshield washer fluid year round. I don't know.?.

I'm ready to send bands in for sharpening, and I'm debating using resharp vs a local provider. Some of my bands have been outside so there is some rust on those ones.

Lastly I agree with the gentleman from New York.  The Packers were pitiful against the Seahawks. Thanks for noticing, at least the refs didn't blow the game for them like in the past.  Google search for packers Seahawks September  24, 2012. Worst call ever.

John

Magicman

Windshield washer fluid is normally used as an antifreeze solution in the Winter.  The colder your temps are, the % WW fluid increases.   Make a search and you will find a chart showing the temp and %.

red oaks lumber

once the temps hoover freezing use washer fluid full strenght
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

Thank You Sponsors!