iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

EZ Boardwalk rear track wheels

Started by xulgiy, May 31, 2020, 08:13:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

xulgiy

My EZ boardwalk jr has always been light on the back side of the head frame causing one of the back wheels to just barely come off the track from time to time. Recently I noticed that I'm getting blade chatter at the same time I see the wheel lift.  I thought the frame must have been out of level and checked every few inches between the rails and everything is on the money.  What I noticed is that the front wheels have way more wear than the back.  In fact their starting to get a groove where the round bar stock makes contact.  This makes sense seeing how the majority of the weight in on the front of the frame.  I swapped the fronts to the rear to see if that would help, and it did a tiny bit, but I'm wondering if anyone else has had this issue, and needed to replace their track wheels. The picture of the wheel is after the swap, and you can see the slight lift and wear. 

xulgiy

Lol...and the picture posted upside down.

Nebraska

I  have seen mine do similar at the back end of the track where I park the head(the last footish or so).  I need to set the head off and check it closer I figured it was a flaw in my platform the mill is on. Yes the mill head is top heavy especially  when you have it raised for a big log. A longer carriage would help but then cut length would suffer.

BtoVin83

I'm going to throw this out there and give some insight on my mill. Now mine is homebuilt and I didn't have a lot of fancy jigs to keep everything true when welding so when it came time to set the carriage on the bed I noticed that one wheel did not set down on the track and it was riding on three wheels and was really shaky. This was after I leveled and trued the track. Rather then making new wheel rails I decided to make one wheel adjustable for height and that helped the stability a bunch. After a couple of revisions on the wheel arrangement I extended the front and rear wheels for a longer platform. This has affected the length issue but made the stability even better and I kept the one wheel adjustable for height so that all four wheels contact the track. 

ladylake

I like the  idea of a adjustable wheel, otherwise the head would nee to be squared up to the track.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

xulgiy

Interestingly enough, both rear wheels are adjustable.  I tweaked things a bit more and the wheel is lifting in only one spot near the end of the pass.  I need to double check, to see if the frame is square rail to rail.  I wonder if something got a bit whacky from trailering? Almost seems like the frame is an 1/8" tighter rail to rail at the spot where it lifts.  Thanks for the input!

BtoVin83

On the E Z Boardwalk they have vee rollers on both sides I find it hard to keep them that parallel. My mill has one side a vee and the other side a flat way. The Vee keeps the head from running off the track and the flat side the wheels can float in and out a tad so the rails don't need the precision.

xulgiy

I would agree with that observation.  That's a smart design.

Jeff

Quote from: xulgiy on May 31, 2020, 08:15:00 AM
Lol...and the picture posted upside down.
So turn it. Go to your gallery and click the rotate link. 
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!