iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Woodmizer LT35hd

Started by MReinemann, September 04, 2012, 07:26:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MReinemann

Getting close to pulling the trigger on a new LT35HD with a debarker.  Just curious to see how you guys that have one have been making out with them and what to look out for etc...
-Matt

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Great choice and congrats! Pull the trigger....go ahead.....make my day!  :D

The main thing to look out for is "WHAT YOU DO NOT READ IN THE MANUEL"

When you get your new mill, send us some pics. Can't wait!

GO   

The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

Delawhere Jack

Going from your manual mill to a hydraulic will having you grinning like a fool for at LEAST 3-4 hours (several days in my case). I don't know who Manuel is David  :D.....but you should read the manual cover to cover first thing. It's also very helpful if the dealer gives you a little walk through on setup and operation (Thanks Marty).

You already know how to mill, you'll pickup the controls pretty quickly, and you won't be dog tired from wrestling big logs at the end of the day.

DO IT!  ;D

Delawhere Jack

Looking at the specs on WM site for the LT35. It says std w/ 2  hyd. side supports and 2 manual, you'll probably want to add the two additional hyd. supports. Only $135 more. My 40 (1995) has two manual supports right in the middle, between two hyd supports. When I mill logs under 7', I've got to walk down and move them myself. Sometimes a nub on the log is sticking out, and I've got to use the cant hook to nudge the log over so that I can raise the support by hand. Long story short, I wish all of my stops (supports) were all hydraulic.

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: Delawhere Jack on September 04, 2012, 09:10:07 PM
I wish all of my stops (supports) were all hydraulic.

I think they have an upgrade kit for that.....
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

pineywoods

Bibbyman came up with a home made link to couple the 2 middle backstops to the end ones. There's a post in the sawmill section with pics.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Jim_Rogers

Quote from: pineywoods on September 05, 2012, 09:31:52 AM
Bibbyman came up with a home made link to couple the 2 middle backstops to the end ones. There's a post in the sawmill section with pics.

Yes, I think I did see that. But I'm not sure if they copied him or if he copied them..... I thought his came out first but we'll have to ask him about that.....

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

AdamT

I would double check on the debarker option. I looked at the 35 and thought I'd save some money, til I found out the debarker wasn't an option. That's when I went for the 40. This was 2 years ago and things may have changed though....

I love my hydraulic side supports. (all 4) I wonder why WM doesn't make them all hydraulic to begin with.

Good luck with your purchase! You'll have a blast milling!
2017 Wood-Mizer LT40HDD35-RA
2011 Wood-Mizer LT40 HD

It's better to have it and not need it then it is to need it and not have it

Bibbyman

Some mil owners had linked the tops of the manual back supports to the top of the power supports before I prototyped the link of the supports from below.   

The design concept used on the Wood-Mizer 4 power back support is basically the same as I developed but they link from support to support with three connection rods. My desigh still uses the long factory rod that connects the first to last.   Then I connected the first to second and forth back to third.

I understand that's four power back supports are standard on the LT40 Super and an option on the standard hydraulic.

I also think that the conversion kit will only work on the latest generation mills.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

MReinemann

Woodmizer is going to through in the hydraulic supports.  The 35 does come with a debarker, I believe that they added that option about a year ago.
-Matt

Thank You Sponsors!