iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What is it with some of you guys???

Started by Twig farmer, February 13, 2010, 09:20:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Twig farmer

I see a lot of you just loves you some detroit noisemakers.

Are you sick in the head? Is it something in the water? Bathtub Gin? Syphilis? Mother drop you on yer head?

You need help, all of you..
C5D Twig Farmer, Deutz power, "Mona".
Husky 575.
Husky 372.
F550 4x4 PSD.
Bull Strength and Ignorance.
Live FREE or die.

Dave Shepard

I'm a Cummins guy, but Detroits have some sort of allure that I can't figure out. :D Must be the noise and smoke. I used to run a Michigan 380 with a 12v71n. That was fun. 8)
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ironwood

I guess they are simple to work on, I saw a guy tear one down in the woods (3/4 mile in ) w/ the full twitch still on the winch, he had it reworked and running in a day. I heard it suck a valve (or whatever, I am no mech, but that is what it sounded like). Up an running in no time :o I was amazed.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

SwampDonkey

"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Mark K

I've run a detriot for over 10 years now. There simple to work on, has plenty of power in my 225 and will start at -15. Another plus is my dad was a detriot mechanic for 35 years. I see nothing wrong with a detriot. They are fairly cheap to rebuild.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Bobus2003

They have a Sweet Unique Sound, and thats about it.. After a bit they get annoying IMO

John Woodworth

Out west here they call Detroits cowboy engines because of the fact they are bullit proof and a good engine to break a new man in on, they run forever and are a lot easier on feul than the rest as well as cheaper to work on, you just learn to live with the noise and that noise is work being done and money in your pocket.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

chet

Put da peddle ta da floor and let er rip.  ;D   Ya gotta love dem screamers.  8)  8)  8)
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Tom

Some years ago, the pine a couple of places over was logged.  They were using a skidder with a Detroit 2 stroke and the muffler was burned up and split.  You've never heard such a caterwauling in all your life as when that thing hunkered down in the swamp with a bunch of big pines in the grapple.  It sounded like bunch of mating wildcats, chasing each other through the Vienna Boy's Choir.  I never heard such a loud, high-pitched whine in all my life.  It was carrying for miles and miles.

bushmechanic

I can only go on experience with Detroit's,we used them in double bunk Timberjack 230D forwarders.Had one once that blew up on the way out with a full load of pulpwood on.The middle cylinder was gone all together but it still pulled along with the two outside ones.It had a green operator and he didn't realize anything was wrong and he drove about a half a mile before realizing somthing was wrong.By the time I got there you could look right through the block,the connecting rod broke in half and bust out on both sides of the block,but she still ran o.k. if you could stand the racket of the rod banging about.The only thing that stopped me from driving it out of the woods was the engine oil that was pouring out of the holes in the block,it looked really bad on fresh snow.Generally put a quart of oil in and three cans of feul and your good for the day.   

Jamie_C

Ahhh yes, the sweet, sweet sound of the old screaming Detroits. I have run numerous skidders and forwarders with the 3-53 engines in them. *DanG near bullet proof and sipped fuel by todays standards. I currently run a TJ 610 forwarder with a Cummins in it that gets excellent fuel economy but still burns twice as much as the old Detroits.

I also found the old Detroits much easier to start in extremely cold weather than the Cummins we run now. Minus 30 Celsius and forget about getting the Cummins to start, the old Detroit would start with a sniff of ether and rattle & bang for a few minutes until the oil got circulated and you were good to go for the day.

mburrow

I myself take offense with the OP 
My dad had a neighbor that was a prick like the EDIT, when I rebuilt the Detroit that is in the old Allis HD7W  every time I would fire it up he would call the sheriff.   
I do like other diesels like the old gas start IH's and others except the other ones built by GM tho have no opinion duramax at this time.

the forums I admin and mod at a post like this would be considered BASHING
of the members and the engine (in this case) and would be dealt with

stonebroke

I think he is just joking, And if you can't take a joke!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Stonebroke

Twig farmer

Quote from: mburrow on February 14, 2010, 10:29:03 AM
My dad had a neighbor that was a prick like the OP, when I rebuilt the Detroit that is in the old Allis HD7W  every time I would fire it up he would call the sheriff.   
I do like other diesels like the old gas start IH's and others except the other ones built by GM tho have no opinion duramax at this time.

Admin - Photos must be in FF gallery
Husky 575.
Husky 372.
F550 4x4 PSD.
Live FREE or die.

John Mc

My dad had a neighbor that was a prick like the OP...

but calling a member a prick is OK on the forums you admin or moderate?
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

mburrow

Quote from: stonebroke on February 14, 2010, 10:36:08 AM
I think he is just joking, And if you can't take a joke!!!! :D :D :D :D :D :D :D

Stonebroke

it is not worded like a joke I have read in fa few other of his post where he has put down the Detroit I have no problem with his dislike of the  Detroit just the way he made  the post

Twig farmer

Quote from: John Mc on February 14, 2010, 10:46:40 AM
My dad had a neighbor that was a prick like the OP...

but calling a member a prick is OK on the forums you admin or moderate?

Owned.
Husky 575.
Husky 372.
F550 4x4 PSD.
Live FREE or die.

mburrow

I apologize for the wording calling a prick and have edited that in my post

Twig farmer

Quote from: mburrow on February 14, 2010, 10:54:39 AM
I apologize for the wording calling a prick and have edited that in my post

I wasn't offended, but thanks. This thread was a joke, nothing more.
Husky 575.
Husky 372.
F550 4x4 PSD.
Live FREE or die.

treefarmer87

i dont care what kind of motor it is as long as it pull logs out of the woods people around here say a detriot is a poor mans motor, but i like the way they sound i like a cummins or a deutz just as well
1994 Ford L9000
2004 Tigercat 718
1998 Barko 225
1999 John Deere 748G
FEC 1550 slasher
CTR 314 Delimber
Sthil 461
Sthil 250

wi woodcutter

What has you guys so worked up this morning? ???
2-066's ms660 034av 076av huskee 27ton splitter CB5036
A guard dog needs food, water, shelter, walking and training.
My Smith & Wesson only needs a little oil!

Jamie_C

Quote from: wi woodcutter on February 14, 2010, 11:23:21 AM
What has you guys so worked up this morning? ???

It's Valentine's Day, just feel the love  ;D

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Texas Ranger

The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

Mark K

One thing about a Detriot, everybody within a 2 mile radius knows when I'm working. I don't have to worry about them flying bloodsuckers during the summer time, works better than using bug spray ;D.
Husky 372's-385's,576, 2100
Treefarmer C7D
Franklin 405
Belsaw m-14 sawmill

Thank You Sponsors!