iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Small projects

Started by Ruffgear, August 29, 2019, 09:05:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruffgear

a couple of small projects I've been working on. 3 cedar wall tables installed at local brewery. And a box a lady wanted for grandson baptism. Box is spalted Maple and walnut

samandothers

They don't look small in terms of work and skill.   I really like to cedar table top.  The spalted box is very nice look especially with the inlayed cross.
Very good job!

DWyatt

Seeing cedar looking like that makes me wish we had some of the stuff around here! I really like the walnut spline in the box, the simple features sometimes make the project! 

thecfarm

Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DPatton

I like the end cuts in the wall behind the box too.
TimberKing 1600, 30' gooseneck trailer, Chevy HD2500, Echo Chainsaw, 60" Logrite.

Work isn't so bad when you enjoy what your doing.
D & S Sawmill Services

Ruffgear

Quote from: DPatton on September 02, 2019, 10:17:00 PM
I like the end cuts in the wall behind the box too.
Thanks, I sometimes have a problem throwing out my scraps, so I put them to use here. Way to much time involved in it though :)

Ruffgear

Finished a dining table for my bride just in time for Christmas. Still needs a final finish or oiling, depending on what I decide. Made of white oak.

r>

boonesyard

LT50 wide
Riehl Steel Edger
iDRY Standard kiln
BMS 250/BMT 250
JD 4520 w/FEL
Cat TH255 Telehandler
lots of support equipment and not enough time

"I ain't here for a long time, I'm here for a good time"

kantuckid

Quote from: DWyatt on August 29, 2019, 09:32:01 AM
Seeing cedar looking like that makes me wish we had some of the stuff around here! I really like the walnut spline in the box, the simple features sometimes make the project!
You do! OH has cedar!!! And it's made easier to use it as it air dries easily too.
One of several cedar focused mills is near Flemingsburg, KY, another is near Paris, KY and yet another larger one is off the Blue Grass Pkwy near Washington CO, KY. Cedars not a favorite wood of mine but I have sawed and used several thousand BF of it. Nowdays much decent cedar goes into the pet trade. I had a deal going on some TN logs-the logger told me he watched VG logs chipped into bedding down near him in Marysville, TN. he reneged on our deal and I bought my logs from a UPS man near me. he'd bought an old farm and cleaned it off.
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

kantuckid

Quote from: Ruffgear on January 05, 2020, 11:03:21 AM

Finished a dining table for my bride just in time for Christmas. Still needs a final finish or oiling, depending on what I decide. Made of white oak.

r>
A finish I have come to like is Watco Danish oil to bring out the color, then 72 hours later put on Watco or Minwax poly wipe finish. I buy Watco's products cheapest on Amazon from a Kansas hardware seller there-not free shipping but in bulk, buying finish & glue the amount doesn't go up for multiples, so comes out way less overall.
The poly is logical on a table as it's durable yet thin enough to keep the woods characterand the oil does for the color and grain what an old time oil varnish will do.
Another VG finish to consider is the satin varnish from Waterlox. I used it on my wide board oak floors in my new room addition. It makes grain and color pop seriously on oak & chestnut!!! It's pricey but also extremely durable. I got mine cheapest from a hardware chain ordering it. I called the factory asking questions and the guy on the phone said he'd had it on his floors over 25 years and still looked like new-mines been on since 2005, same story. it does darken the wood via oil, not stain.

Ruffgear

Quote from: kantuckid on January 05, 2020, 03:25:11 PM

Another VG finish to consider is the satin varnish from Waterlox. I used it on my wide board oak floors in my new room addition. It makes grain and color pop 
Thanks guys. I've used the watco products have not used Waterlox yet, now may be a good time to give it a try. I need to get a couple bench's done for it also

kantuckid

I paid for a gallon what most places get fo a qt on Waterlox. It was a hardware chain last time I bought the stuff. It is amazing what it does to certain woods.

Kaitlyn_D

Beautiful work! I especially love the cross. ;)

Thank You Sponsors!