iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

couple pics... post what your currently cutting

Started by RunningRoot, January 27, 2015, 08:41:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

barbender

You change women more than I change my undies, I'm surprised you'd take their opinion into account on your career path😊
Too many irons in the fire

teakwood

National Stihl Timbersports Champion Costa Rica 2018

doc henderson

@barbender in theory you may need to change your underwear more often... just sayin! :D :D :D :D
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

Bandmill Bandit

Sides are ready for stakes. End gates are next.

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

barbender

Once a week, whether they need it or not, Doc!😁😂

doc henderson

after Philmont, we started getting the deluth undies.  the idea at the scout ranch was to only come with 2 pair.  one to wear and one to wash out in a stream and dry and wear the next day.  Hope there were not too many folks upstream as that was the same water we filtered and drank.   :D ;)  making our moms proud!!
Timber king 2000, 277c track loader, PJ 32 foot gooseneck, 1976 F700 state dump truck, JD 850 tractor.  2007 Chevy 3500HD dually, home built log splitter 18 horse 28 gpm with 5 inch cylinder and 32 inch split range with conveyor powered by a 12 volt tarp motor

nativewolf

@barbender Just another sad commentary on how much more progressive the northern loggers are.  Now I find out that you guys use underwear.  Setting the bar higher and higher.  Pretty soon I won't be able to hire anyone.  

Kidding aside, we have only interviewed a few folks and nobody we want to hire.  Hope someone sends us a good candidate soon.
Liking Walnut

SwampDonkey

Send them brush cutting for a 40 hr week on carpet thick fir, that'll weed a few. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

nativewolf

weeding?  @SwampDonkey  I need keepers.  Heck the money is good...I am utterly confounded that I can't find anyone.  We're going to talk to the some employment agencies soon.

@barbender what news on that crane?
Liking Walnut

barbender

NW, I'll keep my ear to the ground for operators that are willing to relocate. Have you talked to Pekka about operators? There's usually a few operators, often Finnish nationals that tend to be excellent operators, floating around the Ponsse network. When my friend first got started in contract harvesting in Georgia years back, the machine came with it's own Finnish operator😂 Haari was (and is) an excellent harvester operator, and having him on the crew really gave my friend a leg up in his operation. Also, I'm not certain but I have my suspicions that wearing underwear isn't a real high priority for the Finns, so they would fit right in that way😂

barbender

Our mechanics got the new main boom installed. I haven't heard if Ponsse is helping or covering the cost of it.

barbender

As far as operators, it's tough. Up here, out best luck with the younger guys is farm boys. They seem to still understand what work is. We've got one young guy (I think he's 22) his dad is a contract cutter with 2 machines. He puts in the hours and cuts a lot of wood. He was a bit rough on equipment and a bit knot headed for the first few years, but he's really doing an excellent job now. Their other operator is young as well, maybe a year or two older. Also an excellent operator. They are out there. It's a matter of finding guys with the right attitude and some aptitude for running equipment. The rest, I'd almost prefer them green- then you train them how you want them, instead of them trying to show you how much they know.

nativewolf

Quote from: barbender on September 17, 2019, 04:02:43 PM
As far as operators, it's tough. Up here, out best luck with the younger guys is farm boys. They seem to still understand what work is. We've got one young guy (I think he's 22) his dad is a contract cutter with 2 machines. He puts in the hours and cuts a lot of wood. He was a bit rough on equipment and a bit knot headed for the first few years, but he's really doing an excellent job now. Their other operator is young as well, maybe a year or two older. Also an excellent operator. They are out there. It's a matter of finding guys with the right attitude and some aptitude for running equipment. The rest, I'd almost prefer them green- then you train them how you want them, instead of them trying to show you how much they know.
Yes I am actually looking for green guys for the forwarder driver.  I thought about asking about Finnish or Sweedish guys.  However that Florida hurricane cleanup had at one point 25 Ponsse crews from the UP down there and that's a lot of operators.  Several machines sold just to do that work, crazy rates is what I hear.  
A Finn could leave Oitti and head here in October and never see winter til he got back to Finland for a vacation in April. :D
Liking Walnut

barbender

They had one guy come over from Finland on some kind of work program, as far as I understood it. Ponsse was serving as some sort of international temp agency, as near as I could understand. It's worth looking into.

snowstorm

Quote from: nativewolf on September 17, 2019, 07:22:34 PM
Quote from: barbender on September 17, 2019, 04:02:43 PM
Yes I am actually looking for green guys for the forwarder driver.  I thought about asking about Finnish or Sweedish guys.  However that Florida hurricane cleanup had at one point 25 Ponsse crews from the UP down there and that's a lot of operators.  Several machines sold just to do that work, crazy rates is what I hear.  
A Finn could leave Oitti and head here in October and never see winter til he got back to Finland for a vacation in April. :D
did you try the school i told you about in northern me?

SwampDonkey

Quote from: nativewolf on September 17, 2019, 03:44:16 PM
weeding?  @SwampDonkey  I need keepers.  Heck the money is good...I am utterly confounded that I can't find anyone.  We're going to talk to the some employment agencies soon.

@barbender what news on that crane?
:D can't get the young fellas to work at all here. Most guys are mid 40-60's that are working a clearing saw.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Skeans1

@nativewolf
Besides benefits and wage how many months out of the year are you guys honestly working? Another key is with the government work that's contract what sort of work are you doing? Private?

nativewolf

we could cut almost 12 months a year.  We don't get that much snow and we work through mud if we can and if it is too muddy to work in spring we are doing other work.  Hours won't change.
Liking Walnut

nativewolf

We also are seeing some recovery in log pricing.
Liking Walnut

barbender

One problem you will have NW, is that you will need a well above average processor operator for the wood you are cutting. Bucking high grade hardwood is a little tricky and not everyone gets it (not claiming I do). I would think a good candidate would be an experienced hand faller/bucker, if they weren't a toothless hack. Someone that already understands the dynamics of a falling tree, how to buck the grade out- maybe 50 years old and looking for something easier on the body. Someone looking to make their job easier without destroying a machine. A Ponsse Bear is an absolute beast, but it's still a finesse machine compared to conventional logging equipment.

nativewolf

I agree, someone that handcut at some point in life would be nice.  Someone that had worked a loader on a knuckle boom would be nice.  I thought I had someone ...wouldn't relocate.  
Liking Walnut

ehp

I cannot get anyone to work around here , well I guess I should of said I cannot get anyone that will work around here. Sure I can get people that want huge money but have no clue on what their doing and I can get lots more done by myself . Its pretty sad honestly. So what footage did I get this week. A big huge Fat 0 . First time I never seen a log truck all week , they must be hiding ;D. Barge you should see the great ash Im cutting right now 8). Its bad, I mean real bad and dangerous as anything to cut . Zero leaf on tree and outside first 2 or so inches of wood is pretty much powder . The first crack you hear when cutting the stump Im flying to get away from it . Half the time the top does not go with the tree . I did cut some nice white oak this week .

chevytaHOE5674

NW if I wasn't neck deep in work of my own UP here I'd love to come down and get you up and running. Just got a guy up and running and still answering questions for their operator when needed. Kind of fun side gig.

BargeMonkey

pictures dont show just how rugged this ground is.
Climb down over the 6-10' ledge, dozer operator would pass me the saw, cut tree and RUN 🤣

ash and more ash.

Almost done on this one, getting shut out soon for hunting season. My next 3 jobs are all ash heavy, keep cutting till it looks like a cornfield.
 Unfortunately it's that time of the yr again. 

load after load of processor food. 

thecfarm

Kinda steep too!!
Leased land for hunting? Is that why the shut down? Here the deer like the sound of skidders,chainsaw and forwarders. They know that means food.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!