iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

mobile 127 upgrade question

Started by cwk266, July 18, 2011, 08:32:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

cwk266

Hi I bought a factory frame setup and a complete rack and pinion setup for my model 127.Everything is pretty much bolted together(I hope it works as nice as it looks)Having never seen this setup in use I have a question about the rack and pinion offset operation.The frame is bolted to the shoe through a factory bracket at the head end and bolted through a factory supplied bar at the tail end.Once everything is bolted up tight how does the offset end travel without binding?Do I need to leave the bolt at both ends loosened off enough for the frame to be able to pivot on the shoe or am I missing something?
When I bought this saw I set it up on a wood frame and used the fairlead and lumber gauge setup which after using it a bit I found it was pretty easy to screw up the depth of the cut with the lumber gauge resulting in boards with a taper in thickness from end to end.The saw was bought for hobby purposes only and after cutting up some logs that were laying around the saw earned enough to pay for the frame and rack and pinion as well as supplying myself with lumber for several building projects around the farm.Very happy with saw and hope that this new setup will make getting the measurements accurate easier.Any tips on using the rack and pinion would be great as I mentioned I have not seen it in operation.Thanks   

DanG

Yes the shoe will need to swivel a bit, as the track beam is not always perpendicular to the frame.  I have no idea what the specs are, since I've never had to address any issues on that part of my 128.  I suggest calling the factory and talk with Ron or one of the techs to get the exact procedure.  I'm sure that too much play would be detrimental.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

cwk266

Does your 128 frame fasten to the shoe with a single bolt up through the middle of the shoe through the bottom of the frame through a bar that spans the upper side of the bottom of the frame or is it different thanks

DanG

I think we need to clarify some terminology here.  I'm not fully understanding what part you mean by "frame."  The shoe, if it is what I'm thinking, rides along the crossfeed beam.  There is a single point of fastening at each end of the mill that attaches the track beam to the shoes at their respective ends.  The shoe must be allowed to swivel, with respect to the track beam, so that you can adjust for tapered logs.  You can disconnect the far end of the rack and pinion system from the operator end controls, to allow these adjustments, so the shoe will be out of perpendicular with the track beam a good part of the time.  I recommend that you call the factory and get the exact procedure for installing these bolts.  If you don't have a manual, I suggest that you order one.  There are many adjustments on the mill that require rather exact procedures to accomplish.  Your mill's performance will be greatly enhanced by having these adjustments properly done. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

cwk266

Thanks DanG that answered my question the way I had it set up the track was fastened tight to the shoe and the offset movement was happening between the shoe and the cross beam instead of between the shoe and the track frame.Good advise about the manual I have one but could not find anything more specific than attach the frame to the shoe

DanG

Good deal!  That connection is one of the few places on my mill I haven't had to even think about over the years.  Mine is trailer mounted and was all assembled when I got it.  I don't know what the result would be if you get the bolt too loose.

cwk266

exactly what I was concerned about.Seems like a bit of a weak link as the bolt is fairly small to start off with and then leaving it backed off enough for movement is a bit scary.It is that loud crashing sound of the saw flipping off the shoe I dont want to hear.Thanks for the help and have a good one 8)

Thank You Sponsors!