iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How far do you ship lumber?

Started by Kansas, August 17, 2013, 08:20:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kansas

A customer with ties to Kansas had us ship some lumber back to Virginia. 30" pieces, Casey shipped by Fed Ex. The package arrived beat up, but did make it. This guy works for the government, either the state department or  something else. He called he wants the same order shipped to South Africa. Unusual species, like mulberry, red elm, qs sycamore, a few others. It doesn't amount to much, but it will be the farthest by far we have ever shipped. Does FedEx or UPS even go to South Africa? Guessing they do. It won't be much of a moneymaker, but its just the idea of doing it.

How far do you guys ever ship?

drobertson

Never shipped, lost a few orders due to the cost of shipping, these were mainly north, Mich, and Penn,  I always figured if they want to pay for it, you can ship it anywhere in the world,  david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Kansas

Had one guy from England who's wife came from this area. He wanted to take a bunch of lumber back. We planed it, cut it into suitcase sized pieces, and it went on the airplane with him. We didn't ship it, but had a retired couple that lived in Canada and they stopped by in a motor home and picked up some kiln dried. Ship a couple of boxes of small pieces of cottonwood back to Utah every month. Not a great money maker, but guess it keeps the boy scouts happy. (It goes into fire starting kits)

drobertson

the last time I checked, it was just over 2 bucks a mile on a semi, for the size loads I was quoting, this ran the price just under 2 bucks a board foot, green. not worth it on their end, it has been a too bad so sad situation for small orders,   david
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

Kcwoodbutcher

I don't normally ship, to much hassle and there's a good market here. I did ship to Alaska once. Stuffed a large flat rate box full of hedge and hophornbeam. Total coat for shipping was about thirteen dollars. I think the post office lost money on that one.
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

red oaks lumber

monday have 5000 sqft of flooring leaving on a flat bed heading to las vegas. last year had a container of floor go to england also a half container went to japan.
we ship alot all over, dosent seem to be a big deal.
the experts think i do things wrong
over 18 million b.f. processed and 7341 happy customers i disagree

WH_Conley

Sent 2 pallets of chocks to Canada. Buyer pays. Little bit of hassle dealing with customs broker. Not much. Bottom line said it was a good deal.
Bill

scsmith42

Steve, I ship all over the US and am starting to ship to Canada as well.  FedEx is pretty user friendly and they go everywhere.  Usually for orders less than 8' long and less than 400 lbs I will ship via FedEx Ground (multiple packages <100 lbs).  Over 400 lbs goes LTL.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Cedarman

I have shipped lumber to every state in the union except Wyoming.  But a couple that lived in Wyoming moved local, so does that count.  We have shipped to Scandinavia, Italy, Japan , Canada, China.  I use a broker for overseas for container loads.  LTL in US for 300# or more.  Fedex for 300 or less.  Probably 80% or our wood is sold further than 100 miles from us.  I use Freightquote to get a good price, have customers pay for wood and shipping up front.  For companies that buy trailer loads, they usually get 30 days.
We still can't saw it fast enough.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!