iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Watcha Growing

Started by 21incher, June 28, 2016, 08:01:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

coxy

better keep that quiet it is against  the law to  catch and release skunks to a different place  in NY  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

21incher

Quote from: coxy on July 23, 2016, 11:29:07 PM
better keep that quiet it is against  the law to  catch and release skunks to a different place  in NY  ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ???

Turned out to be a squirrel.  Caught him munching. Never knew they liked tomatoes. Phew that was a relief. We were going to call animal control if we caught  a skunk. Saw a beautiful  red fox walk through the yard,  that should help controlling the critters.  :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

Den Socling

Patti has six raised beds. Every year she leaves one fallow to compost kitchen scraps. As usual, the other five look great but she has to water them almost every night. No ripe tomatoes yet but her plants are loaded with green tomatoes which are growing fast.

ppine

21incher,
Would it make sense to install a drip system and save yourself all of that time watering?
Forester

21incher

Quote from: ppine on July 25, 2016, 10:26:02 AM
21incher,
Would it make sense to install a drip system and save yourself all of that time watering?

I don't think so. We usually can go the whole season without watering once. Hopefully it will not get this dry again so I really do not want to spend alot of money installing tubing. We use watering cans that allow  us to target the plants just like a drip system, and we usually find some weeds to pull at the same time. I am celebrating today because we got .17 inches of rain this morning. :)
Hudson HFE-21 on a custom trailer, Deere 4100, Kubota BX 2360, Echo CS590 & CS310, home built wood splitter, home built log arch, a logrite cant hook and a bread machine. And a Kubota Sidekick with a Defective Subaru motor.

21incher

Started picking beans yesterday. Been canning and pickling for the last 3 weeks. My wife has a freezer 1/2 full of zucchini bread, zucchini cakes, And fried eggplant.  digin1
https://youtu.be/sg1D8OfYt_w

21incher

Here is what my garden looks like now. Never had plants grow this big before. :)
https://youtu.be/y5-73DW-UI0

thecfarm

I spend time watering with a can,peppers and tomatoes. I fertilizer them at the same time. Tomatoes I may not use so much fertilizer,but feel the peppers need all the help they can get with my short growing season.Peppers are not doing as good as in past years. Most years I pick them just about like tomatoes,alot of them. I did a shallow trench and plant the cukes in it. I lay the hose at the start of it and turn it on and come back in 15-20 minutes and the trench is full. Celery I do the same thing.
Some of her herb beds are looking dry. Most years I don't water them much,I should be watering them more than what I have. As I say,it's on the list.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

69bronco

Been a good year for onions.

21incher

They look good. I skipped onions this year, but everything else has been fantastic. I have to admit that I just go to the public market in the fall and buy my onions and potatoes anymore for about $10.00 for a 50 lb bag of each right from local farms. :)

coxy

what is the best way to keep onions all winter if I try they end up as mush and rotten

21incher

Quote from: coxy on August 17, 2016, 10:38:07 PM
what is the best way to keep onions all winter if I try they end up as mush and rotten
I put mine in plastic baskets with ventilation holes in my root cellar and they will last all winter. Try and keep the temp in the 40's. Make sure that they are hardended off and there are no wet spots on any of them when you put them away. Then about once a month I will check for any that may be getting soft.  Cooking onions will last the longest and the large sweet ones should be used first. Also be carefull what you store near each other.  Some veggies can out gas gasses that cause others to spoil faster. :)

69bronco

Quote from: coxy on August 17, 2016, 10:38:07 PM
You have to keep them cool- 30-40°. As 21 said, the sweeter the onion the shorter the storage life.

21incher

I just picked and tried to eat my first sweet corn. It is the worst corn that I have ever tasted.  It looked good, but tasted like a old dry starchy rubber tire. I guess it is like that because we have been in a severe drought and I tried to save water by not watering the corn.  I was wondering why the coons did not touch it this year >:(

69bronco

Funny, I'm getting the best sweet corn I've ever grown. Started picking the last week of July, 4 different varieties should run through labor day. Mine is in gravel soil, haven't watered it.

Grizzly

Quote from: 21incher on August 18, 2016, 06:53:49 PM
, but tasted like a old dry starchy rubber tire.

Enjoy reading about the gardening. But I did get curious as to how you know what that tastes like!!   :D :D
2011 - Logmaster LM-2 / Chinese wheel loader
Jonsered saws - 2149 - 111S - 90?
2000 Miners 3-31 Board Edger

21incher

Quote from: Grizzly on August 19, 2016, 12:36:34 PM
Quote from: 21incher on August 18, 2016, 06:53:49 PM
, but tasted like a old dry starchy rubber tire.

Enjoy reading about the gardening. But I did get curious as to how you know what that tastes like!!   :D :D

I know that I have had that taste in my mouth before. I may have been a goat in a previous life.  :o :o

Magicman

I am shocked that you guys know what an old starchy rubber tire taste like.  :o

Among other things I will stick with Grits and Boiled Peanuts.   :D

Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

POSTON WIDEHEAD

Quote from: Magicman on August 19, 2016, 04:52:16 PM
I am shocked that you guys know what an old starchy rubber tire taste like.  :o

Don't eat the ones in the can.  :D :D :D
The older I get I wish my body could Re-Gen.

scgargoyle

Anyone know where the 'off' switch is on a cucumber vine? I picked 10 this week, from ONE plant! I like the occasional pickle, but this is ridiculous. :D
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

thecfarm

All is looking good guys.
I might only have a few more weeks of growing here. Never know. Last year did not get a frost until mid Oct. Might get one the first week of Sept. Seems like we may get one frost then it will warm up and not get another for a month,which would be Oct. I cover up what I want to keep and get it by for a month more of growing.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

21incher

Quote from: scgargoyle on August 20, 2016, 05:55:26 AM
Anyone know where the 'off' switch is on a cucumber vine? I picked 10 this week, from ONE plant! I like the occasional pickle, but this is ridiculous. :D
When life gives you cucumbers get a crock and make pickles. I was getting about 30 lbs a day from a couple of plants and finally stopped watering them. I really enjoyed watching them shrivel up and die.  ;D

21incher

Quote from: thecfarm on August 20, 2016, 06:16:10 AM
All is looking good guys.
I might only have a few more weeks of growing here. Never know. Last year did not get a frost until mid Oct. Might get one the first week of Sept. Seems like we may get one frost then it will warm up and not get another for a month,which would be Oct. I cover up what I want to keep and get it by for a month more of growing.
I thought Maine would be burried in snow by Oct1.  :D

Greyhound

Yesterday, wife made gazpacho from tomato's, cukes, onions and peppers from our garden.  Last night we slaughtered some roosters and this made a fantastic chicken noodle soup.  The garden has done pretty well this year.  However, the okra didn't work this year.  I love fresh okra right off the vine.  It pickles up real good too.  Better luck next summer

21incher

We have had great luck with okra this year, I like it grilled and fried. :)
https://youtu.be/brF9sW47BhI

Thank You Sponsors!