iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The old way of felling trees (with a felling axe)

Started by nebruks, July 02, 2011, 09:21:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nebruks

Hello everybody.

This winter I decided to cut down some trees in my own forest for my upcoming log and timber frame family house project. I made a decision to do in this project as much as possible using only human energy, hand tools and historical and traditional techniques of working with wood and timber. To get the feeling of how it has been done in the old days. The next step will be hand hewing with a Gransfors Bruks 1900 broadaxe and German style finishing broadaxe.

There are some good memories from this winter work in forest. The air temperature was -20 degrees (Cesium) and the new moon was raising.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mkvS4k9xfsY

Tom

What a wonderful video!

You are quite a talented fellow.   I didn't do very good with the written word at the end, but I certainly could not help but get involved with the pictures.  I will certainly look forward to more of this as you progress.

Welcome to the Forestry Forum. :)

*note:  I especially liked the effort at 2:14 where the seedling was moved aside.  It reminded me of someone stepping aside to avoid an ant on a sidewalk.  :)

lumberjack48

Reminds me of strip cutting swamp Spruce back in the 60's, but with a chainsaw, XL12 Homelite, pick axe, 100" measure stick, and lots of sandwich's.

I could cut, limb, and pile 300 to 400 sticks a day, [10 cents a stick] [6 to 8 cords] depended on how good the timber was.

These were the best days of my life

Very good video nebruks, looks like your enjoying your selves, make fun out of it not a job
Third generation logger, owner operator, 30 yrs felling experience with pole skidder. I got my neck broke back in 89, left me a quad. The wife kept the job going up to 96.

Ron Scott

~Ron

mad murdock

Very Nice nebruks 8) 8) I am a fan of all things old school, good tools, good wood, good times!  Welcome to the forestry forum.  Looks like you guys could benefit from a larger 2 man saw, get through the bucking cuts faster.  That small 2 man saw you guys were using in the video was doing a fine job though.  Great job on the videography, especially the accent (framing) you put on it, really nicely done!  Can't wait to see more of your progress.  Thanks for sharing :)
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Autocar

Yep I agree you fellows need a longer stroke saw ! I have two six foot cross cut racing saws up in the shop. I bought one out of California and the other one I had custom made from New Zealand,right now Ive lost his name but he put his name on the saw. But one thing they cut wood in a hurry  ;D
Bill

Banjo picker

Welcome to the forum...I enjoyed the video...and I am glad Tom recomended it or I probably would not have watched it....thanks again....Tim
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

nebruks

Hello again!

Thanks everyone for kind words.

A little bit about myself.

My name is Jacob. I am 26.

I live in Latvia (Lettland). I am overtaken by traditional log and timber architecture and craftsmanship since I was a child. I have restored a log cabin that has been built in 1910 and also made some simple timber frame buildings for myself so far.

Here you can see the cabin restoration process:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NNhxDUsESUM

I am willing to practice more and deepen my experience and skills in timber buildings.

I was in Sweden last autumn to log building courses organised by famous axe factory - Gransfors Bruks. I have some of Gransfors axes. Those are very good tools. Tools with a soul.

No I am working on my next (bigger) project - to build a house for my family using timber frame technique and insulating the walls with hand hewn logs and pine wood shavings. I have prepared all the timber in my own forest as you saw in the video.

I will build the house mostly with hand tools and human energy. I have almost all the old tools that I need - a broadaxe (Swedish and German style), mortise axe, chisels, slick, crosscut saw, auger bit hand drills, drawknifes, some layout tools... I also made a shaving horse last week for peg making. I will use dry maple wood for pegs.

Now I am almost done with the foundation and the basement building and I will start the framing and hand hewing process in a few days.

Here is a short video of making the hand splitted stone (boulder) foundation for  my family house:

http://vimeo.com/24390643

Ron Scott

~Ron

customsawyer

I really liked all the videos and the way you work with your lovely family.
Two LT70s, Nyle L200 kiln, 4 head Pinheiro planer, 30" double surface Cantek planer, Lucas dedicated slabber, Slabmizer, and enough rolling stock and chainsaws to keep it all running.
www.thecustomsawyer.com

Coon

Welcome to the forum and thanks for sharing the videos of your hard work.   ;D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

mad murdock

another awesome video of some very nice handiwork 8) 8) 8)  You got some skills!  Thanks for posting again!!  Can't wait to see more.
Turbosawmill M6 (now M8) Warrior Ultra liteweight, Granberg Alaskan III, lots of saws-gas powered and human powered :D

Magicman

I am a little late finding this thread, but I admire your craftsmanship, skill and determination.  Welcome to the Forestry Forum.  I look forward to reading your future posts.   :)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

hisliptree3

great video! im also working with hand tools to cut up an oak tree. in the mean time im also restoring a few axes to good working condition. great topic, love original logging techniques!

duke

WOW, You are one talented young man. It has always been my dream to build what you have done for yourself. Your family must be very proud of you. I really liked the shingle work that you did on the roof. That really looks cool. It is amazing what one can do with simple hand tools. For carpentry I have always liked to use a hammer and nails. I don't really like the air nailers that much. Worked with a young guy years ago, could nail off a sheet of plywood really fast, LOL. He would walk away and my partner and I would try and keep a straight face as it fell off as the young man turned to walk away!! True story! I think about one nail in 20 actually hit a stud and then half the time it was driven so deep into the plywood that it would not hold anything anyway. If I tried to show the guy how too adjust the air supply he would just get mad and walk away.
Duke

Don K

This is a older thread that slipped by me. A beautiful country you live in. You are a very talented young man that is not afraid of hard, honest work. You seem like a great provider for your family and your videos made me smile with shots of your lovely family. It would truly amazing to meet you some day.

Welcome to the forum and I personally look forward to seeing more of your work.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

DeerMeadowFarm

Silver_Eagle

My word's can not express the beauty presented in the cabin video. Simply amazing. 

petefrom bearswamp

Great subject and superb videos.
Do not lose much resolution when increased to full screen.
Felling reminds me of my youth at the NYS Ranger School at Wanakena NY in 1958, felling and limbing with an axe and "misery whip" AKA crosscut saw.
the work shows European craftsmanship at its finest.
congrats Jacob!
What a good looking family!
Please update us on your progress o your projects.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

samandothers

Very nice!  You are very talented not just with building skills but with video too.

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Thank You Sponsors!