iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Chainsaw bars

Started by Bro. Noble, January 26, 2003, 08:21:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bro. Noble

It's easy to get into an interesting discussion on what kind of saw is the best.  How big of a saw a guy needs,  and how to modify a saw to get a little more power out of it.  There have been a few posts on chain types and and a little on grinders and sharpening.  The recent one on bar oil is the closest to a post on bar maintenance that I'v seen.

I used to teach veterans agriculture classes.  One of the sessions that drew the most interest was on chainsaw maintenance.  They all brought their saws in and I brought in a chainsaw guy.  Except for a couple,  these class members  weren't loggers but mainly used their saws for firewood and cleaning fencrows.  The chains and bars on almost everyone of them were a real mess.  The bar rails were uneven and had soft spots and chunks out of them from being too hot.  Running the chains some of them had would ruin a bar in short order.

How about one of you chainsaw guys giving us some tips on bar maintenence-----how to spot bar wear or damage, what to do about it (prevention and repair),  when to replace the bar and other stuff I don't know enough about to ask.

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

DanG

Great idea, Noble. 8) That will help us all.

Sometimes the Forum goes a little dead, and I think it is more from a lack of good questions, than anything else. If you guys have questions, don't be afraid to ask. These guys know their stuff, and sure ain't afraid to share their knowledge.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Oregon_Rob

I am no expert, so I have two of my bars being rework by these guys http://www.chainbar.com
I have heard they do good work, resize the groove, flatten, grind.... All real cheap.
Since they are only about 25 miles away, I drove over and dropped them off and will pick them up the end of this week. I bought my 372 from a local logger and the 32" bar was in some rough shape, the bar was worn away near the tip. The guy is going to build the bar back up with hard face material, and rework the entire bar for $21. He expects the general recondition on my 24" to be somewhere around $11.
I do the normal file the burrs down..., but think it will be worth the $$$ to have these guys do a good once over.
Chainsaw Nerd

Larry

Never heard of building up a bar with hard face material but it sounds like it is a good idea.  I bought a bar rail closer a few years back and it works good to tighten up the groove.  I looked in the Baileys catalog and they have them for $24.95 and Madsens probably have them to.
Larry
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Kevin

johnjbc

I  have been able to tighten up a bar grove with a vise. You need to find a piece of metal the right thickness to use as a spacer so you don't get it to tight. A piece of power hacksaw blade is about the right thickness. Only works once or twice until the bar groves becomes keyhole shaped and don't support the chain. Then you will cut curves
John

LT40HDG24, Case VAC, Kubota L48, Case 580B, Cat 977H, Bobcat 773

Kevin

John,
You can use an old chain that matches the bar, the drivers are the proper thickness.

Oregon_Rob

8)
I just picked up my bars and they look real nice!
Both bars (24 & 32) had been ground both sides, Looks like some the slot was deepened, edges ground  and on the 32" there was a lot of metal missing near the tip. They added hard facing and built the area back up to be even with the tip, and all was ground flush again.
They look great! If you bar looks tired, give it a shot, the link is in my post above.

Total cost $23.00
Chainsaw Nerd

whitepe

Don't have much to say about chainsaw bars but
back in November I visited my first cigar bar.  It had a nice
pool table too!   8)
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Bro. Noble

I hope you didn't get oiled ::)

Noble

OneWithWood

Or grooved!  :D  :D  ;D
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

whitepe

Actually I am not a smoker so I didn't have any cigars.  :D
However, I did have some 12 year old Macallan.
Check it out on www.themacallan.com
Real smooth  8)
blue by day, orange by night and green in between

Bro. Noble

I used to keep a little home-made stuff around to give visiting flatlanders a treat.  Looked for it one day and couldn't find it.  Asked my wife if she'd seen it.  She said she threw it out a long time ago.  She said it had been around for three or four years,  she smelled it and was sure it had gone bad. :'(

Noble

OneWithWood

There is nothing so soothing as a good single malt.  It is starting to sound like there are a bunch of reasons to get out and go visitin'  8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!