iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old chainsaw bars

Started by michiganmilkman, January 05, 2016, 02:28:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

michiganmilkman

Hi does anyone know of a place to buy a  sawbar that can be modified to fit old saws. Kinda like a blank bar

Jhenderson

Their kinda spendy but I'm sure Cannon can help you out. Might even make it to your specs.

gspren

Did you check with chainsawr, one of our sponsors? Maybe you could find a longer bar and shorten to make a blank, make a 20" out of a 24".
Stihl 041, 044 & 261, Kubota 400 RTV, Kubota BX 2670, Ferris Zero turn

Al_Smith

The easiest thing to do is use a Stihl mount bar with spacers .For one the Stihl bars have a wide heel and above all else are readily available .

You might need to modify the bar tightening hole and oil hole but most of the time it's not that big of a deal .

If you care go to "chainsaw collectors corner " website .Look up Homelite 2100 S .That is my saw and it has a 36" bar made for a Stihl  066 .Windsor brand, Stihl mount .

michiganmilkman

Thanks that is exactly what I want to do. I have a old sears 917.61406. Its gear drive with half inch chain. Just want to keep the old thing alive and useful

Al_Smith

I've got one myself .Forget the Stihl bar then that be the case .

You will need a wide hard nose bar .

kantuckid

The Oregon catalog has pics/profiles with specs for their current blades- probably too narrow?
Kan=Kansas;tuck=Kentucky;kid=what I'm not

Kbeitz

What your lookin for.... Does it look something like this ?

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Al_Smith

Close maybe however that appears to be Mall "planer chain " and likely isn't 1/2" .

If I ever get off work while the sun is still shining I'll find the bar and chain for that Sears gear drive that resides in my shed and attempt to post a picture of it .

Kbeitz

Yes it is a very odd ball chain.

Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Thank You Sponsors!