iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber rack

Started by woodsteach, February 16, 2006, 08:21:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodsteach

I am looking for a lumber/cant rack/table for off bearing onto.  I was thinking of one that is kind of V shaped so the cants will sort of stack them selves.  I've seen somewhere pix of large industrial ones but nothing more 'homebuilt'.  I have a design started that  is based on a V at a 30/60/90 degrees.  Like a 30/60/90 degree drafing triangle.

\                /
       \           /
         \      /
           \/

Very poor drawing but hopefully you get the idea.

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Ron Wenrich

I don't see much of an advantage over just being flat.  If you save any time, you'll lose it trying to pick the bundle up.  It seems like that would be much harder.

In commercial operations, I've seen your diagram in unstackers where once course of boards fall off of the top onto a set of chains.  The lumber is then seperated by grade and stickered onto a self stacker.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodbowl

Paul, I've been thinking along the same lines for a "V" shaped rack located behind my bandmill and to the side of a roller table. I believe that the rack can be tilted when full and the stacked lumber can be picked up with a fork lift.
    Have you made this rack yet? Pics please.  ;)
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

WeeksvilleWoodWorx

Here is what Mary made for Bibby. ;) :D

Neat Lumber Rack
Brian - 2004 LT40HDG28 owner.

Ron Wenrich

Tilting it would depend on what you're using to tilt and how much you have in there.  Oak weighs about 5-6 lbs/bf.  200 bf weighs 1000-1200 lbs.  If you're tilting by hand, then you will greatly limit the size of your bundles.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

woodsteach

Thank you for the replies,

I ended up with a metal table based on bibby's saw horses for now.  I still have in my mind a slanted table type design but that will have to wait.

Paul
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Thank You Sponsors!