iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Jeff's cedar log

Started by Cedar Eater, March 23, 2002, 08:56:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedar Eater

Here's a picture of the 100" cedar log I'm saving for Jeff B. It measures 19"DIB at the big end and 15"DIB at the small. It's the buttlog from a tree that produced 3 - 100" logs, 2 - 75" bolts and 1 - 100" post. It's easily the biggest cedar I've harvested.

Here's the last load for this winter just before I left for the mill. Yes, the tongue weight was pushing the limit, but the trip was uneventful. The other two logs from the big cedar are on the trailer. That load was .87 cords of 100" log, .19 cords of 75" bolt (behind the axle) and .59 cords of 100" posts (in the truck).

The last picture is the lumber I got from some hardwood (oak, red maple, aspen) and balsam fir blowdowns. It's about .73MBF. I'm drying it in my basement with a fan to ensure air circulation. I have a humidistat for the house that spiked up to around 70 rh for a couple of days then dropped back below 60. We turned the humidifier off so the cost of running the fan is a wash. It should be dry by late spring. A couple of grubs crawled out of the balsam fir, but I was pretty careful not to bring in any carpenter ants.

Cedar Eater

Bud Man

Cedar Eater  That's an exciting looking Cedar :o, Hope you got at least a Hat or a meal out of that character, he sounds like a pretty good Horse Trader.  Don't let him slicker you too bad and careful ......I hear he's a .....peculiar.... sort of ....well just watch out.. ;)..
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

Jeff

Cedar, has the fence company ever given a price per MBF or has it always been by the cord?  I figure that fine lookin log has 79 board ft in it. Do you reckin we can load it in the back of my Ford Ranger? I think with a chuck block it should ride O.K.

That is a fine lookin whack a cedar.

By the way Bud Man, the new hats are being made up this week and yer bein mean >:( ;) :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Corley5

That is a nice hunk of cedar.  I like sawing cedar like that 8).  Sawed some last spring for guy that should have went for fence posts.  I whittled on a few of them and he saw that at 60.00 an hour he wasn't getting much for his money.  So he decided he wanted all the small ones sawn into 4X4s which wasn't bad at all.  He did have a handful logs that weren't too bad.  The nicest one had two 16 penny spikes in it >:(.  He took it home for kindling.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

Jeff, what have you got in mind for the log?
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Jeff

I plan on making some slab cedar tables end and coffee tables. the outside slabs will be rustic benches or wall shelves.  Our living room has cedar furniture and Tammy wants a few more pieces. I will take some pictures to post so you can see...

Jeff

Here are some pics of our living room and its rustic cedar furniture.  

Cedar, the table base is the kind of stumps I am looking for.

Slab Shelf...

Here is a view of the southwest corner of the room.

Northwest...

Northeast...

This is on top of the tv cabinet, has anyone ever seen one? I picked it up in a shop. It has a 1959 date on it, and is about 14 inches across. Arounf the edge of the box it has other images of paul, babe, pecos bill, and others. Thought it was pretty cool at the time, but have had a hard time justifying $35 for an old cardboard cheese box. ::)

Bud Man

Paul Bunyan  box reminds me of "Wonderful World Of Disney"  series on TV ?
The groves were God's first temples.. " A Forest Hymn"  by.. William Cullen Bryant

L. Wakefield

There was a movie came out about 10 years ago- had Paul and Pecos Bill and some others as heroes to this little boy- at the climax Pecos sure-nuff lassoes the whirlwing..DanGed if I can remember the name of it- help me out, someone- if you're 50-ish and have 20-ish kids you probably rented it for them and you to watch when they were about 9 or 10-ish. (I hate it when the memory starts to go...)  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Bud Man

Twas  " World of Disney"  LW,  and sad to say, but I think it was 20 years ago. Time flies whether you're having fun or not  :o !!    Jeff,  one of these days something is going to get most of your attention and I predict you,re going to be good at it, very nice wood working's  ;)

L. Wakefield

I don't believe that was it but I DanG well can't think of the name. I'll have to go to the video store to prove it. I'll get back to ya!  lw
L. Wakefield, owner and operator of the beastly truck Heretik, that refuses to stay between the lines when parking

Jeff

It is DanG nice wood workings but my attention at my other webclients needs is how it got made. I paid the Amish furniture builder for it.  Some os it is so basic though, that I will make my own now. Like the tables and shelves.

We love the stuff. Nice having wood around that don't get in yer pockets and down your neck.

Bud Man

The series was on Sunday night and the narrator was the fellow that did the Ralston Purina ad's , I can't think of his name, musta caught whatever you have, maybe old age sliping up on both us :D

Cedar Eater

Jeff, the fence company won't offer a BF price and I believe that if they got this log, they would just saw it up for fence boards. They don't seem to be set up for anything but fence boards and posts. They probably don't bother to segregate big logs because they don't see many that big and may not have buyers. It would be interesting to call them and find out, but I don't get enough big logs to pursue it.

I think your Ranger will handle it just fine so long as we set it in gently with my tractor. It's weight is almost certainly under 300 lbs. I can lift either end on days when I eat my spinach and it rolls fairly easily with my axe-a-roon. We might both be able to manhandle it into your truck, but the front end loader seems safer. One thing about the 100" length, you probably won't get the tailgate closed. We can shorten it if you need to.

Regarding the stumps. I trip over those routinely. :D :D At the very least, I'll find culls that are suitable. That's a nice comfy looking room there. If you'll spend $35 for a box, you'll probably give me what, about $2/BF for that log. :D :D :D

Since I've been forewarned, I would appreciate it if everyone helps me keep Jeff honest. ;D Check his number on the BF. Was that Doyle or International? What's the going rate on cedar sawtimber. I'll guarantee a discount if I get a hat. :D :D :D
Cedar Eater

Jeff

Your well on your way to getting yer hat, only about 148 posts to go!

Hey, haven't you looked at the Boardfoot calcs?  click on the toolbox to the left.

How much more honest do you want, I used international scale. I shoulda used doyle ;).

My daughter just walked by, and looked over my shoulder and said, Cool! whose house is that? DUH!  we just got some of the furniture and we aint used to it. She said that it looks to nice to be ours. WOOD IS GOOD.

Bud Man

Watch him close Cedar Eater he's a sly one he is, next thing you know he'll having you delivering it for nuthing.  :D    Jeff, you need to let the Daughter out of her room every once in a while. :o

Jeff

Nah, charge away cedar, I'll be able to handle it soon. I'm goona start chargin Bud Man admission ;) :D

Hey Bud, yer meettin up with everybody else, why don't you go up and meet cedar, pick up my log, then you can deliver it to me for nothin.

Jeff

Better yet pick me up first, I'll go wif ya, I don't know if I can trust ya wif my log.

Bud Man

Let's set a date and while we're at it we'll go by the Amish folks that make them Basic Wood Working's and get me a few fixins pleasing to the eye for my little shack. Maybe trade ya out of that little basic Cedar Coffee Table that the Daughter never noticed before, sounds fair to be. Wanna dicker and trade with a slow Dimwitted Southerner

Jeff

Bud Man you should see some of the tables they make. Tom taught me how to look at wood in a different way, and these amish craftsmen look at it that way too. Tom, are you amish?

They also use hickory with bark on to form tables, and stools, and tables, using only the finished Hickory for the tops. BEEEEUUUUUUTiful stuff.

Tom

Yeah, I aim as good as I can. I been told I miss sometimes.  So, sometimes I'm aimish and sometimes I'm missive. :D

Bud Man

OK  Tom  Aim at telling me how the Amish, Jeff,  and Tom look at furn a ture and enlighten this Dim-Witted Southerner  "PLEASE"  I ain't learned anything all day and: I'm Hungry"

Tom

Ok, Budman,

Tom says there isn't any bad wood. What won't sell you have to market.  If a customer can't make anything out of it, it's because he hasn't discovered how.  Slabs make rustic furniture, limbs and trims make legs and armrests.  Trim boards with wane make trim boards in a house or frames for pictures and mirrors.  Swell butts cut to 4 inch thickness make supports for a mantles.  Why square but 3 sides of a mantle, the natural edge wane is pretty?

Cedar slabs with little limbs sticking out can be nailed to the wall on a porch and used for a hat or coat rack.

Little stobs and limbs and irregular pieces make drawer pulls.

Waney pieces can be used inside if you don't want them seen.

Dotey cedar can be used for the floor of the chest.

Fill the Dote with toys and fill the holes with resin.  Makes a good table top.

Cedar sawdust in sock or bean bag makes a sachet that sells for one to five dollars.

The challenge isn't selling the wood, it's marketing the idea.

Some of the prettiest furniture I've ever seen came from a rustic builder.  I'm of a mind that some of this absolutely perfect, no knot, no fault, mirror finish, furniture should be made out of plastic.  Wood is a living thing why should we expect it to be fault free?

Before you throw your next slab away, cogitate on how you could make something out of it.

Bud Man

My wife say's if I think any more and put one more thing in the garage, she's gonna set fire to the whole thing.  :'(   Think I'll build a shed in the lower 40 , she don't ever go down there, mouse ran up her leg the last time she did. :o  That furn a turn thinking sounds like it musta ben thought up by a fellow a little short of operating capital, sounds like my kinda thinking.  Before I throw anything away I ask myself what would it cost to replace this and can I : "Make Someone Happy While I Make A Buck" or should I close my eyes and pitch It ?   Thank's for the explanation !!  Pretty near applies to everything !!

Bud Man

Well Jeff B, ain't heard no more bout that Cedar Eater- Cedar log ? Did you ever get it and have you whittled it up yet or dropped it be the Amish work shop, eh !!

Thank You Sponsors!