iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

E.A.B. How far north

Started by moodnacreek, January 13, 2019, 08:12:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

moodnacreek

How far north can eab go? I hope not as far as the ash grows. I was in an ash stand the other day; all dead, very sad and not safe to enter.

Southside

Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

moodnacreek

Your right, what a shame, all that strong handle wood, lumber and veneer .

Old Greenhorn

Quote from: moodnacreek on January 13, 2019, 08:12:17 PM
How far north can eab go? I hope not as far as the ash grows. I was in an ash stand the other day; all dead, very sad and not safe to enter.
In your area, it is total. Somebody needs to get in and cut that stand before it gets too far gone. Taking a lot of nice standing dead around here making good saw logs or nice firewood at least. Everything up here is either dead or dying. I am probably 40 miles north of you. The whole state is pretty much done.
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

barbender

We have it in a couple isolated areas in northern mn. The only thing that will slowit down is sustained frigid temperatures, as in lower than -35°F. I can't remember the numbers, but the longer the temp stays down in that area, the more of the bugs it kills, approaching 100%. We've had cold spells like that the last 2 winters, not this winter yet, though.
Too many irons in the fire

GullyBog

My wife's grandparents took great care of their place in Pompei NY near Syracuse.  Sadly her Papu passed a couple years back but we still visit the woods he managed and I've noticed a lot of variation in the Ash.  Some are dead but others seem unfazed, for now at least.  One of the last things he did was hire a youth group managed by a priest who salvaged the dying trees for firewood.  I've got my fingers crossed that there is a population of survivors.  They sure make a lot of seeds and could regenerate themselves a lot easier than oak or chestnut.
There might be a little dust on the butt log, but don't let if fool ya bout what's inside

Southside

I hope you are right, but my observations have been that they take them all, even in a small area it takes a couple years for them all to die, but they do.  I have seen a couple try to re-sprout from the trunk but no good results yet.  I think this is our version of the Elm or the Chestnut.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

BuckeyeAaron

In Ohio it is confirmed in every county.  The only species that I see survive is blue ash.  They can be completely healthy with green and white Ash falling apart all around them.  I suspect that they too will eventually succumb to EAB though.  They say there is a three year death curve where the trees can withstand infestation initially but by year three there is massive collapse within the stand.  Dan Herms from Ohio State University has published many papers on the subject and considered one of the leading experts if you find yourself wanting to research some articles. 
If I take the wings of the morning, and dwell in the uttermost parts of the sea; Even there shall thy hand lead me, and thy right hand shall hold me. 

Psalms 139, 9-10.

roger 4400

I live 30 miles north of Montreal, Quebec and almost every ash in the city were cut down. Every city have a program to watch the trees and most of them are cut. I have a 60 acres wooden lot north of Montreal and up to now no signs of EAB.
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

wisconsitom

When EAB hit in my son's floodplain forest in SE WI, he did attempt to "save" some nicer, still apparently healthy trees via injections of imidaclopyralid.  It only seemed to help temporarily, as in even before the expected 2-3 yr. protection period was over.  All other ash-these are green ash in this wet site-are dying or dead.  I would not expect much if any significant survival of any N. American ash species in affected areas.  it can look like it for a while, but I'd expect you're going to see all kinds of bark falling off, woodpecker holes, the whole bit.

tom
Ask me about hybrid larch!

rjwoelk

I have heard reports on the border of Manatoba and Saskatchewan . Regina had replaced their elms with ash now they will need to find something else..
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Old Greenhorn

I found this 5 year old article regarding the mortality rate in the EAB under extreme cold. Perhaps it will give some folks hope, given the forecast for the coming 2 weeks. https://blogs.mprnews.org/updraft/2014/01/extreme-cold-may-wipe-out-high-percentage-emerald-ash-borer-larvae/?fbclid=IwAR2PxVjJTpUmiitc17xKQXMz5JJ4eji4J2cRjAS0SBEXp6IrYNw6utGjPEU 
Tom Lindtveit, Woodsman Forest Products
Oscar 328 Band Mill, Husky 350, 450, 562, & 372 (Clone), Mule 3010, and too many hand tools. :) Retired and trying to make a living to stay that way. NYLT Certified.
OK, maybe I'm the woodcutter now.
I work with wood, There is a rumor I might be a woodworker.

Carson-saws

Let the Forest be salvation long before it needs to be

wisconsitom

I think it reasonable to expect the EAB to ultimately colonize the entire range of Fraxinus in N. America.  Usually how it goes...though not absolutely.

This particular winter....in this particular area....may kill a few adults and overwintering instars.  It is very cold indeed.  Now.  But just before this....and most likely right after this cold snap.... we will be right back at above-average temps.  We may have had a few frozen out in the meantime.

I have yet to see any exotic invasive insect pest or pathogen not be able to get around to pretty much all the trees it is able to impact.

tom
Ask me about hybrid larch!

Thank You Sponsors!