iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

What I've been working on

Started by woodbeard, March 28, 2008, 09:17:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

woodbeard

After checking out Getoverit's work, I thought I'd show off some of my own.
As I mentioned in another post, my shoulder problems have been keeping me from sawmilling and other heavy work. My partner has taken a full time job, and I have been home with the kids, so I have had more time to work on my own stuff in my shop, finally getting to use some of the wood I have been stashing away.

Here's a couple electric guitars with a rustic theme.
The first is one I did several years ago, and recently made a new neck for.
The top is weathered barnwood (oak), laminated onto a back of beech which came from a 2x6 in the same barn. The neck is walnut and the fingerboard is black locust, both of which I salvaged from a neighbors farm where he was clearing pasture.

It sounds fantastic, but weighs a ton  :D
The next one I made a bit lighter.
The top is made of weathered cypress boards from a fence I replaced for a friend.
The rest of the body is sassafrass, hollowed out with a router under the crescent moon cutout. The neck is sweetgum, with a mesquite fingerboard.
I call this one the "Privycaster" since the body shape is a copy of a Fender Telecaster, and it is inspired by an outhouse.  ;D

Robert Long

Wow, Nice looking guitars

You did a nice job of making rustic fit into the glits of rock and roll!

Well done 8)

Robert

WDH

Wow!

That Privycaster is a work of art.  I love the moon "F-hole" and the hinge on the tailpiece. 

I would love to hear you play it one day.  I would accompany you on the bass!
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

getoverit

cool guitars!!  I like rustic stuff, and these are right down my alley. The outhouse guitar is exceptional!!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

woodbeard

Thanks! :)
Danny, I mostly play bass myself, but can get along ok on guitar.
Would love to jam with you and Ken someday.

Here's an 8 string bass I finished recently.
The body is butternut, and the neck is cherry, with a persimmon fretboard.

As you can see, I have been trying to use primarily locally harvested material.
But I also like to incorporate exotic stuff. Here's a closeup of the ebony inlay on the persimmon fingerboard, kind of a family reunion. :D

Patty

Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Ron Scott

~Ron

WDH

I love that persimmon fretboard and the cherry neck.  I bet it sounds great, too.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Woodbeard, those guitars look fantastic to me.  You really are clever. :)

QuoteBut I also like to incorporate exotic stuff. Here's a closeup of the ebony inlay on the persimmon fingerboard, kind of a family reunion.

Yup, for sure.  :)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dave Shepard

Those are really nice, and very creative. :)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DWM II

Yep those are right fine also. I like the privycaster the best, the hinge for a bridge takes the cake. :)
Stewardship Counts!

Norm

LeeB

Those look great. I wish I could play somw kind of instrument. The only thing I can play is the radio and it has to be on a station :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

woodbeard

Thanks all  :)

I've got a few more in the works, as well. Hoping to make a go at this as a profession, or at least make it pay for itself.  :D

At any rate, I'm having enough of a good time doing it that I don't miss sawmilling so much.

Paschale

I missed this stuff until now...beautiful work!   8)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

metalspinner

I like the weathered one the best.  Great job.  It's amazing how one can "see" such beauty in what most would just toss away (the wood).
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

woodbeard

Thanks!  :)
Here's another one I just finished up:

SwampDonkey

Well, now a least James Taylor can sing 'Carolina in My Mind' and mean it? :D

In my mind Im goin to carolina
Cant you see the sunshine
Cant you just feel the moonshine
Maybe just like a friend of mine
It hit me from behind
Yes Im goin to carolina in my mind
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dave Shepard

That's really neat!! 8) 8) 8)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

WDH

Woodbeard,

That is a piece of folk art!  Your canvas is wood and strings ;D.  You are an artist of the cambial persuasion :).

getoverit

I showed my wife this guitar and she loved the NC car tag as a pick guard. If she could, I think she would buy this one from you if you were selling it :)

Cool guitar!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

woodbeard

That one possibly has a buyer, but nothing certain. If I don't hear from him in a few weeks, it's up for grabs. It's actually a South Carolina tag, don't know if that makes a difference. The license plates and bottlecaps are fun, they add another level of customising.

Thank You Sponsors!