iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Firewood

Started by Bruno of NH, December 30, 2017, 05:53:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bruno of NH

I'm in the firewood business now
I'm getting 10 to 15 tri-axle loads of logs from a right of way cut.
I wanted the saw logs and I'm also getting the firewood logs ash , beech and yellow birch
I now need a splitter looking for one that won't break the bank .
Any suggestions ?
What was the kinetic one called that some of you liked ?
Was it made in Mass ?
Thanks Bruno
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

DelawhereJoe

What to you is breaking the bank and what cord per hour splitting capacity are you looking for ?
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

Bruno of NH

I don't need top production numbers but some thing that's well built made in the USA or Canada
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

newoodguy78

Not sure if it's the one you're looking for but I've heard good things about the super split.

DelawhereJoe

If I had the cash and was looking at a splitter I would go for a Wood Mizer. They look like they will do the job and do it well for years to come. I'm sure if you purchase it in the US its made in the US, you can't ask for anything better.

Pclem

Lots of guys have the super split. [Myself included]. Good splitters. I think around 3-$3500 still?. Those woodmizers look good, but I think you've gotta have larger chunks to make good useable firewood. Those box style splitters make alot of splinters and scrap. Nice thing about a single wedge splitter is quality control of every piece. We've got a powersplit vertical machine too. More expensive, but the best splitter we've owned.
Dyna SC16. powersplit. supersplitter. firewood kilns.bobcat T190. ford 4000 with forwarding trailer. a bunch of saws, and a question on my sanity for walking away from a steady paycheck

Bruno of NH

Super split that's the one I was thinking
The woodmizer is great but more than I want to invest at this point
This is a part time thing with milling and building

thecfarm

I saw one of those at a show run by electric. Seem odd to see that split with no engine noise. I liked it. Did I say quiet.  ;D
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

DelawhereJoe

So is da site been hit by some hackers or does everyone just like da sound of "smoked suckers" ?

DelawhereJoe

Looks like people playing funny with the site, t h e = da.....

47sawdust

I had a Supersplit for about 5 years,never a problem.Only reason I sold it was to get one with a log lifter.I'm now using the Timberdevil I purchased in August.This will be my last splitter.It is made in Quebec.It is fast,fun to use,foot actuated hyd.ram,and pricey.$5845 U.S dollars picked up at the factory.

Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

North River Energy

I take it the wood is 'free'?

Assuming you'll have the logs on site in one batch, consider hiring out the brute force breakdown to a mobile processor.
Your primary investment at that time actually provides a salable product.

While your inventory is drying, find yourself a suitable elevator/conveyor on Craigslist etc, something long enough to fill your dump trailer. Shop around at that point for a fast splitter to do the necessary resplits. Or have one built to your actual needs. 
No idea what your market is like, but the ability to provide a particular block size en masse can really pay off.
I like to scoop blocks from the 'oversized' pile with a tine bucket, then park the loader next to the re-splitter with the bucket at working height. Big reduction in effort, as you're doing a simple pivot to feed the splitter, rather than a lift and pivot.

Material handling is important, so make sure your machinery investments contribute to product flow, rather than creating accidental bottlenecks.

porcupine

I have had a 33 ton hydraulic = slow but works. Then bought a Speeco Speed Pro (an imitation Super Split) It was fast but built poorly. I gave it to my daughter and purchased a Super Split with the Honda engine and the larger work table. Works great, solid unit.

I was in a pinch this fall and rented a DYNA diesel processor. My wife operated it while I feed the rack with the logs. Nice machine....but your still working just not as hard.

If I was to go into a firewood business I would go with the processor. Less manual action and more production.
Kubota M5040  2007
Kubota U35 Mini-Ex  2016
Brute Force 18-24 Firewood Processor 2022
Brute Force Grapple
Super Split HD
Logrite Cant Hook, Pickaroon
Stihl MS250, MS461, MSE 220
Lamar 16' Dump Trailer
Load Trail 20' Tilt Trailer

Peter Drouin

I have a Timber wolf, Works well.

But 47sawdust, You have something there, Gave me a bunch  of Ideas, If a man had a conveyor to the right of the splitter you could load a truck too.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

47sawdust

http://www.timberdevil.com/en/

The original mfg. Still in business.Powersplit pirated the design and jacked up the price.Pay more if you like but I would contact Pierre Marion @ Timberdevil.

Peter for my needs a conveyor isn't needed,if I get jammed up I just pull the splitter ahead.It stays hitched to the 4 wheeler and the split wood gets stacked on 1/3 cord pallets.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

Bruno of NH

Selling more wood today all ash $300 a cord
47 I like your splitter

Magicman

I have less firewood today than I had yesterday but more than I will have tomorrow.   fire_smiley
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Bruno of NH

I can't cut and split the ash fast enough :)
I'm not running the mill when it's this cold so the firewood happened at a good time

Kwill

Quote from: Magicman on January 02, 2018, 03:44:09 PM
I have less firewood today than I had yesterday but more than I will have tomorrow.   fire_smiley
me to
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Kwill

Quote from: Bruno of NH on January 02, 2018, 09:23:55 AM
Selling more wood today all ash $300 a cord
47 I like your splitter
if I could get 300 a cord for fire wood that's all I would do is cut it.
Built my own hydraulic splitter
Built my own outdoor wood stove
Built my own log arch
built my own bandsaw sawmill
Built my own atv log arch.
Built my own FEL grapple

Bruno of NH

been selling a lot of ash in 1/3 of a cord loads for $100 delivered in the private community next to my place.
there is many second homes for skiing it's been working out well

overclocking

Bruno, do you have access to a 3pt tractor?

The timberwolf tw3 or tw6 are unstoppable and will literally lift and split anything you put on them. 4 way wedge makes for a single pass and the table on the end allows for you to run a conveyor later if needed. We back the trailer right up to it and it pushes the wood right into the dump.

Bruno of NH

Yes I have a mahindra 3540

Peter Drouin

I bet that firewood is out of the snow now after all the rain.
Have 6" of snow left, maybe.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

Thank You Sponsors!