iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Coon, possum, horse?

Started by bigred1951, August 23, 2017, 12:22:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigred1951

Was wondering what meats have people tried. I've heard many say that coon and possum meat was greasy but good if cooked right. Another old guy I know said he ate horse once and it was good. I've never tried them but wouldn't be against it. About the only meat I can think of I don't care much for is hamburger. I love steak but just hamburger itself don't care. Or beef jerky but love deer jerky. Beaver and ground hog looks good from pictures and tv I've seen.

thecfarm

I had beaver only once, Wife cooked it like a pot roast. If someone would of blind folded me I would of thought it was the regular pot roast she always cook. The meat is a dark brown,only difference that I could tell. I would eat it again. digin_2
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Banjo picker

Coon is very good.  I have tried possum once.  I didnt like it....it was greasy like you spoke of.  We cooked it for my grandpaw, and it could be that my mom didnt know how to fix it right....slicks over in your mouth.  I would have to be pretty hungry to try it again.  A trapper at work says bobcat is good.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

reelman65

I have had rattlesnake (eastern diamondback), stingray, elk, pronghorn. snake was fine, real white. stingray was fine too, sort of like scallops. elk was ok but not as good as people said, pronghorn was ok, but not as bad as people said.

I always heard that cougar/puma/mountain lion  was really good, but i never tried it.

gator is not too bad.
75 Acres of hardwoods that i want to try to optimize for HW growth, health and habitat. Also interested in creating a few small stands of fruit/nut trees and sample of different native species

Woodcutter_Mo

Raccoons and snapping turtles are good when cooked right, I've eaten possum one time that I can remember and I didn't care for it. Never have eaten horse (that I know of), if someone cooked one up I'd probably try it but I don't think I would ever consider acquiring it and cooking it myself.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

sandhills

My late uncle was a WW2 vet and they ate a lot of horse meat, he always said once you get past the thought of eating old Trigger it was really good.  Never had it myself, as far as wildlife goes squirrel, deer, rabbit and about all game birds is as far as it goes. 

Dave Shepard

I'm not too adventurous when it comes to eating strange foods.  :-\

My grandfather did Morbark pulpwood debarkers up into Canada and he said some places the hamburger was very sweet.  He was told it was horse.

My sister picked up a couple of cans of snapping turtle soup this week. I think she's going to feed it to our father and see what he thinks if it.  :D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Texas Ranger

Had horse in Europe, less fat than cow and not bad.  Had a taste of cat, no thank you.  Growing up we killed and ate most anything, mostly rabbit and Squirrel, and fish, and quail, and lots of chicken.  Tried other stuff but there must a secret to cooking some of them.  Coon and possum are two that never was good.
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

sawguy21

I didn't grow up on wild game, my parents had too much of it during the Great Depression, but am pretty adventurous when trying new foods. Even ate raw oysters which were not too bad, I love them breaded and deep fried or smoked. Bear is the only one I won't go back for seconds, too greasy and gamey for my taste. Moose is quite good if properly tenderized and cooked, otherwise it's like chewing an old boot.
We have coon and possum but I don't know anybody that eats them. Most people would shy away from horse meat, they view them as pets, although apparently it is popular among the Dutch.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Woodcutter_Mo

Groundhog is another critter I've eaten a few times, when cooked just right they are not too bad.
-WoodMizer LT25
-592XP full wrap, 372XP, 550XP, 455 Rancher, RedMax GZ3500T
-Fixer-uppers/projects:
024AV, MS260, MS361, MS460, Shindaiwa 488, 394XPG

Logger RK

A neighbor brought me over some snapping turtle burgers the other day. It was pretty good.

DelawhereJoe

I remember a few years ago Ikea had to pull all of there Swedish meat balls off the shelf due to horse meat in the food, I just see a horse as a fast cow and would have no problems eating it. I would rather eat horse then some stinky little creature crawling around in the woods eating bugs.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

rjwoelk

Did some guiding in the mountains in BC.We had goat sheep moose deer, and cougar.  The cougar if they had served it with cranberries i would have thought it was wild turkey. Lynx was used as a substute for turkey at christmas in the  northwest territories, in the early 1900s. or so I read in school.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

coxy

I want to try turtle but all the old timers that cooked it around here are gone    would never eat horse I hate them living couldn't imagine eating one  I have had beaver the back straps and hind quarters had a friend that tried telling me the snake he was cooking was eel i told him iv ate a lot of eel and the meat was never that white    i like clams and oysters better raw than cooked   rabbit, squirrel, grouse, pheasant ,deer and turkeys was a norm when growing up    i have eaten bear as long as its not a garbage bear its not bad   my dad said when he was about 9-10 the old guy that rented a room from my gma  was cooking a skunk but he never tried it  they say muskrat is good i ate a cricket one time covered with something  steve_smiley never again 

WV Sawmiller

BR51,

Deer is staple diet here. Grew up eating squirrel, rabbit and quail killed or trapped. Ate lots of goat at old neighbor/mentor as a kid and when working in the mid-East. Camel was commonly served in Saudi - okay as a swarma sandwich. The milk is real good but very rich. Tried bear - okay but I won't shoot one for the meat as not that great IMHO. I have eaten coon many times. Used to boil it tender then make hash out of and served a bunch at a church dinner we made into BBQ. One lady liked it till she found what it was after several helpings then got sick when found what it was. Tried making a roast out of an old boar coon cooked in a brown'N bag and so bad the dogs would not eat the taters off it. Used to eat a lot of alligator snapping turtle in Albany Ga regularly. Wife even made turtle egg brownies out of eggs found in big snapper there. It was pretty good. Soft-shelled turtle fried was much better. Have eaten beaver and armadillo at wildlife suppers. Armadillo tasted like good roast pork the way it was fixed. Rattlesnake was okay but a little dry. Ate porcupine and Nile Monitor Lizard (called Varans) in Africa was okay. Ate alligator in Fla and Black Caiman in Peru and Ecuador that was pretty good. Saw lots of horse meat in markets in Mongolia - real dark meat. Never knowingly ate it. They also ate wolf for medicinal and other reasons over there.

Used to catch lots of possums with my little squirrel/coon dog. Pulled lots out of old animal carcasses and such. Times never got hard enough for me to try to eat any.
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

sandhills

Thank you BigRed for starting this thread, it's fun.  Coon and especially possum are 2 I'd pass on, other than that I'll try anything once (old saying)  :).

bigred1951

I'm fairly picky eater myself but usually willing to try something. Sadly I've never tried squirrel or rabbit or turtle growing up as nobody hunted. I've gigged and clean a lot of frogs but never got to try them. I know I'm not a big fan of lamb.  If I can talk the wife into eating the wild life I'd love to hunt and get some other then deer. Deer fixed anyway is good.

coxy

never had frog but my 10 year old daughter had them a likes them so every frog we see she wants to chop there legs off and eat them :)

WDH

When I was a young sprout, we would catch possums on the dirt roads just before dark.  There was a family that was down on their luck that my Dad let live in an old tenant house on the property.  We would give them the possums, and they would put them under a wash tub and feed them table scraps for a month or 6 weeks to clean them out, them cook them up.

I have never ate any possum and never will unless I get destitute or go crazy.  At least crazier than I am now  :).  I have ate coon.  A coon skinned and cooked whole with head on and teeth exposed looks nasty.  Looks like a skint dog.  Not very appetizing, but I guess that would not matter so much if one was poor and hungry.  Right now, I am not real poor or bad hungry, so no more coon for me until I go crazy. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Stoneyacrefarm

Have had most wild game around here.
Lots of deer , squirrels and rabbits.
Have had muskrat and beaver that we trapped.
Both were dark meat. We would make a garlic and herb marinade.
Had the texture of dark turkey meat I thought. Pretty tasty.
The bear around here are mostly corn fed so they taste good as well.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

coxy

that's funny how the meat from the same animal will change in color indifferent parts of the country our beaver meat is red red and stringy like corn beef  guess it all depends on what they eat 

Stoneyacrefarm

I thought that about the ducks around here.
They tasted quite a bit different depending on where they came from.
Work hard. Be rewarded.

JV

When I was a kid I hunted and fished every chance I got.  Squirrel and rabbit were very good.  We ate most fish we caught and occasionally went frog gigging.  My grandmother fried them up in a cast iron skillet.  Good eating.  We had turtle and quail on occasion both very good.  We raised ducks and geese and had their eggs for breakfast.  The yolks were a little tough but I didn't mind.  We tried possum once and couldn't eat it.  My dad said the only way to cook it was on a board.  Throw the possum out and eat the board.  I'm pretty sure I had horsemeat hash overseas, not to my taste.  I guess it pretty much depends on what you were exposed to growing up.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

sawguy21

One man's meat is another man's poison. ;D Our ancestors learned to eat what was available or starve so that food became the norm for succeeding generations. Coon and possum are common in some areas but never caught on as a human food source here, probably because larger game was so plentiful. After seeing coons raid the garbage can I don't want to eat them. Garbage habituated bear is inedible, man does it stink.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

ppine

I grew up in the East and ate some possum, but we gave away the groundhogs. Moved West in 1972, and have had lots of game feeds. We have served buffalo for Thanksgiving at least 10 times. I like it a lot and elk, antelope, caribou and moose.  Ducks, pheasant, chukkar, quail, doves are all good. My neighbor pulled out some mountain lion once which was pretty good. A guy cooked a roast in the ground once on a pack trip and claimed it was a ham off a burro.
Forester

Thank You Sponsors!