iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husky 455

Started by tcsmpsi, May 09, 2006, 11:36:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tcsmpsi

Anyone have any experience (good, bad or indifferent) with the Husky 455 Rancher?

I'm looking at one pretty close (as well as the Stihl MS 310).

I really haven't run anything but Poulans for the last 30+ yrs (I've run the country out of parts for my old 66 Poulan).

Used to run Husky bikes when I lived in CA., but don't know much about their saws.   ;D
\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

sawguy21

It has not been out long enough to tell if it will last but has good torque and a comfortable feel. It is a strato charged design and we will be seeing more of them as emission regs tighten up.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SawTroll

I am pretty sure that the 455 is an OK saw if you don't have to carry it alot, but the power to weight ratio is really bad, and the crank case is plastic.

Imo it is not a worthy replacement for the old 55. Huskys main objective with the 455 is probably to score EPA "points", making it possible to keep more of the "dirtier" (but much better) saws on the market, by selling lots of 455s to less knowledgable users....... smiley_devilish

The MS310 is also heavy for its power, with a plastic crankcase. Into the bargain it has bad anti-vibe and bad air filtration.

I suggest that you take a look at the 353 instead, or the 359 if you need more power. 8)
Information collector.

Dale Hatfield

Its ok now The patents on the Husky antivibe and turbo air injection have expired.
Looks like Stihl users can now enjoy  Less vibration and a clean air filter.
I know this is a 2 way street  as a few years ago husky got the side case adjustment screw, and their have been others over the course of the years.

The saw  doesn't matter as much as service after the sale. If your shop  doesn't have a good service track record then look else where.

Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

tcsmpsi

Thanks for the input!

I was looking at available torque and handling.  Was not aware of plastic crankcases.  Hmmm...maybe they are plastic crankcases like Glocks are plastic guns?

I did notice the power/weight differentials.  Though, after lugging around a Poulan 66, both the Husky and Stihl are literal featherweights.  

I have a couple of the Poulan 260s w/18" bars that work well, but take 'babying' through a lot of cutting.

Indeed, I am looking at the 353 and 359, also.  

Local Stihl dealer yesterday was 'too busy' to talk and 'needed' to give me a booklet to go and look over. (5-10 mins of 'quality time', and I'd bought one right then and there).
Being kinda funny about such things , Stihl is out of the picture.

Again, thank you very much for the input.

\\\"In the end, it is a moral question as to whether man applies what he has learned or not.\\\" - C. Jung

Ron Scott

I just got a new 455 Rancher about a month ago mainly because the price was right with one of my other saws in trade. I like it so far though I haven't given it much use yet, except for a pick up load of firewood after closing out a  timber sale.

I almost got the 359 husky, but it was quite a bit more in price and I wanted to try the new 455 anyway.
~Ron

SawTroll

Quote from: tcsmpsi on May 10, 2006, 12:32:13 PM....
Local Stihl dealer yesterday was 'too busy' to talk and 'needed' to give me a booklet to go and look over. (5-10 mins of 'quality time', and I'd bought one right then and there).
Being kinda funny about such things , Stihl is out of the picture. ....

:-X That's a pity, otherwise my next suggestion would have been that you ought to consider the MS361..... ;D
Information collector.

tcsmpsi

Actually, SawTroll, it really was a pity. 

Nonetheless, as one goes forward, one found himself ordering one of the Husky 455's.  Odd you should mention as you did, Ron, but when it all boiled down to it, I wanted to give the 455 a try. 

Supposed to be delivered to the shop Monday.

Bailey's has a pretty good deal on the 20". 

SawTroll

Good luck with your new saw, anyway!

I am sure it will do you good service as a firewood saw, with proper handling and maintenance. :)

Hopefully you are not planning to carry it too much in the woods..... ;)
Information collector.

tcsmpsi

::)  I don't believe carrying a 13 pounder is going to be a problem...

as this ol' 66 has been with me many, many years and I have carried it everywhere except up in the top of a tree.   ;)

(I believe it weighs about the same as three 455s)

sawguy21

That beast must be loud. :D  The gators will be happier with the 455. Did you see where the saltwater croc in Australia got mad and went after the saw, not the operator. He chewed it up pretty bad before the zoo attendants got it back.

tcsmpsi

Well, when she's tuned, warmed and singing, she probably runs about 100 decibels past loud.   ;)

It has straight exhaust (have to be wary of anything overhead which is not structurally sound, as she does resonate a bit). 

tcsmpsi

Well, the new Husky arrived at the shop yesterday.

Along with this little jewel,

a heavy-duty ratchet winch  (comealong) with 40' of cable, which gives me a lot more pull on a tree without having to re-tie/adjust if they are leaning far the wrong way.

I left the shop a little early (5pm).  I have yet several trees to fell and render (logs, firewood, brush) and wanted to go and give the new tools a try. 

I got 4 down (all of which were winched with the new tool), 5 of the biggest logs cut, a bit of firewood (from some of the limbs), and the stumps cut before dark overtook me.

Thusfar (and I can see no reason it would change), I like the little Husky.   One of the stumps was a good challenge for it, and it did well. 

Now, I've just got to figure out and 'fine tune' Husky's little chain sharpening jig. 

The new winch was stiff and the cable unruly, but it is much better with a bit of use.

beenthere

Sounds like you are having fun. That cable ratchet winch looks heavy duty.

QuoteNow, I've just got to figure out and 'fine tune' Husky's little chain sharpening jig

Is this 'jig' the small one with the two rollers?  If it is, I've been using it and like it quite well.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

tcsmpsi

Yessir.  It is the small one with the rollers.  I am glad to hear that it works well.

The winch is heavy...and heavy duty.  ;D  Been looking for a good heavy duty one for a long time.  Found it at Bailey's. 

One of the major drawbacks of where I'm cutting, is VINES (some 3 inchers).  So, though I might have had great fun yesterday,  getting into those tops is going to take a little of the fun out of it.    ;)

rebocardo

Yea, I have been giving serious thought to that winch. The come-alongs just do not cut it for tree work.

SawTroll

Here is a test report on the 455 Rancher.
Information collector.

tcsmpsi

rebocardo,

Having been able to use the winch a bit more now, I like it even better. 

sawtroll,

I couldn't get the 'test report' link to work...though I would sure like to.  ;)

tcsmpsi

I see that we are experiencing some technical difficulties on this end, so it may be that which is creating a problem in my access to the test report.

sawguy21

I can't open it either.

tcsmpsi

I was able to open the test report.

But, I just don't know all dem big words.

SawTroll

Here is a report on another saw model, in English.
If you look at them side by side, you should be able to understand most of the German words.
Information collector.

oldsaw

Quote from: tcsmpsi on May 10, 2006, 12:32:13 PM
Being kinda funny about such things , Stihl is out of the picture.

Local kid at the Husky dealer did the same kind of thing to me the other day.  Typical place with nothing really good on display.  Asked for price on a 357XP.  Started explaining that I probably didn't need that big of a saw, and recommended a 455 or 350 since they were a "better deal" and "in stock".  I kind of ran with the "big saw" thing for a while, just to play with him.  Told him I had a Husky, and a Stihl, then pointed to the 3120 in the catalog, and told him "that's mine", although he was pretty sure I must have meant a 137 or 142 and told me I must me mistaken.  Then I told him my Stihl was "that big" as I pointed to the 395.  Kid thought I was crazy, or probably lying.  I'll order a new air filter next week, that will fix him.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

tcsmpsi

Really, after looking around the place, getting a feel of it, I wasn't too inclined to be comfortable with 'after the sale' support/relationship.

Small community.  He used to handle Husky, too.  Though it has been there many years, I had never been in there before.  Seems they have all they can handle.  Used to be an old shop here that I could scrounge for parts (they had saws 'stacked' that no one in the shop had seen in 25-30 yrs. probably), and they were never too busy.

Long as I can find the parts somewhere, I can keep a saw going, until the wear and parts outlay is not as feasible as a new saw.

Since that day I was in the stihl shop, I have had others who have been less than pleased with them and have ceased their business with them.

And, of course, there are some who still think they are the cat's meow.  Which is fine.

Ordered my Husky online, got an excellent deal, with oil and an extra chain thrown in.  Oh, and a T shirt.   ;D

I like my 455.  Cranks right up, and after a couple sharpenings, cuts like I like, is lightweight and behaves well.  Now, if I start getting into some bigger stock, then I'll get me a bigger saw.  And, may yet one day to do some 'other' milling with.

I still use my pair of Poulan 260's more.  One for each hand.  (just fooling)

The old Dodge dealership that we had been doing business with for several years, got a new batch of folks in.  They sold a vehicle that we had ordered for about six weeks,  when it came in.  I reckon it was a "new customer" that they wanted to please.   Certainly, one blamed it on the other.

So, we ain't attached to no vehicle dealerships anymore.  Got a better deal on the new vehicle, too.   ;)

sawguy21

"Used to be an old shop here that I could scrounge for parts (they had saws 'stacked' that no one in the shop had seen in 25-30 yrs. probably), and they were never too busy."
Ya know, I have to laugh when guys like you come in the shop. "Well, Bob used to let me scrounge through the used stuff." Then Bob would say "Oh gimme a couple of bucks" or "I'll catch you next time. " Great way for the shop to make money and stay in business.  ::)

Thank You Sponsors!