iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Sterilization Options

Started by Bhutt123, January 12, 2018, 10:54:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bhutt123

Hello, I am a newbie looking for some direction. 

I am looking to have around 1500 bd ft of hardwood sterilized.  Long story short, I came across some milled hardwoods (oak, walnut, cherry, hickory and maple) that a guy is having to give up.  He is moving, and can't bring his wood stash along.  The boards have been air-drying in his shop for about 9 years, and he has used some boards here and there over the years. Without me asking, he offered to plane several boards of each species to give me an idea of what they looked like.  As we were doing this, we came across some signs of powderpost beetles in the hickory, but everything else looked nice to me.  He obviously said that he wouldn't sell me the hickory now, nor would I want it.  But, from what I have read on these pests, it seems like I should probably get all the other wood heat sterilized...just to be safe.  Does this sound about right?

I haven't pulled the trigger on buying it, but just trying to figure out if it is worth messing with.  I do not have a kiln, so I'd have to find somewhere willing to sterilize it for me.  I am in Alabama, so if anyone has any ideas of who might be willing to let me pay them to let the wood bake for a while, please steer me in their direction.  Thanks!

GeneWengert-WoodDoc

I agree with you...rather be safe than sorry.

Sometimes the state forestry people have a list of,companies with kilns.  There is a list of a few custom kilns in AL at
http://www.woodweb.com/cgi-bin/directories/sdd.cgi?services=Kiln%20Drying
Gene - Author of articles in Sawmill & Woodlot and books: Drying Hardwood Lumber; VA Tech Solar Kiln; Sawing Edging & Trimming Hardwood Lumber. And more

scsmith42

Send a message to WDH on this forum.  He has a kiln and may be able to do a sterilization run for you.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Hot Shot Rob

Not sure where you live in Alabama, but I believe River Bottom Pines in the Birmingham area could assist you with this. Another company to check with is Evolutia. Both are in the north part of Birmingham.

Thank You Sponsors!