iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Clamping device for shorter logs

Started by Busy Beaver Lumber, February 18, 2010, 07:55:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Busy Beaver Lumber

I occasionally have someone bring me a nice log that is 2 or 3 feet long that I would like to cut slabs out of for either a table top or for shorter boards that can be used for scoll saw work or smaller wood projects.

In talking to my sales rep at woodmizer, he tells me that he has heard about people that have made devices to hold shorter logs on the mill, but has never actually seen pictures or plans for any of them.

I have some pretty decent ideas in mind as to how to do it but would like to hear from anyone that has any other ideas or who has actually built one. My design is centered around extruded aluminum and will hold a log that is as short as one foot and as long as 4 feet. I have a good access to extruded aluminum since a good friend of mine is a sales manager at an extruded aluminum factory.

Any and all ideas welcome ;D
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

backwoods sawyer

The process for milling fire wood length is really quite simple. Start by laying a 2x 6-8 on the bed, then stand one up against the dogs. Set the block on and level it with wedges and clamp it with all the dogs up, if you want all live edges just pattern down thru about half way and flip it over. The sideboard can be changed out for a 2x3 and finish cutting. 
Backwoods Custom Milling Inc.
100% portable. . Oregons largest portable sawmill service, serving all of Oregon, from our Backwoods to yours..sawing since 1991

ladylake

Quote from: backwoods sawyer on February 18, 2010, 11:55:41 PM
The process for milling fire wood length is really quite simple. Start by laying a 2x 6-8 on the bed, then stand one up against the dogs. Set the block on and level it with wedges and clamp it with all the dogs up, if you want all live edges just pattern down thru about half way and flip it over. The sideboard can be changed out for a 2x3 and finish cutting. 
[/quote

I do it the same way, use a junky board on the side that you can cut through if you want to.  I also mounted 2     1-1/2" inside diametor square tubes about 30" apart, I put in 1-1/2 square pieces about 10" long, this works real good for cutting stickers and small logs that I have trouble clamping as you can cut right through them .   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

sdunston

Some one did a post on some sort of dog that went on the rails for short logs and I am sure there was a picture
Sam
WM LT28, American fordge 18x8 planer,Orange and white chainsaws, NH TC33, IHT6 dozer, IH-H tractor and alot of other stuff that keeps me agravated trying to keep running

Wallys World

I used this photo to build one simular to this for my mill. It uses pipe clamps to hold the log. Mine works well and holds up to 4 feet long.

Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Jasperfield

Busy Beaver Lumber

Thank you all for your replies. Wally's World hit the nail right on the head and provided me with the missing piece to my design, that is a reliable and simple way to secure the log. I love the use of the bar clamps to hold the log. I think I will make a few simple modifications. Instead of using the square blocks to hold the pipe clamps and have them only in a fixed position, I think I will use a piece of slotted extruded aluminum so that I can adjust the clamps left and right to accomidate different diameter and different shaped logs with just a simple turn of an allen wrench. I may also drill and tap the ends of the bar clamps themselves and thread a pointed spur into each to get a more secure bite on the log, especailly if the log is wet. May even go so far as mounting two sets of bar clamps on the assembly so I can clamp and cut 2 logs at the same time.

Thanks Much again Wally's World. This was a big help to me
Woodmizer LT-10 10hp
Epilog Mini 18 Laser Engraver with rotary axis
Digital Wood Carver CNC Machine
6 x 10 dump trailer
Grizzly 15in Spiral Cut Surface Planer
Grizzly 6in Spiral Cut Joiner
Twister Firewood Bundler
Jet 10-20 Drum Sander
Jet Bandsaw

Save a tree...eat a beaver!

Thank You Sponsors!