iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Old cast iron stove- wood bishop company Bangor Maine

Started by celliott, September 21, 2018, 04:27:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

celliott

Hey all, not my usual corner of the forum but just bought our first house! 

So we have a wood stove at the moment and I'm not sure what to make of it. I've searched online and found minimal results. It is a wood Bishop & company, Bangor Maine, and there is EVA cast into the top. The doors and sides have some nice designs on them. 

However this stove is not airtight, it's pretty darn loose actually. I want to replace it. 

So my question is two part- does anyone have information on this stove and a possible value if any? Or is it just old and probably scrap?

Also recommendations on a stove to replace it with. Not a big house, but I want wood to last all day. I'm in northern Vermont so it can get pretty cold, we have stretches of below zero weather sometimes down to -25,-30F.
Open to a new one if the price isn't too outrageous, but was more thinking used, kinda on a budget having just bought a house.

Thanks!
Chris 
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
Husqvarna and Jonsered pro saws
265rx clearing saw
Professional maple tubing installer and maple sugaring worker, part time logger

SwampDonkey

I've always been around wood stoves all my life. But Canadian stoves, so no help to you on that brand. I just put in a Napoleon wood furnace, forced air. Probably this week will be the first firing if the wiring gets completed, everything else is installed and new flu (new house). I hope you find a stove that fits your needs soon, winter is a coming.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bruno of NH

Woodstock soapstone
Vermont Castings
Any old Fisher in good shape
Lt 40 wide with 38hp gas and command controls , F350 4x4 dump and lot of contracting tools

47sawdust

Chris,Never heard of that stove.As far as a new one goes I am very happy with the Hearthstone soapstone stoves.Our house is very evenly heated by the Mansfield.That size might be too large for you though.I paid $1500.00 used several years ago.
 Good luck,Mick

By the way I really enjoyed the Northern Canoe trail blog.Thanks for taking us along.
Mick
1997 WM Lt30 1999 WM twin blade edger Kubota L3750 Tajfun winchGood Health Work is my hobby.

snowstorm

thecfarm

Got a picture?
This one came from Bryant's.

Worth a day trip just to go there and see what they have. They use to have many stoves on display. I have not stopped there for more than 10 years.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

celliott

No time for a day trip these days! I'm behind on firewood, crazy busy at work and moving into the new house! Bought a 1994 f350 to plow with, trying to get that squared away before winter, get my skidder all set for my winter woodlot among many other things but such is life. I'd drive to Maine tomorrow to buy a stove if I found one that will fit. But no time for leisure visits :D 
Having a tough time finding something with the correct dimensions. The height is the killer, the hearth is just 29" tall and we don't want to set it outside the hearth and eat up room space. 
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

celliott

Another question however- insight in chimney liners/stove pipe, metalbestos pipe. The current setup elbows out of the stove and the elbow terminates where the damper for the old fireplace is, and vents into the chimney. I don't like it. I want to run pipe all the way up. What's my best bet here? Probably have to chip away some masonry as the current 6" pipe doesn't fit through the old fireplace damper.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

samandothers

Another place to check to get additional answers is Hearth.com Forum.  I have done some reading there and folks seem pretty knowledgeable, but I have very little concerning stoves.

celliott

Well we are buying a hearthstone soapstone castleton model. Had to bite the bullet and do it, the used prospects were not good, and this is a very nice stove that will heat our home for years to come and (in my opinion) add value to the home if we sell it. Plus it fits inside the hearth! Just a tough pill to swallow after buying the house.

Now firewood!
I have a maple stand to thin and can get some beech birch and ash so I'll be set for next year, might have to break down and buy some this season.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

celliott

So I did end up going with a SS liner. I'm working on the old fireplace damper right now to get enough room to fit the liner up. What a mess and a hard place to run a grinder.

We got about 1.5cd of fairly seasoned ash stacked on the porch. My boss is a great guy- he had some surplus log length and it was heavy to ash, so he suggested a trade deal. I'm cutting/splitting what firewood I need from his log length pile, and I'll send him some green log length ash/beech/birch from a thinning on a maple stand I'm working on. 
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

GRANITEstateMP

Quote from: celliott on October 13, 2018, 09:31:08 AM
So I did end up going with a SS liner. I'm working on the old fireplace damper right now to get enough room to fit the liner up. What a mess and a hard place to run a grinder.

We got about 1.5cd of fairly seasoned ash stacked on the porch. My boss is a great guy- he had some surplus log length and it was heavy to ash, so he suggested a trade deal. I'm cutting/splitting what firewood I need from his log length pile, and I'll send him some green log length ash/beech/birch from a thinning on a maple stand I'm working on.
That's a good trade.  Everybody is happy in the end!
Did you get the wrap insulation to go on the SS liner?  We did my liner maybe 3 or 4 years ago now.  It was a bear to get it in, borrowed a friends 55ft bucket truck, that helped.  My brother-in law is a Chimney Sweep, he broke out the old flu, not fun, and I carted the waste away.  The liner was one piece, we wrapped it with the insulation, then fed it down a little at a time.  Took a good bit of the day to do the whole thing, but man it sure is nice!
Hakki Pilke 1x37
Kubota M6040
Load Trail 12ft Dump Trailer
2015 GMC 3500HD SRW
2016 Polaris 450HO
2016 Polaris 570
SureTrac 12ft Dump Trailer

celliott

It's not insulated. Probably should have...
I got the old damper knocked out and room for the new liner today. What a messy job jeeze... running the grinder and chisels with my head in the chimney, all the junk falling down, not a good time. But I have room for the liner now, that'll hopefully go in tomorrow if all goes well, and I'll pick the new stove up next week, get a few rugged buddies and be all set! Still got more wood to cut. Temps are dropping, there was snow in the higher elevations last night.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

hedgerow

Make sure your insurance company is good with the new liner and stove. Don't need a problem with them if something would happen down the road. 

rjwoelk

I did a ss liner in a masonry chimney, That was 32 years ago. We brush it twice a year, with the new stoves get maybe a large coffee cup of dust out of it, basement to 4 ft out of the roof peak, on a single story home.
Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Al_Smith

A few years back I also installed a single wall SS liner inside a clay liner flue . 7 inch pipe inside a 9 inch  liner . I found it was less expensive to buy it through a building supply company than a so called "stove shop " buy a bit more than 1/2 price .It's 22 gauge welded seam about a total of 14-15 feet  .
I stuffed the portion that rises above the roof,about 4 feet with fiberglass insulation .The only portion that shows any creosote is about the top 5-6 inches above the brick flue .It's hard pyrolited not the gooey stuff that can catch fire . A flue brush about once  year takes care of that 

celliott

Well the new hearthstone castleton is in!
I'm getting ready to light the first fire in it now. It's not that cold right now but I gotta do it :)

I do have pictures but I'm just on a slow data connection on my iPhone  until we get WiFi going so pics gotta wait.

Got another cord of wood in today, one more and we'll for sure be all set for the winter.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Wood Shed

Chris,  hope you did not scrap your old stove.  Guys like me would like to have it for some heat in a shed or garage .  I have to take a look when they come up on local auctions.  Most I find are not usable but some are and are interesting at least.

A society grows great when old men plant trees whose shade they know they shall never sit in." -Greek Proverb

celliott

I haven't scrapped it. I have it listed on Craigslist and FB marketplace. Lots of "is this still available?" And then no more responses. Same thing with an 8ft plow I have listed. I'd practically give the thing away, I just would caution whoever used it that it needs repair. Hate to see someone try to heat their house with it and have a fire...
A friends dad who is big into stoves is coming to take a look at it. He'd fix and restore it.
Chris Elliott

Clark 666C cable skidder
265rx clearing saw

Thank You Sponsors!