iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

372 XP wow

Started by Old_Hickory, August 18, 2008, 12:28:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

John Mc

Quote from: Bobcat_pa on October 15, 2008, 09:16:33 PM
I was planning on getting a NE346xp with a 20" bar and 95VP; less bending and reaching.   Seeing that the NE346xp was a little more weight, I thought the balance would be ok.    Think the NE346xp can do a good job with RSC 20" .325  ?

I know I'm probably in the minority here, but IMO getting a longer bar to avoid bending and reaching is a false benefit. Working out at the tip of longer bar is tough... you're at the wrong end of a long lever. It tires you more quickly, and puts more strain on your back and arm muscles (and for me, my neck muscles also). I've found it better to use a shorter bar, and bend down with your legs to get low, or take a step closer on those limbs that are up off the ground than to reach way down or way out. Do your cutting as close to the powerhead as possible for minimum strain. If you are limbing on the ground and want to keep your bar out of the dirt, using a longer bar can force you to work that much further out away from the powerhead...

My wife is a physical therapist... she's always after me to use good body mechanics when working. I guess she's getting tired of fixing me when I'm broken. There are good reasons to use a longer bar (cutting down larger diameter trees, for example). In my opinion (an opinion that was probably beaten into my thick skull by my wife), using it to reach further and cut that much further out from where I'm gripping the saw is not one of them.

To each his own, however. I already have enough back and neck problems as it is, and try to avoid pushing things. Someone who is less of a "weekend warrior", and younger or in better shape than I am may not care as much. I just don't bounce back as quickly as I used to. I hate to think what it will be lke when  get another decade or two on me.

John Mc
If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

Cut4fun

Well I finally got a brand new Husky 570  and just ran it in some test cuts in 20"-23" spruce, Granted I havent had it in hardwood yet.
. The saw IMO alot more torque then the stock 372 and doesn't rev out like a 372. It has a more usable power band IMO. The only draw back is the extra 1 LB it weighed over a 372.
So all the people that say the 575 at 74cc and the 570 at 68cc dont run, must have not ran them and compared elsewhere from their arm chairs only.

I dont care for the new EPA saws because I like saws that take well to mods. But for a stock saw and the $649 price it is a good strong saw to run stock, oh quite too.

After a little more testing I may just let this one go to find me another saw to make into a racesaw.

beenthere

I agree, "to each his own".

I have the 20" bar, for the reason I don't have to bend so much (5'9") and I do most (or a lot) of cutting at the bar tip. I don't get the bar tip in the dirt (or VERY seldom), and when cutting limb wood, I kick a toe under the limb, raise it up off the ground, and cut with the top of the bar at/near the tip.  Forces are then down, chips go down and away from me, and it is quick.
And for limbing, I like that fact that when caught up in the tops of a tree, I can reach out without having to try to crawl through that tangle/mess of small stuff to get in there.  :)

Also, the trees I cut are in the range that I need the 20" bar, don't have more than one length bar, and the MS361 handles/balances well with the 20" bar.
(and in another decade, I'll be 80 - yikes!, and won't know what all I might not be using then.. :D )

So there are good reasons for both, IMO.  ;D  I'm happy. :)

cut4fun
Will be interested in how the new Husky does in hardwood.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

John Mc

Beenthere - Sounds like we've each developed systems which work for us in the types of trees we're cutting. If I were cutting bigger diameters, or didn't already have back and neck troubles, I might have to adapt.

With what I'm cutting, I don't run into stuff that takes more than a 16" bar all that often. I'm mostly thinning or cutting malformed or other undesirable trees so the good stuff can grow. Once it's down and limbed, almost all of it gets cut into firewood. Cutting 12" diameter hardwood logs into 16" lengths can get old pretty quickly, and I'm not into doing it that out on the tip of the bar. (Don't tell my wife, but a fair amount of the limbing does happen out near the end of the bar).

I've been doing most fo my cutting for the last several years with a Jonsered 2152 (.325 pitch, 16" bar). It works fine, and is nice and light weight. It is a bit slow in the hardwoods at the larger end of my range. I recently picked up a Husky 357xp used, on the theory that the extra weight might be a good trade off for a faster cut. I'm still getting it set up and tweaking things. Currently I have a 16" bar on it. That may get traded up to an 18", if I start running into bigger stuff.

Happy cutting!

John Mc

If the only tool you have is a hammer, you tend to see every problem as a nail.   - Abraham Maslow

beenthere

Quote from: John Mc on October 21, 2008, 01:12:55 PM
........... Cutting 12" diameter hardwood logs into 16" lengths can get old pretty quickly, and I'm not into doing it that out on the tip of the bar. .........

I don't either.. ;D

'cept of late, when I have a 10 -14" diam log to buck into 18" lengths, I support it at the two ends. Then the top is in compression and the bottom in tension, open to the ground below. I will plunge cut about 2" from the top (keeps from pinching closed on the bar), and cut through the bottom for all the cuts along the length. When finished with all the cuts, I just nip off the remaining 2" at the top, and don't have to roll the log over.

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

They make bars shorter than 20"? ;D
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Ironwood

Well, after a years wait for my saw shop guy, he finally pieced together an extra 372 for me. I have bought all my saws used from him. He is THE local pro saw shop in our area (in fairness, I don't consider Frickman's dad "local"). He is really talented and good, carries Stihl, Huskie, and others (Echo, blah blah). I have two 394's, two 372's (now) and a 338xp (trying to get him to finish an extra 338/335). I can get rid of my 257, which is OK, but not an XP.  After hearing 372's might disappear, I figured I better get two. The 394's are for Alaskan milling, and a 72" bar for vert. cutting and 32" for timber cutting (one is always tied up one way or another). The two future 338's are for out in the woods cutting furniture stock, one always dulls and it's easier to just carry a spare. So, this many saws may sound like an extravagance, really the only "extra" saw is the second 372. Love those 372's ;D. For the record, a clean used 372 went for $275, sold the 257 for $175, so only an extra hun in the spare 372.

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

Cut4fun

Nothing wrong with extras Ironwood, so far I have 3 084's and trying to get a 4th. I lost track on the Partner 5000 at 10 or so and started giving the 500 ones away to friends to use. Couple of top handle poulans I like for my homeowner trim duties etc. Couple 365 - 372 - 375 myself. 

TexasTimbers

C4F,

You need to edit your signature I don't see a 570 listed in there. ;D

Don't judge it in hardwood until about 10 tanks eh?
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

SawTroll

Quote from: sawguy21 on October 10, 2008, 10:11:08 PM
Those flip caps can be a PITA. I have had them come off and dump oil and/or gas on my leg if they are not properly seated.

Sure, but why aren't they????    :-X
Information collector.

Cut4fun

Quote from: TexasTimbers on October 26, 2008, 10:23:41 AM
C4F,

It wont let me add anymore saws. So I just left it alone.  Added the Husky 365 special, Sachs Dolmar 166, Redmax G5000, Husky 570 and the list goes on.
I think I will sale the 570 without putting to many cuts on it (leave it new and not broken in to resale) I just got it to test and am really surprised with the torque it has compared to stock 372 or the 365 special. I am into saws that like modding and I think the 570 is best left stock and quite.

SawTroll

Quote from: Cut4fun on October 27, 2008, 04:55:38 PM
Quote from: TexasTimbers on October 26, 2008, 10:23:41 AM
C4F,

It wont let me add anymore saws. So I just left it alone.  Added the Husky 365 special, Sachs Dolmar 166, Redmax G5000, Husky 570 and the list goes on.
I think I will sale the 570 without putting to many cuts on it (leave it new and not broken in to resale) I just got it to test and am really surprised with the torque it has compared to stock 372 or the 365 special. I am into saws that like modding and I think the 570 is best left stock and quite.

Quiet - but I think you got it right in your head....... :)
Information collector.

VTWOODKID

i love my 362 xp but did husky stop making them?

TexasTimbers

C4F, you can transfer your list of saws to your signature line, and put your current sig line in your avatar box. I think your sig is short enough to fit, and I know the sig line will give you a much larger canvas to list your saws. In fact, you might have enough room left for future purchases. ;D
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

Old_Hickory

is liking my 372 xp better each  time I use  it,Am glad traded the 441 for  it  now :)
gotta love those XP saws

Old_Hickory

Quote from: Old_Hickory on November 09, 2008, 09:28:48 PM
is liking my 372 xp better each  time I use  it,Am glad traded the 441 for  it  now :)
Just got done helping a friend cut up 2 trees.he had a ms361 me my 372xp The 372
owns the 361,it will easily cut 2 blocks to the 361's 1 block. both just had new chains put on them.I used  to be hard Stihl fan had heard all the talk and  hype of the 372 xp.thought  it was just that.Well it is'nt.the are the smoothest best cutting saws a  man can own,If you think this
is just Husky fans talking like I used  to,Just do  yourself a favor and try 1  you  will not be disappointed
gotta love those XP saws

Cut4fun

Hickory, I see you sold a 441. I tested one out and it was about worthless imo in that class of saw 70cc. Only something a stihlhead could like.
I have been testing a Husqvarna 570 which is smaller the the 441 cc wise at 68cc and it out cuts it imo with its broader torque curve.
I am neither husky or stihl biased I like them all.
But I would take the dolmar 7900 over all of them. It just flat out rocks and kicks all the 70cc-79cc saws butts in the class.
I have owned them to know.

beenthere

Old_hickory
Reading back on your old threads, I think you are still trying to convince yourself that the 372xp was the right decision... ;D ;D ;D

Glad you like it.  :)
south central Wisconsin

Old_Hickory

beenthere   it is  by  far the best chainsaw   I  have ever used or bought,Is  glad   i sold  the 441  and  got  the 372 xp,I  would'nt be   much afraid  to say  my  old 034 AV super would
cut with  the 441 in 20 inch  and under stuff, Ive noticed at full throttle the 372 just slices
the wood,the 441 cut,but nothing like the 372XP
gotta love those XP saws

Dave Shepard

Was at the shop today, and they had a 441 and a 460 side by side. The 441 was $800, and the 460 was $850. Trying to figure out why the 441, the same weight but less power, is even on the shelf? smiley_headscratch. A buddy of mine crushed his last 440, and replaced it with a 441, he was not a happy camper.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Old_Hickory

I know when  I  had  my 441,it list more power than  the 372xp lists.But wide open the 372
just walks all over the 441
gotta love those XP saws

hornett22

441 is a joke of a saw.falls short with more than a 20".372 is much more saw than the 441.

i agree with the post about the 441 and the 460.doesn't make sense while the 460 is available.460 is a great saw.

Old_Hickory

the 441 is'nt even  in the same class as the 372 XP
gotta love those XP saws

beenthere

This plays like a broken record.... ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin

SawTroll

Quote from: beenthere on December 01, 2008, 10:01:09 PM
This plays like a broken record.... ::) ::) ;D ;D ;D

Yup.... ::) :D :D
Information collector.

Thank You Sponsors!