iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Timberjack Brake Service

Started by Mooseknuckle, February 23, 2015, 08:42:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mooseknuckle

I pulled my hercules winch off today as it needs some attention to the worm gear!  In doing so i figured i might as well take a look at the brake drum. Is there anything to servicing these brakes? I have never taken one like this apart.   :PI'm guesssing that i would take the 4 nuts off the face and the drum should slid off?  Maybe a quick tutorial if some has the time!! Thanks in advance for the help!
Moose

Pioneer P51 is look'n for a Buddy!!

so il logger

You can remove the large castle nut on the end of the shaft and the hub and drum will slide off. Inside is just shoes like an automotive application would have. If I remember correctly I have even bought new shoes, spring kit at napa. Commonly the lip seal in there will go bad and cause gear oil from transfer to get on the brakes. It's best to replace it while your there.

barbender

As much as I love the old cable machines, man, they put pathetic brake systems on them :(
Too many irons in the fire

so il logger

My buddies did a disc conversion on their 230
Stops and holds like a mountain goat now
I believe hey used a rotor and caliper for a1/2 ton Chevy
if this snow ever goes down I'm gonna try to go get a few pictures and maybe do it to my mac in

Neilo

The little clips that hold the shoes to the back plate are a pain as they are spring loaded. Just be careful not to snap them off. The rest is pretty straight forward

barbender

My Pettibone has a disc brake on it factory, but man, you gotta put some sauce to the pedal to get it to hold against the winch. I've had brainstorms of putting a hydro-booster on it so I could have power brakes 8)
Too many irons in the fire

Mooseknuckle

So I took the pinion nut off, slid the drum off and noticed that the springs of the left side were gone and replaced with tie wrap :D. The bottom spring fell out as the pin was broken.  Lots if meat on the brake pads 8)
The piston assembly was leaking so i removed the entire assembly.  While at it I figured I might as well do the pinion seal. Lots of grease and oil in the brake assembly.   

Pioneer P51 is look'n for a Buddy!!

Jeff

Yea, that aint goona work like that. You may need to do some brake baking after you get all those contaminate points eliminated.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

so il logger

X2 on the brake baking, it looks all to familiar to what I seen last year when I opened up my 225 brakes :o

Thank You Sponsors!