iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Panel Raising Router Bits - Vertical or Horizontal?

Started by DR Buck, February 19, 2012, 09:34:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR Buck

I'm looking at picking up 1 or 2 panel raising bits for use with my router table & 3.5hp router. Which work better vertical or horizontal?   What do you use and why one over the other.

I'm not interested in raising panels on the table saw, so no need to try and convince me to do it that way.   ;)
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

JV

I personally like vertical because of the smaller diameter.  Those large horizontal bits have to run slower and I think have more chance for tear out.  I think the vertical makes a smoother cut.  The downside of vertical is you are unable to do arched panels, just straight.  You do need a taller fence for stability.  Just my opinion for what it's worth.
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

submarinesailor

Dave,

Don't know what you are speaking of.  Can you or someone post a picture of each?

Bruce

metalspinner

Assuming your router has a speed control, the stability of your workpiece while being machined should determine which one to use. 
Like JV mentioned, you will need a tall fence to use the verticle bits and a consistant means of holding the work agianst the fence (feather boards).  This can get awkward and bulky sometimes.

For anything other than straight cuts, you need the bearing of the horizontal bit.

Usually, though, my decision is based on the bit the local Woodcraft store happens to have in inventory when I go to pick on out. ::)
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

Axe Handle Hound

I have both a vertical and a horizontal.  I was never successful in getting the vertical to cut evenly in depth across the width of the panel.  I think it was due to the fact that the panels always had a slight bit of bow in them and I wasn't able to press the panel against the fence without fear of moving it or tipping the router table.  With my horizontal bit I can push down against the table to compensate for any imperfections in the panel.  Another plus for the horizontal is that you can get one with a back cutter and save yourself an additional series of passes. 

scsmith42

Quote from: Axe Handle Hound on February 19, 2012, 06:51:22 PM
I have both a vertical and a horizontal.  I was never successful in getting the vertical to cut evenly in depth across the width of the panel.  I think it was due to the fact that the panels always had a slight bit of bow in them and I wasn't able to press the panel against the fence without fear of moving it or tipping the router table.  With my horizontal bit I can push down against the table to compensate for any imperfections in the panel.  Another plus for the horizontal is that you can get one with a back cutter and save yourself an additional series of passes.

A third benefit of horizontal is that it is much easier to use a power feeder with them, or a sliding panel jig for ease of feeding.
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

WDH

The vertical always looked like a good idea, but I have the horizontal and I use a speed control to slow the router down to half the full rpms.  Works good, but when that big horizontal bit is at full speed on the router and it is howling and screaming, that is scary.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!