iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

My Eclassic 2300 leaking

Started by ecrane99, April 15, 2013, 04:17:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

This is why I like my E classic.
8 years and still humming.
Sure it uses more wood, but more wood cost versus a probable replacement?
Maybe 3 cords per year more at (my cost $75 because i have my own wood supply) versus a replacement of several thousands of $
I'll take more wood any day.
Pete
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Logging logginglogging

I am suprised you are allowed to have an OWB in NY , I am sure they will be banning those soon. Poor folks in NY have no rights left at all.

ecrane99

Quote from: Logging logginglogging on May 02, 2013, 03:42:28 PM
so what ever happened?

After discussions with my dealer, the decision was made to have the unit repaired.  A welder was here for 3 hours.  He cut out a section of the air channel to make the repair.  Then re installed, straightened and re welded the air channel.  He claimed that the repair area is stronger than the original steel so I need not worry about a failure of the repaired section.

Ed

doctorb

My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

petefrom bearswamp

Yeah NY laws suck.
MY owb was grandfathered so no probs there.
A few years ago strict regs were proposed for owb units, but shelved after many public input meetings.
In addition to the above I can no longer burn my slabs
The open burning law states a bonfire cannot exceed 3 ft in diameter unless it is for ceremonial purposes.
Maybe I should tart a religion that requires such a ceremony.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

stumper

Interesting. 

In looking at the repair I note the the air channel was not re welded to the side of the boiler (water jacket) only to itself.  Accordingly I think the repair person is correct that you will not need to worry about a failure in that area becuase the differential expansion of the metal will not be transfered to the water jacket. 

I must now wonder about future failures.  This repair transfer the stress elsewhere hopefully into just the air channel not elsewhere on the water jacket.  I can only hope for myself that the weak spot in my boiler is the air channel weld and not transfered into the water jacket.

Logging logginglogging

Was the origional leak just above the air channel? Like where the air channel meets the jacket?
Is that where most of them that do leak have it start?
Cant wait to finally shut mine down and clean it up for the year, but as of right now... we still had a fire last night... its still pertty chilly at night

Hackberry

Hi Guys, Long time since my last post.  Sorry to report my E-classic has THREE cracks and leakes in it.  All in the fire box with the cracks extending down from the air holes.     

doctorb

Hackberry-  when was your 2300 manufactured?
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Logging logginglogging

Quote from: Hackberry on May 06, 2013, 07:08:04 PM
Hi Guys, Long time since my last post.  Sorry to report my E-classic has THREE cracks and leakes in it.  All in the fire box with the cracks extending down from the air holes.   

Cracks in the air channels are normal, But you say you are also leaking water?

Hackberry

Guys, My E was built in late 2008.  The cracks extend down past the air holes 2.5"-3.25" this is where the leaks are.

Bad Bad News, Hackberry

Logging logginglogging

intresting.... are the leaks a continuation of the cracks in the air channel? if so a spot weld in the crack before it reaches that far or drilling a hole at the end of the crack like you do to a windshield might prevent them from getting that far?

Thank You Sponsors!