iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Opinions please..

Started by brianb88, August 17, 2014, 10:29:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

brianb88

Ok, I am considering buying a new Branson 4020r or 4520r tractor.  Both come with a FEL, are 4WD and have the option of the grapple that I intend to add.  A good friend happens to be a dealer and I would like to do business locally if it is a good deal.  I am wondering if any of you have any experience with this brand and if so what do you think of it?  I am leaning toward the 4520 because it's around 47HP.  I am open to any and all suggestions.  I am not opposed to used tractors but I am leaning heavily towards one with a FEL because I think it would be an asset for my (soon to be) sawmill operation.

Measure twice, cut once

drobertson

There are so many like makes and manufacturers, I would check the history.  I have heard of these, and will say, an ole timer years ago mentioned to my when I started to get a similar unit for around the mill.  They are not a one pony show.  This said, it has often happened that I needed a 6k load ability, so, keep all things in mind.
only have a few chain saws I'm not suppose to use, but will at times, one dog Dolly, pretty good dog, just not sure what for yet,  working on getting the gardening back in order, and kinda thinking on maybe a small bbq bizz,  thinking about it,

StimW

I have had a 3510 Branson since 2005 and am very happy with it!
I bought the tractor and then later bought the FEL and after buying the FEL I realized I had only half a tractor before!! That thing is so useful for many things.
What sold me was mine came with a Cummins engine. Not sure if they still do.
I could see good quality with a lot of features. I worked on Semi tractors and trailers for over 30 years so I know a thing or two about machinery.
A good website to check out is tractorbynet.com  they have a Branson forum and you can find much info there.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller
4000# Clark Forklift W/24" Tires
Promark 6" Brush chipper W/18 hp Kohler

Hookpilot

Don't know the tractor but if you are getting a grapple may want to consider 8ply tires on the front. I had an M7040 with a grapple and went through two sets of tires before I changed to 8 ply and didn't have any more trouble.
WMLT50
"If your actions inspire others to dream more, learn more, do more and become more, you are a leader."
                 -- John Quincy Adams

StimW

Here is pic using FEL to lift my boat when swapping trailers

Here is a bucket extension I made for leaves and pine needles

And tractor with backhoe attached, I was removing tree and digging stump

I bought tractor with the R-4 tires (Industrial), they make it much more stable and don't hurt my lawn.
New HF Band Mill
Branson 35 hp 4 WD Diesel Tractor W/Attachments- Backhoe, FEL W/ Bucket or Forks, 4' Tiller

ladylake

While grapples are real nice and I'd get that first, forks will lift quite a bit more due to the lighter weight and also get a log a little closer to the tractor.  Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

jmouton

we have a 4520  , an older one maybe  2006 or so  and we love it ,  everything is great on it  until it breaks , the loader lever kinda sucks ,   thank goodness  i am a welder too ,  i had to fabricate  a new piece cuz the old one was made like  crap ,  and   get extra banjo  bolts for the hyd lines you will eventually need them and they are hard to find , ,  but other than that it is a good little machine ,  dont expect to pick up bigger logs though it not rated  for much on the loader , at least for me anyways , weight wise ,  ,, dealers are hard to find though, at least here in mich , 

thats my 2 cents worth     

jim
lt-40 wide ,,bobcat,sterling tandem flatbed log truck,10 ton trailer, stihl 075,041,029,066,and a 2017 f-350,oh and an edger

brianb88

Thanks all for the replies.  I still haven't made up my mind but if I get it I will probably hold off on the grapple and look for fork attachment with grapple capability.  They are about 400 lbs. lighter and the FEL only has 2100 lb. lift.

Nice looking tractor StimW   8)

Measure twice, cut once

bandmiller2

I'am with Steve on the forks, I have both, the grapple is somewhere in the yard covered up with roof rubber. Grapple is good to pluck logs out of a trailer with sides. Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

brianb88

Again, I really appreciate all the info.  I have spent many hours on the information highway looking for any and everything to do with this tractor and most of it is brand/dealer related sunshine and rainbows. 

I want to know what happens when the tractor/ bushog meets 1-2" sweet gum/thick briar patch/tall thick grass or muddy/flooded bottom land?  How does it perform in less than ideal conditions and just how rugged is it? 

I have yet to find many bad reviews on this tractor and I wonder if that is because it is a relatively newer model.  I am looking for any/all opinions.  I have heard many of the good ones and I want to hear how it performs when it has to get down and dirty.  thanks
Measure twice, cut once

Magicman

A reliable dealer with the appropriate service and parts availability would be a top priority.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

brianb88

Magicman, that is one of the main "pros" to me.  The dealer is well known for his reliability and I trust him.  I just can't help but look for the negative/cons in things, especially when they are relatively new/untested.
Measure twice, cut once

Magicman

I had never heard of the brand before you mentioned it, so I had to Google.  A reliable/trustworthy dealer is essential.
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Joe Hillmann

Quote from: brianb88 on August 19, 2014, 05:59:42 PM
Thanks all for the replies.  I still haven't made up my mind but if I get it I will probably hold off on the grapple and look for fork attachment with grapple capability.  They are about 400 lbs. lighter and the FEL only has 2100 lb. lift.

Nice looking tractor StimW   8)

I just want to point out that that 2100 lbs of lift is probably unrealistic.  That is probably what it can lift if the load is hanging from the back of the bucket.  As the load moves forward (away from the pivot point on the bucket) the amount it can lift goes down fast.

Hilltop366

I have a 2000 f3550 with a Mitsubishi engine and Frey loader that I bought second hand in 2003 with 300 hours on it now it has 1000 hours on it. My location is 4 miles from the ocean (the first 3 years it was 300 feet from the ocean) I used it for snow removal the first few years I owned it so with the ocean spray and road salt it is very rusty the steel body parts are shot and some steel hydraulic lines under the tractor are quite rusty. Rubber parts don't seem to last long in the sun.

(for comparison cars that are not undercoated only last about 8 years here)

Mechanically it has been very reliable with no failures and seems heavy built.

Electrically there has been a few issues mostly caused by my salty environment, although the ignition switch did fail and was told by the parts guy that it was not uncommon.

I have had no problem getting the few parts I did order.

Can't say for sure if I would buy another to replace this one but I would give it a chance.

StimW

Quote from: brianb88 on August 19, 2014, 10:33:48 PM
Again, I really appreciate all the info.  I have spent many hours on the information highway looking for any and everything to do with this tractor and most of it is brand/dealer related sunshine and rainbows. 

I want to know what happens when the tractor/ bushog meets 1-2" sweet gum/thick briar patch/tall thick grass or muddy/flooded bottom land?  How does it perform in less than ideal conditions and just how rugged is it? 

I have yet to find many bad reviews on this tractor and I wonder if that is because it is a relatively newer model.  I am looking for any/all opinions.  I have heard many of the good ones and I want to hear how it performs when it has to get down and dirty.  thanks

I have a Woods 5' Brush Cutter (Bushhog) and I use it on my 3510.
You want MEAN? I back up over Palmettos and lower the cutter and mulch them up!! That is serious clearing!
While I have a dual PTO, 540-1000 I have been told that the 1000 is only to be used on lighter accessories like generators.
New HF Band Mill

brianb88

Well, I ended up buying the 5220R with FEL and I am very pleased. I called the dealer to let him know I was coming to buy the 4520R and he said he said he had one on the lot but when I got there he didn't  have it. He sold me the 5220R for the 4520 price. I bought it back in February and have put about 65 hours on it mostly bush hogging. Hopefully pictures will be with this post.

Measure twice, cut once

Magicman

Well, congrats on your shiny new Branson.   8)

Banjo picker

That is a nice looking machine.  Ole Sid sure sells a lot of them.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

brianb88

Thanks MM and Banjo picker. I finally figured out how to attach a picture. Hopefully soon I will have a sawmill to add to the picture album.
Measure twice, cut once

beenthere

Note Brian, that you just need to upload the pic to your gallery once.  ;) 
After it is there, click on it and you see how to put it in your post (easier now with the additional effort of Jeff).  8)

Can always check on what is in your gallery by clicking your forum name, and there will be "My Gallery" to click to see all the pics.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

brianb88

beenthere, I kinda noticed that after my second third attempt.   :)  I'm kinda of a slow learner afflicted with hard-headedness.  ;D
Measure twice, cut once

Banjo picker

Hey Brian, not saying its the best way to do things, but I have found its easier for me to download the picture straight from my phone into my gallery.  Then you can post from either the phone or your home computer... laptop or what ever you use.  Come by and look at my mill one of these days...I bet we don't live 2 miles apart at least the way the crow flies.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

Chuck White

Congratulations on the new tractor brianb88, looks great.

StimW; I like that bucket extension for leaves and pine needles.  I may have to make one of those for my little Deere!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Thank You Sponsors!