iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

cowcumber, paradise, and shoemake?

Started by hackberry jake, October 22, 2015, 09:04:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hackberry jake

I have a chance to buy these logs. Never heard of em. I looked up cow cumber and it said it was a magnolia. Any advice?
https://www.facebook.com/TripleTreeWoodworks

EZ Boardwalk Jr. With 20hp Honda, 25' of track, and homemade setworks. 32x18 sawshed. 24x40 insulated shop. 30hp kubota with fel. 1978 Massey ferguson 230.

WDH

Cucumber tree, Magnolia acuminata, has green heartwood, just like yellow poplar.  Wood is very very similar to yellow poplar, so it will be nice to mill and be easy to work with on projects.  May be prone to blotching when staining, like yellow poplar.  Southern magnolia, the ones with the big white flowers, and the ones that you sit under to sip mint juleps, has a dark brown heartwood.  Both yellow poplar and cucumber tree are in the Magnolia family.

I have no experience with tree of paradise, Ailanthus altissima, but I believe the wood is soft and kind of bland.

Shoemake, more properly known as sumac, has very beautiful wood.  very coarse grained.  A novelty wood as the sumac never gets very large.  Check out Forum member @phinds wood ID website.  It is excellent.  Best on the web, by far.

http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/sumac.htm
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Kingmt

There is different kinds of sumac. But some people have reactions to sumac. It burns pretty.
Sawmill=Harbor Freight Item#62366
Chainsaws=MS180CBE(14"), MS290(18"), MS038(20"), MS660(20" & 36")
Staff=1Wife & 5 Kids :)
Please excuse my typing. I don't do well at catching auto correct.

hunz

Around here the mountain folk call poised sumac shoemake.
Dream as if you'll saw forever; saw as if you'll die today.

2006 Woodmizer LT40D51RA, Husqvarna 372xp, Takeuchi TL140

Kingmt

I've heard it called shoemac & I thought that was it's name until I was probably 20.

How big is the sumac? I have three biggest I've seen around here. I've cut & burned my biggest one about 10 years ago. Seems it was around 10-12". I still have one that is 7-8 that I know of. There could be more.

WV Sawmiller

We generally call the Sumac Stinkwood around here as it has a pretty foul smell. Very few around me get big enough to cut for lumber (except the one I cut a few years ago that took down the power line and knocked out the power up and down the creek here for several miles).
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

Chuck White

In this area, the only Sumac that I've heard of is Staghorn Sumac, I've never seen any of it that was over a couple of inches in diameter.

Wasn't aware that there were more species of it!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Kingmt

Yelp. I know of three. I only know each of the names by sumac tho. A Google search would probably list then tho.

phinds

My site shows at least half a dozen kinds of sumac (genus Rhus), some of them pretty obscure. My favorite is staghorn sumac which has its own page because it's by far the most known and available sumac.  It's very colorful and, just as importantly, it keeps the color over time. Also it fluoresces brilliantly under UV, as I also show on the site.

you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Kbeitz

Here in Pa we have two kinds that I know of.
A tall one that gets a red cluster of something that looks like a fuzzy cluster of seeds.
Some people make tea with that cluster... Not me...
The other kind of sumac that we have grows only about 12-16" tall and gets a white flower
on top. I was told that this is the poison sumac. We dont have a lot of that.

sumac tea...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xCzSWXfdXY
Collector and builder of many things.
Love machine shop work
and Wood work shop work
And now a saw mill work

Ljohnsaw

Quote from: Kbeitz on October 24, 2015, 06:14:53 AM
Here in Pa we have two kinds that I know of.
A tall one that gets a red cluster of something that looks like a fuzzy cluster of seeds.
Some people make tea with that cluster... Not me...
The other kind of sumac that we have grows only about 12-16" tall and gets a white flower
on top. I was told that this is the poison sumac. We dont have a lot of that.

sumac tea...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8xCzSWXfdXY

Yep, we had the same in lower NYS.  I heard the poison sumac would give a rash, but I never tried to see if I would get a reaction. ;)  In 8th grade at a week-long camp, we made Sumac tea and root beer (Sassafras) tea (and ate other things growing around there).  I thought both were good but took a lot of sugar...

Funny the local names of trees.
John Sawicky

Just North-East of Sacramento...

SkyTrak 9038, Ford 545D FEL, Davis Little Monster backhoe, Case 16+4 Trencher, Home Built 42" capacity/36" cut Bandmill up to 54' long - using it all to build a timber frame cabin.

coppolajc10

I grew up on a bee farm, my dad had almost 800 hives, and one of his favorite smoker fuels was those red clusters.

Kingmt

Quote from: coppolajc10 on October 24, 2015, 07:33:54 PM

I grew up on a bee farm, my dad had almost 800 hives, and one of his favorite smoker fuels was those red clusters.
Interesting. You learn something new on here every day.

What makes it you favorite?

etroup10

I'd stay away from the paradise. We get some in to shave and they seem to have really bad tension, as you can see in this picture(I've seen this in probably 1/5 of the paradise logs that come in but not usually this extreme).
I actually had one split into 3 pieces when it dropped in the shaver from the log deck.
NHLA 187th class, lumber inspector. EZ Boardwalk 40 with homemade hydraulics; Gafner Hydraloader; custom built edger, Massey Ferguson 50E, American Sawmill 20" Pony Planer; Husqvarna 55 Rancher

JB Griffin

Shoemake can get big here, My Granny has two in her front yard that are 20"+ DBH and 12-16' to the first limb. Grampa always called em tame shoemake.
2000 LT40hyd remote 33hp Kubota with 6gpm hyd unit, 150 Prentice, WM bms250, Suffolk dual tooth setter

Over 3.5million bdft sawn with a Baker Dominator.

phinds

I assume that's NOT staghorn sumac but some other kind, right?
you can never have too much pepperoni on your pizza or own too many clamps
http://www.hobbithouseinc.com/personal/woodpics/

Dodgy Loner

:D This is probably the only website on the internet where you could type those three words into a title and people would actually know what in the heck you were talking about.

But yeah, WDH nailed each one. Ailanthus altissima resembles ash, but softer and lighter. It's pretty useless as far as I'm concerned. The others are interesting, especially sumac if you can get it with any kind of size.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Thank You Sponsors!