iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Heating Oil in place of Diesel

Started by DR_Buck, May 12, 2018, 12:39:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

Has anyone used home heating oil in place of diesel fuel in their equipment?   I'm not talking on-road vehicles subject to highway taxes, I'm talking about skid steer, tractors, etc.

We just removed our oil furnace that will be replaced by a geothermal heat pump and I have about 100 gallons of heating oil left in a buried tank.  I can drop the hose from my electric fuel pump into the tank to get it out as I need it, then eventually dig up and remove the tank.
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

tawilson

Used to be in the hvac trade and had to demo fuel tanks over the years and got to salvage fuel oil in the process. Seemed to work fine in my equipment. Pretty sure it's the same thing around here.
Tom
2017 LT40HDG35 WIDE
BMS250 and BMT250 sharpener/setter
Woodmaster 725

DelawhereJoe

#2 fuel oil is just dyed diesel fuel it just has that dye in it so truckers don't skip out on the tax from the diesel, just watch out for all the rust/crap/junk and water in the bottom of the tank.
WD-40, DUCT TAPE, 024, 026, 362c-m, 041, homelite xl, JD 2510

submarinesailor

Dave,

Run it thru a good filter and make sure your water separators on the skid steer and tractors are working and you should be fine.

A really good example of this; a very large military base in Maryland directly fueled their 6 5MW generators to the main heating plant 200,000 gl oil tank.  The only problem was the oil had been setting for over 10 years without any testing or treatment.  When they first fired the gen sets, they were charging fuel filters at a very short duration.  That's when they decided to have the oil checked....very dirty with lots of things growing in it.

Bruce

Chuck White

Locally if we order fuel oil (not kerosene) or off-road diesel, they are the same exact thing!
~Chuck~  Cooks Cat Claw sharpener and single tooth setter.  2018 Chevy Silverado and 2021 Subaru Ascent.
With basic mechanical skills and the ability to read you can maintain a Woodmizer  LT40!

Southside

Have done it plenty of times, the only difference between the two is some places charge a sales tax, or different sales tax on one class or the other - not accounting for seasonal blends of course.  
Franklin buncher and skidder
JD Processor
Woodmizer LT Super 70 and LT35 sawmill, KD250 kiln, BMS 250 sharpener and setter
Riehl Edger
Woodmaster 725 and 4000 planner and moulder
Enough cows to ensure there is no spare time.
White Oak Meadows

Ron Wenrich

A number of years ago I asked the local gas station what the difference was between home heating oil and diesel.  He said about 65ยข a gallon.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

bodagocreek2

X2 what Delaware Joe said. Usually black gunk in bottom of tank. The last 10 - 15 gallons used for starting camp fires.

WLC

Been running heating oil in my tractor and plow truck for years with no ill effects.
Woodmizer LT28
Branson 4wd tractor
Stihl chainsaws
Elbow grease.

Crusarius

When I had heating oil delivered the bill said #2 diesel. It ran just fine in the boiler. No issues at all.

thecfarm

When I was heating my place with oil,the truck stopped here and filled me up and than went on top of the hill to fill up the wood cutting equipment on top of the hill. But this was about 15 years ago too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!