iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

alarm keeps going off

Started by Cedarman, August 14, 2006, 10:07:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cedarman

I've got a 1996 Chrysler Town and Country minivan.  You can lock it and walk away.  After 5 or 10 minutes the car alarm goes off all by itself.  I want to disable the alarm. How do I do this?
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

woodbowl

bat_smailey bat_smailey  and then,   smiley_smash smiley_smash

Another thing, why do cars feel the need to lock us in? Why can't I open my door without the dome light comming on if I want to, and why do I have to wait for 20 seconds untill the dome light goes off after I close the door?

Why can't manufactures just make a good car that ............... Hmmmm,  I think I'll go over to the topic "they can send a man to the moon, but"  ....
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Radar67

You mean after you go to "A Funny Story" and make that quill post.  :D :D :D

Stew
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

getoverit

This was interesting enough to do some digging for an answer and I found several:

First, try locking and unlocking the doors (all of them including the back door) with the key instead of the wireless.

if that doesnt do it, turn the car switch on, but dont start it and leave it that way for 20 minutes, then turn the key off and immediately start the car. This will reset the alarm system.

If those dont work, it is a short circuit in the car's main computer or a ground wire that is corroded and will have to be replaced or repaired. The good news is that someone with a car computer terminal may be able to reset the problem or at least tell you where it is or disable that portion of the alarm system. It seems that some of the car alarms grounds become corroded and cause this to happen sometimes. The problem is that there are numerous grounds for the alarm system and there is no way to tell which one is doing the problem without a computer system check.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

Tom

We asked the dealer about getting a computer diagnosis last month and it was $85.  He said that he would be glad to let it go toward repairs if they did the repairs.  So, be ready to get a one hundred dollar bill torn up pretty good.

pigman

Quote from: Cedarman on August 14, 2006, 10:07:29 AM
I want to disable the alarm. How do I do this?
Take the car to a scrap yard and put it through a shreader. ;D Of course that would be hard on the rest of the car. ;)
Bob the mechanic
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

woodbowl

Quote from: Tom on August 14, 2006, 04:52:57 PM
.... computer diagnosis last month and it was $85. ......... So, be ready to get a one hundred dollar bill .........

Hey, I went to advanced auto parts the other day and they did it for free.   smiley_bouncing_pinky   I've heard that they all do it. They gave me the readout to keep. I bought the part from them cause I was feeling grateful.  ;D

Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

ScottAR

Oreilly's don't so don't ask...  :)

Somebody somewhere fried a computer doing I don't know what so
"they" won't let us go near em...

Kinda funny, Most counter folks vehicles don't have power anything... 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Cedarman

We got a quote of $60.00 to do diagnostics.  It seems to do it when it rains or there is a lot of humidity in the air.  Thanks for the help.  Nobody mentioned disconnecting the battery every time we stop and lock the car.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Don P

Our little Ranger has some kinda problem that has tempted me to get a battery disconnect. The door ajar light comes on / stays on/ or goes out of its own desire. The dome light stays on or finally goes out on its own too. There doesn't seem to be an exposed switch. It seems like I'm always finding stuff I didn't want or need breaking and going "What were they thinking".
The battery died this week on the Honda. No sweat, switched it out. The radio needs an input code to work again. What were they thinking?

jkj

Quote from: woodbowl on August 14, 2006, 10:38:36 AM
Another thing, why do cars feel the need to lock us in?  Why can't I open my door without the dome light comming on

I believe locking the doors when the engine is started is intended to be a safety feature.  I consider the dome light function to be a convenience thing.

Remove the door switch and disconnect or cut the wire(s).  (This assumes the switch is like most and makes contact when the door is opened.) The controller will no longer know you opened or closed the door.  Of course, that means the alarm system won't know if someone else does.

LT-15 for farm and fun

woodbowl

QuoteI believe locking the doors when the engine is started is intended to be a safety feature.

jkj, that's the only thing I can think of too. If someone jumped into the front seat at the redlight and held a gun to grandma's head, I could see where that thinking is going.

If a passerby drives upon a wreck that has just happened and can't get the door open to save grandma, the idea of watching her burn to death digs deep into my heart. What are they thinking?

ksu_chainsaw

The doors automatically locking are a safety feature.  In many side impact wrecks, the door locks are pushed around.  This usually makes the doors lock.  So if the doors are already locked, this sometimes will make them unlock.  Don't know if that actually works, but that's the theory behind it.  In a wreck where you need to get someone out quick, its easier to break the glass, as most of the glass is already broken.

Charles

Dale Hatfield

And If the glass isnt allready broken.  Use The Antena  Bend it over the glass   and pick up on the little ball end and snap it to the glass .
Presto  opened window.

Dale
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Thank You Sponsors!