iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

gearmatic 19 winch problems

Started by johny3cans, March 22, 2010, 08:49:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

johny3cans

just got a pettibone skidder model wt5ad not sure of the year. with a gearmatic 19 winch might even be a 9 on it. have been using it for agout 2 weeks now. here is the problem when winching when you release the handle it will keep winching even if you pull the lever up so it will freespool. you have to push the clutch in to get it to stop. on the way to the landing you have to keep an eye on it. it will just start winching in on its own. it freespools very easy but when in freespool the drum will jerk in and out about 1 inch movment.when there is no load on the winch it works fine.

backpacker

Morning: On a #9 here the rubber inside the slave cylinder were just plain old
and swelled up enough that they were holding the winch, slightly in the pull position.
and it would as yours start to pull bt itself, when it wasn't suppose to at times.
free spool position is a mechanical release , so that alsways worked.
What shape are the bands in? oil on them? worn? out of shape?
hope it helps.

John Woodworth

What do you mean the drum will jerk in and out on free spool, are you talking drum slack in bearings or the line. If you have a mdl. 8 or 9 that will be cast into the cover and they are relitavely small compared to a mdl. 19.

Two things to check, if the winch has been sitting for any period of time and is not leaking on the inner clutches th problem is probably rust on the inner clutch bands which if you tie it to a stump and run the line out, drum in several times almost letting the clutches slip as you drum in, will take rust off and dry out moisture from bands.

If the clutch (winch bands) cylinder is lealing it softens the clutch linnings and they peel off and jam between the drum and linnings.

The Clutch adj. might be tight, again the linnings change with the weather and lack of use, if you pull the side cover and check for .10 to .15 clearance, turn the drum and check in several spots as they sometimes wear oblong  depending on your bearings. I have used a hacksaw blade with the set of the teeth ground flush on drums which you can adj. inner and outer clutches at the same time, otherwise you have to remome outer clutch to adj. inner.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

captain_crunch

Can't remember what they did to fix it but we had on a TD-7 start this and you had to shut off engine for a second to get it to stop winching, One day opperator could not get to shut off quick enough and over she went so I sure would fix it before you get hurt
M-14 Belsaw circle mill,HD-11 Log Loader,TD-14 Crawler,TD-9 Crawler and Ford 2910 Loader Tractor

johny3cans

when the winch is in freespool and your not pulling on the cable the drum will rotate in and out about 1 inch movment. have not taken the side cover off yet to check the bands. when i first got it it would not hold a load up. but after using it it now holds the loads up and does not slip when winchingmy main concern at this time is it dont stop winching when you let off the handle it takes about 5 to 10 seconds for it to stop or you have to push the clutch in to get it to stop. other is when driving the skidder to the landing it will just start winching in on its own. the other day it winched my hitch so tight in the boom that when i pulled the lever up to freespool it would not freespool i had put the hi and low range lever in neutral to get it to drop the load and i had a hard time getting it in neutral

John Woodworth

Pull the side cover and check first the condition of the bands and then the adjustment, thats the symptoms of a soggy with fluid and comming apart and band material jamming between band and drum.
Two Garret 21 skidders, Garret 10 skidder, 580 Case Backhoe, Mobile Dimension sawmill, 066, 046 mag, 044, 036mag, 034, 056 mag, 075, 026, lewis winch

Thank You Sponsors!