iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

petefrom bearswamp

Finally found some Hemlock logs about 30 MBF of fairly decent stuff.
Also 8 -10 mbf White pine.
Will post some pics of the pile when they get delivered.
Hemlock was like hens teeth here this summer.
Sawed a little today.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Peter Drouin

Pete, Did you cut off all your trees on your 240A? With all the land you have, I just thought you would not have a hard time getting trees.
I know you can't cut forever on your land.
A&P saw Mill LLC.
45' of Wood Mizer, cutting since 1987.
License NH softwood grader.

WDH

Quote from: logbyr on September 13, 2018, 08:41:13 AMMagicman  i think the green ash is actually cucumber tree (magnolia acuminata)  purple streaks in lumber and bark pattern are giveaway.   Lumber is sold along with poplar.  
The wood in the pic looks to be ring porous.  Cucumber tree is diffuse porous.  Had to tell 100% from that photo.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Magicman

All that I know is that when I saw the bark it looked more like Sweetgum but the log ends and lumber looked like Poplar.  I'll post all of the pictures for comparison:

The bark, which unlike Poplar was softer and flaky.  

The log.  Notice my "debarkers" at work and wearing out brushes because the log had been drug down a gravel road.  :-\

The only lumber picture that I took.  

All of the Ash that I have ever sawn, the lumber kinda resembled Oak but to me prettier.  The lumber's color was also a yellowish white with little distinction between the sap and heart wood.  I did not look at the log/lumber end to determine ring/diffuse porous.

This lumber resembled Tulip Poplar but whatever it was, I have never sawed it before.  The customer insisted that it was Green Ash.  ??
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

barbender

That lumber does not resemble green ash I have cut. The bark, maybe.
Too many irons in the fire

barbender

But, if a paying customer says it's green ash, then it's green ash!😁
Too many irons in the fire

WDH

This one, MM, the purported green ash, got sent up to the booth for instant replay and further review.  After further review, the call on the mill has been reversed.  Logbyr's call of cucumber tree appears to be correct :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Resonator

Do they finish cucumber tree lumber with a pickling stain? 
Under bark there's boards and beams, somewhere in between.
Cuttin' while its green, through a steady sawdust stream.
I'm chasing the sawdust dream.

Proud owner of a Wood-Mizer 2017 LT28G19

mike_belben

Praise The Lord

petefrom bearswamp

Peter,
Had very little Hemlock on my properties.
it is long gone.
Kubota 8540 tractor, FEL bucket and forks, Farmi winch
Kubota 900 RTV
Polaris 570 Sportsman ATV
3 Huskies 1 gas Echo 1 cordless Echo vintage Homelite super xl12
57 acres of woodland

Magicman

@WDH.  I will call the customer and have him take me to the scene of the crime.  Since it was fresh felled there should be remaining visible evidence. 

My original statement about the log species seems to be correct:  "he said and I don't know". :D
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Magicman

I called the customer this morning who said that the lumber was still available at his place so I took a drive.

The sliced off end of one of his slabs.

A closeup of a board.

Two slightly different end grain views with the left side wet and the right side dry.  Even with my magnifier I see no pores.

The customer plans to go to the stump this weekend and either bring me or take some pictures of the tops/limbs/leaves.

Brad_bb

You don't have a quarter sawn piece do you MM?  Wondering if it could be an elm.  I'd need to see the board face of the board closer/clearer.
Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

Magicman

Oh no, the wavy pores would be very distinguishable with Elm. 

Book matched Elm.

WDH

It is surely cucumber tree. The rings are right, and the pores are right, and the bark is right, and the color is right.  Ole Logbyr was right on the money. 

logbyr

Just happens to be something i see fairly frequently.    Was suprised to see it grew that far south.  

Magicman

The customer told me that there are several/many in the bottom where this one came from.  He said that the general shape of the tree resembled Tulip Poplar. He also said that the leaves are fairly large.

He is planning/hoping to visit the stump tomorrow.

Brad_bb

12.5"x12.5"x12.5' Walnut timber.  I'll lose the 1/2" when I plane it later.  And I haven't even gotten to the big logs yet.  I've been working all summer from the smallest dia to the largest.

Anything someone can design, I can sure figure out how to fix!
If I say it\\\\\\\'s going to take so long, multiply that by at least 3!

RPowers

Been doing a little saw work between overtime shifts at the Fire Department. I cut these live edge Red Elm today. This has to be one of the prettiest woods fresh sawn, almost beats walnut IMO. 

The customer had a couple White Oak stumps saved from his house site and wanted some end tables made. Here is the first one I cut. Made it so that the top is wider than base and the stump is upside down to display the grain more. 

2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

WV Sawmiller

RPowers,

How did you make the wedge shaped oak stumps? Did you forget to lower the toeboard? :D
Howard Green
WM LT35HDG25(2015) , 2011 4WD F150 Ford Lariat PU, Kawasaki 650 ATV, Stihl 440 Chainsaw, homemade logging arch (w/custom built rear log dolly), JD 750 w/4' wide Bushhog brand FEL

Dad always said "You can shear a sheep a bunch of times but you can only skin him once

rjwoelk

Cut some 5 elder logs for a feller 1hr and 15 min he went away very happy.

Lt15 palax wood processor,3020 JD 7120 CIH 36x72 hay shed for workshop coop tractor with a duetz for power plant

Magicman

Yes RPowers, Elm is some beautiful stuff.  I saw it quite often but I rarely get to see how it turned out after it dried.  I do caution customers about the need for proper stickering. 

Those "stumps" will be bold.

RPowers

Quote from: WV Sawmiller on September 14, 2018, 11:31:19 PM
RPowers,

How did you make the wedge shaped oak stumps? Did you forget to lower the toeboard? :D
I suggested that design to the customers to allow a wider top and not loose so much of the stump/root flare grain in the sawing. Just shimmed up the top end of the stump for all 4 cuts to get what I liked. Kind of a pain but turned out nicely. 
2013 Woodmizer LT28G25 (sold 2016)
2015 Woodmizer LT50HDD47

Busysawyer

Cut a few little maple slabs today. 

Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Magicman

Those should make someone very happy or very crazy and you win either way. :D :D

Will you dry them or market as is for a quick turnover?

Thank You Sponsors!