iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cleaning OWB

Started by Steve_M, July 15, 2010, 11:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Steve_M

I have been running an Empyre 450 for the past 4 years ---365/year.  This past year I have felt that the OWB has last some of its efficency--not that it has a lot to start with.

I recently shut it down for the summer and would like to take the opprotunity to give the fire box a good cleaning.  I have done some cleaning before with scrappers, chisles, screwdrivers, ect.

Has anyone used any type of spray on cleaner with any success to get the fire box to a "like new" condition?

Should a just knock of the chuncks and not worry about the rest?   

Steve
2001 WM Super LT40 Electric and WM Twin Blade Edger, just a part timer custom sawing and cutting salvage logs.

beenthere

Anything a hot fire won't take care of?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

WH_Conley

on my Hicks, just open it up and let it run, might even hear the water boiling, after a little while run the brush through the tubes and it is clean.
Bill

doctorb

I agree.  Get a good hot fire and a long handled scraper.  It won't get so clean that you'd eat off it, but it removes the vast majority of the build-up.

Doctorb
My father once said, "This is my son who wanted to grow up and become a doctor.  So far, he's only become a doctor."

Thank You Sponsors!