iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Too windy to chop

Started by Tombstone, May 20, 2008, 01:33:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombstone

Is there a rule of thumb or just a general mph that sets a limit for chopping? Kind of a stupid question I know but I didn't think that yesterday was too bad here and I almost learned the hard way! :o
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

Jeff

Its kinda like the law of driving to fast for conditions. Depends on the circumstances. I would think timber type, soil and other aspects has a bunch to do with it.  In my woods, any wind at all and it aint safe to even BE in the woods due to the declining birch and aspen.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Ron Scott

Use good judgement. when the tops are moving and the wind starts taking control of your intended falling direction, it's time to do something else. As the wind increases the area will become more hazardous and subject to falling woody debris.

~Ron

Corley5

When the trees start rocking on the stump, twisting in odd directions and falling other than the intended direction it's time to start skidding.  I'd rather have a bit of a breeze than no wind at all.
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tombstone

I do like the breeze that is for sure especially now with the Vampire Black Flies trying to eat your eyes out and all that AAAAAARGH!!!!! :D
1976 Clark 666B Cable Skidder,Huskie 372, Old Johnny Red Saw, Old Chevy Ton Truck,1972 Massey 20 Tractor, Cutting keeps me sane!

Corley5

Our blackfly season wasn't bad this year  8) but there's a bumper crop of mosquitoes now
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tombstone

They aren't too bad when skidding seems the machine somewhat keeps them away, chopping, well you are too busy to really notice...just don't stand still!!!!! I thought the cold nights we have been having would help but ..............

Dale Hatfield

Some days its too windy, rainy ,muddy because you tried after the rainy, Too cold cause your junk equipment wont start . Most things go wrong/break when ya say ill get just one more drag,fell one more tree.
Game Of Logging trainer,  College instructor of logging/Tree Care
Chainsaw Carver

Dave Shepard

Dale, that's how I know I'm done digging a hole. I think "just one more scoop". Don't ever take the last scoop, that's where the waterline/phone line/electric line/fiber optic line to Cheney's secret hideout is. Ask me how I know. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

limbrat

I dont cut after a good rain either. The lower self pruning limbs of pine soak up a lot of water get heavy and are more likely to fall even without a wind and they fall right beside the tree.
ben

RSteiner

I was out in the woods in southeastern New Hampshire yesterday and there was a good breeze.  Like yesterday, when the wind starts blowing the tops of the trees then lets up and comes in another direction in a few seconds time that is time to call it a day.  There were dead branches falling all over the place where I was.

I don't mind a constant light breeze that doesn't change direction abruptly especially if it is blowing in your favor.

Randy
Randy

Tombstone

Randy,

I think we are talking about the same day, and you bet it was time to pack it in!

Thank You Sponsors!