iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

helpers are not helping

Started by sgtmaconga, November 17, 2007, 05:05:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sgtmaconga

Measure twice cut once

sawguy21

Now why did we not think of that? :D Looks like a good way to get hurt.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

redpowerd

someone should spank their parents.....
NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

mike_van

I gotta admit to being young & foolish a few times though........ :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

brdmkr

The only thing missing was the classic phrase 'hey guys, watch this!'

Of course, I think that was implied.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Corley5

Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Furby

This guy used way too much gas to light his bon fire! :o :o :o
http://embed.break.com/Mjg1NTQ1

I say we need to encourage this type of stuff, eventually natural selection will purge them from the gene pool!

Dan_Shade

i've never understood why people use GAS on brush piles, it's dangerous and stupid and really doesn't work as well as kerosene.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

redpowerd

NO FARMERS -- NO FOOD
northern adirondak yankee farmer

Furby

Yeah, it's expensive now! :o
I've used gas lots of times. :)
Mostly old gas mixed with old/used oil and such.
Done correctly, even straight gas is VERY effective.
As effective as kerosene......... don't know as I've never used straight kerosene.
The trick in any case is proper use and amount.
Doing what he did was nothing short of stupid by almost anyones standards!

Tom

Gasoline is a dangerous fire starter because it is so flammable.  Diesel, kerosene and mixes of Gasoline and old oil or diesel are a lot safer.  The fellow in the video reminded me of my boys.

We were going to have one of our New Year's Eve Bonfires and had made the pile back in the woods were the house site was to be.  It had been cleared pretty good and I had made some benches and stuff to sit on.  But, it was just too hot. We adults decided to sit around the cooking fire in the backyard and converse while partaking of beverages.

The Kids, mine and a bunch of the neighborhood kids asked if they could light the bonfire. Sure, there was no problem with that.

We adults were interrupted in mid sentence with a big Ka-whooomph, the sky went black and every tree in the forest was silhouetted  by a white/yellow light.  Before we could jump up and run to see what had happened, the kids hollered "It's alright, It's alright", and they were laughing to split their sides.  We did go back there to make sure, but they had it all in hand. 

As it turned out, Toby, my biggest twin, had put gasoline on the pile (a cabin looking affair) and couldn't find a match.  He had run to the house to get one and then lit the fire.  The 3 or 4 minutes it had taken him to get the match, the gasoline vapors had spread all over the clearing.   When he lit the pile, there was practically an explosion and the entire clearing lit up as the vapors on the ground burned.  Later he said to me,"Daddy, I couldn't breathe.  All of the Oxygen went away".  :D

Yes, we had a talk on safety and the action of gasoline.  They never did it again.  They new better and shouldn't have done it that time, but kids don't always believe what they've been told until they see for themselves.  Somehow most of us live through puberty. :D

thecfarm

We never used gas to start a brush fire and we had lots of fires.Sometimes we only would use newspaper to get it going.Slower that way but it worked well if the brush was somewhat dry.The only time we ever put gas on a brush fire was when we was tearing down the old garage.My father found a couple gallons way in the back.Been there for 10 years if not longer.We thought the power was gone out of it.He threw that gas on to the fire and just about lost his eyebrows.That was a wow factor.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

beenthere

No comment.... ::) ::) 8) 8)

(but I most never, ever have any kerosene on hand..)   ;D ;D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Don K

I have seen quite a few large starts myself. I always used a little gas but now that I have a tractor i always have some fuel on hand. It is much better on the adrenalin flow.

Don
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

pigman

Back when I was about sixteen, my older brother and I were assigned by our dad to move a large stack of concrete blocks. When we started to load the blocks a swarm of wasps came at us. My brother, being older and smarter, came up with the idea of using a gallon of gasoline to throw on the stack of blocks to kill the wasps. After applying the gasoline he decided that if he lit the gasoline, the desired effect would be even better. Like Tom's son, we did not have a match and had to go to the house to retrieve some. Being the wise and safe one, my brother decided that it would be better to light a piece of paper and throw it on the fire. Now all of this took almost twenty minutes and the gasoline had saturated all the blocks and the vapors had filled the holes in the blocks. When the lit paper got within five feet of the block pile, there was a giant explosion and fireball that looked like one of the special effects seen today in the movies.  Execept for a bunch of cracked blocks no one was hurt. :o ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Thank You Sponsors!