iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatcha Sawin' ???

Started by Magicman, December 23, 2014, 12:00:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

WDH

Howard,

That that (Tom) I have cut has been green logs and the wood is sound, just discolored from the normal color.  It can be quite beautiful.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

YellowHammer

Larry, I'm glad the spindle cleaner is working well and nice looking QS boards. 8) The ability to saw drier, yet keeping the bands clean pays off in many ways, as you know.  If nothing else, not having to scrape sawdust off boards is big for me.  Also, having nice oiled bands that I can sharpen with no rust or pitch to clean off makes that easier, also.  
YellowHammerisms:

Take steps to save steps.

If it won't roll, its not a log; it's still a tree.  Sawmills cut logs, not trees.

Kiln drying wood: When the cookies are burned, they're burned, and you can't fix them.

Sawing is fun for the first couple million boards.

Be smarter than the sawdust

grweldon

It's a red oak. Grew behind my house until the city cut it down. I got the log and it sat outside in the weather for 18+ months. I assumed the spalting has turned it dark?
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

grweldon

I have both laurel and blackjack oak at the farm but this came from the house, 30 miles away.  It is possible that it is a laurel but it isn't a blackjack for sure.
My three favorite documents: The Holy Bible, The Declaration of Independence and The Constitution of the United States.

Lawg Dawg

Tree Service Logs!  :snowball:

Some 24" diameter pine logs. Some White oak, poplar, and everyone's favorite SWEET GUM! Couldn't pass up the deal, wish me luck :D. I think I'll make live edge Mantels out of most of it...Holidays are coming!  :christmas: :christmas: :christmas: :christmas:
2018  LT 40 Wide 999cc, 2019 t595 Bobcat track loader,
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Magicman

You don't need any luck.  Looks like you already have it all.   8)
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

It's Weird being the Same Age as Old People

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Lawg Dawg

Some of them big yard pines...luckily didn't find any hardware  8)

1x8x10

2 - 8" cants free of heart

Got an order for 150 of them to got out by Saturday...Thankful for plenty of work :)

Also had a good phone conversation with BusySawer the other day, good to talk to other GoGetters
John Deere 4000, 2016 F150, Husky 268, 394xp, Shindiawa 591, 2 Railroad jacks, and a comealong. Woodmaster Planer, and a Skilsaw, bunch of Phillips head screwdrivers, and a pair of pliers!

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Busysawyer

It was nice talking to you LD . Been grade sawing walnut mostly but took some slabs off this big nasty log today. 

Ld, you have any tips for clamping wide slabs? My mill has 35 1/2 in between guides but the clamp only goes out to 26 1/2in . When I slabbed that log I cut down 3/4 of the way then I needed to move my clamp and stops down so I flipped 180 and my clamp wouldn't go out far enough. Besides making a small face opening then flip 180 . Clamp and stops low and cut to the deck is there a better way?
Even a blind squirrel finds a nut every once in awhile

Lawg Dawg

Try cutting down about a third of the way, then flip 180 and let the weight of the log hold itself down.  Leave the slabs stacked up on themselves till you've got them all sawed.  ;)

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

jb616

Hickory, Elm, Cherry, and White Oak. I haven't sawn Pine at all yet. All Hardwoods.

trapper

ash for my stepson to make trim and doors to compliment the ash floor he made a few years ago. 
stihl ms241cm ms261cm  echo 310 400 suzuki  log arch made by stepson several logrite tools woodmizer LT30

Busysawyer

Slabbed another big walnut today. 

Lawg Dawg

BS you gonna be rolling in the dough before long  :o 8)

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Busysawyer

I'm a happy man but if I can make money doing something I enjoy as much as milling I'll be even happier. I posted some pics to our business fb page this afternoon and sold two slabs this evening and have 4 people that say they are coming tomorrow.  We will see who shows up tommorow.  I didn't want to start selling until I had a good kiln setup and a decent inventory of dry slabs but apparently people will buy them green right off the mill. Going to be grade and slabbing more walnut tommorow.  I still have a few thousand feet to get cut before the order is due on Tuesday.  Looking forward to cutting something other than walnut. I think I'll saw up my inventory of red oak next. I can't wait to cut some of those pretty oak logs I've had sitting there.

Crossroads

Nice looking slabs bs, it's good to see your efforts coming to fruition.....
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Busysawyer

Going to load this funky log in the mill and see how wide I can get the wide head to cut. Figure I'll get it on the mill and oriented the way i want my slabs then trim the side branches to clear the blade guides. Should be fun and a pain in the but at the same time.  I need to get some 4 degree bands for these wide and knotty cuts. The 46hp Yanmar really struggles pulling the turbo 7s through these wide and nasty logs.   

Magicman

There is gonna be something inside of that forked tail thing.  smiley_thumbsup 
Knothole Sawmill, LLC     '98 Wood-Mizer LT40SuperHydraulic   WM Million BF Club Member   WM Pro Sawyer Network

Never allow your "need" to make money to exceed your "desire" to provide quality service.....The Magicman

Jim_Rogers

Today's happy customer got some 1x10x16 and a 1x8x16 pine boards and a new red flag for his load.
Sold on facebook marketplace.
Thanks Craig.

Jim Rogers
Whatever you do, have fun doing it!
Woodmizer 1994 LT30HDG24 with 6' Bed Extension

Busysawyer

Nice job there Jim.  Are you selling green lumber or kiln dried on fb market place? 

Lawg Dawg

Quote from: Busysawyer on August 11, 2018, 06:19:25 PM
Nice job there Jim.  Are you selling green lumber or kiln dried on fb market place?
BS, not sure about Jim, but I have sold a MOUNTAIN of green lumber.  You just have to sell it cheaper and let the customer know it's green. Despite that, you will build a customer base wanting your GREEN, CHEAPER lumber. Kinda where I'm stuck now. I've hit a level spot with my business selling green lumber, ready to go to the next level....but like they say, you gotta crawl before you walk.  Just always sticker the lumber...it usually works out better in the end.
BTW, that's a highly valuable slab quality walnut log you posted earlier, green or dry 8)

100,000 bf club member
Pro Sawyer Network

Crossroads

BS, I think you're gonna like the 4° blades on the wide black walnut. 
With the right fulcrum and enough leverage, you can move the world!

2017 LT40 wide, BMS250 and BMT250,036 stihl, 2001 Dodge 3500 5.9 Cummins, l8000 Ford dump truck, hr16 Terex excavator, Valley je 2x24 edger, Gehl ctl65 skid steer, JD350c dozer

Busysawyer

MM, found some interesting wood inside that log. I needed to break out the trusty logrite cant hook to get it rolled on the mill. I'm glad I bought the big one.  I dont use it often but when I need it it's there and gets the job done.
Ld, I sold three of those slabs I cut yesterday. All three said they were going to pay someone to kiln dry.  One said he has a guy that will do the 2 3/8 walnut slabs for a buck a foot in a Dh kiln and the other two both use the same guy in a vac kiln for about $1.50 a bf. I talked to vaccutherm yesterday and we are kicking around the idea of getting one of those idry units. 
Crossroads, the 4s have been reccomend to me by a couple guys here. I love the turbos for grade sawing but my mill just doesn't have the power to push them through wide cuts well. Even with a brand new band I have to crawl through and if I even increase speed a touch the engine barks, I lose band speed and almost stall it. 
Here's some pics from the log I slabbed today.

Magicman

I say "yes you did".  8)

Ianab

Been busting up some pine logs into firewood with the mill. Some of it's pretty knotty and a bear to split, but if you saw it into 4x4 etc then you can load those onto a sawbuck and lop them up with a chainsaw. Actually works pretty well, and is easier then wrestling 3ft dia rounds. 

But I took a break from that to open up a little black walnut "log" that had been left in the shed by the previous property owner.  Pleasantly surprised, as the log has been sitting around so long that the sapwood had darkened. 

This is how I cut stupidly small logs. Get 1/2 way though a decent log, and leave a "step", Then you can wedge the small log in place against the step and as long as you are careful, it will stay there. Here I have flipped it over to make one live edge "slab", a whole 8-10" across.  :D

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Ianab

Busting up some big ugly pine. Basically it's not much use unless you get it treated. in our climate the bugs will chew it up, even if it's protected from the weather. But as firewood it will sell. 

Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Thank You Sponsors!