iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Drill press mod

Started by charles mann, November 08, 2018, 01:13:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

charles mann

I just bought a 20" Jet 12 spd belt drive press. Iv noticed the intermediate pulley doesnt provide enough tension to either the motor or spindle belts. 

I was thinking of converting to a chain/sproket drive and repositioning the tensioner and putting a stiffer tensioner. 

Anyone think this will work? 

Also, the spindle/holding tube in the 2 low rpm (150 and 300 rpm) settings, occilates/wobbles. Any way to take out this slop? Going to set up a mag base dial indicator and see how many 1000ths of deflection. Would like to shim it or machine a new spindle holding tube/housing for a tighter fit. But hopefully shimming it will work for a cheaper fix. 

I wanna use it for lite milling and need the wobble gone, without spending another $3000-5000 for a milling machine
Temple, Tx
Fire Fighting and Heavy Lift Helicopter Mech
Helicopter and Fixed Wing Pilot

Hilltop366

charles mann

New. Bought it from the local welding supply store. 
From all the reviews on those gen perp models, the wobbly spindle was most of the cons to that drill press. 
Temple, Tx

Hilltop366

Ok just wondering if it was a worn belt, guess not.

I replaced the belts on my drill press after 20 something years of intermittent use, it helped a lot but I don't mind if it slips if things bind up.

On the King brand drill press that I have the middle pulley is adjustable front to back to adjust the spindle belt tension and then the motor adjust to adjust the motor belt belt.

charles mann

That is what im trying to prevent, slipping of the belt. The motor has the power to take good bites of metal, even throwing nice curls and chips, IF im holding tension against the spindle belt. If not, bearing down, belt slips, not bearing down, small chips, but mostly produces a powdery material. 
Temple, Tx

Thank You Sponsors!