Sponsors:

The weather

Started by thecfarm, August 04, 2008, 08:46:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

39F this morning :snowball: fire_smiley smile_juggle
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

Rain rain rain 3 inches in the last 2 days and a few more inches on the way here, places just a few miles from here had double that in an hours time. Flash flooding all over the area with lots of roads and buildings washed away. Not something we've seen around here it looks like things we only see on the news. Crazy crazy.

These are from Houghton Michigan the home of Michigan tech university and our closest "big" city. We travel there usually once a week for groceries and anything else we may need.

<br

Banjo picker

Quote from: SwampDonkey on June 15, 2018, 03:08:44 AM
39F this morning :snowball: fire_smiley smile_juggle
Send some of that down here.  Banjo
Never explain, your friends don't need it, and your enemies won't believe you any way.

SwampDonkey

Wow, there must have been some rain in a real hurry. 3" doesn't seem like much otherwise. But 6" is sure a lot in a short time. Really put a hurt'in on that town.

Looking for some rain here tonight, 2" wouldn't hurt the ground none. But I don't think we are going to get that kind of rain.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

chevytaHOE5674

Some areas recieved 7 to 9 inches in a few hours this morning. Put that on top of 3 inches Friday and saturday the ground just couldn't handle it. Some of the buildings destroyed today have stood for 150 years, it's really a shame. Highways are washed out and people are trapped in their homes.

SwampDonkey

Reminds me of the water off Katrina. We had a cold front that dropped 5" the day before Katrina dumped another 4". Everyone had indoor pools in their basements. I had 2" in the basement and ran it out with a sump pump. Then in January had 7" in 24 hours. Doh! My old farm house was over 120 years old with rock wall in basement.

chevytaHOE5674

Trouble with living in an area with steep hills isn't water in your basement it's water taking your basement out from under your house, and relocating your house a few blocks down.

Worst news the nws just issued a warning for upwards of 3 more inches with this next line of storms moving in.

thecfarm

That is awful. Just never know do ya. :o  :(
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

chevytaHOE5674

Really is awful. Always see this kind of stuff on the news and think glad I don't live there... Now we live there...

Nothing you can do but pick up the pieces after its all said and done.

upnut

Yikes! Our son, daughter-in-law and grandaughter are vacationing in the Keweenaw with a jeep and pop-up camper. Last we heard from them they got a hotel room in Copper Harbor yesterday....nothing since. We're supposed to meet them at the Mouth of the Two Hearted River in a couple days, tent camping...may be a change in plans!  Saw videos of major infrastructure damage in Houghton, devastating!  Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

chevytaHOE5674

Haven't heard of any damage north of the Calumet area so they should be fine. Getting through the Houghton and Hancock area south on US41 towards Chassell might be tricky for the near future.

upnut

Thanks for the info! We are trying to monitor the situation, as you probably know they are telling people to avoid driving in the affected areas, with over 60 reported sink holes and many washed out roads and highways travel can be dangerous. I've seen spring break-up cause problems, nothing like this carnage....Scott B.
I did not fall, there was a GRAVITY SURGE!

SwampDonkey

Yes hillside is another matter if you have the type of soil and subsoil that moves when saturated. I'm on top of a hill (landscape is rolling), but it is not steep anywhere. If I was on an esker, kame or drumlin, I'd be worried of the land sliding when saturated. We have those land forms around here, but no one on them and the ground here is not sand, it has a lot of loam and less so of clay mixed in. The sandy part here is more like unscreened gravel not glacial or fluvial sand. To compare, out in Deersdale it is glacial sand and flat, 6" of good topsoil but no one lives there. Hills of any significance there are solid rock with very thin soil. Amazing how maple will grow in that thin soil.

thecfarm

56° and a light shower is going through. It could stay for a while. We need the rain here.
SwampDonkey,was that the rain last January? I was selling stuff for frozen pipes one week,than the next week I was selling sump pumps.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

No, that was Jan 2006, Katrina hit in 2005. That winter we never had any snow here at all. Rain and ice storms. 2010 was another bad year for rain around Dec and Jan, flooded southern NB.

Light rain here today and possible thunder storms. 51F now.

SwampDonkey

1" of rain here in the gauge so far today. :)

thecfarm

Came back and had a shower in the afternoon too. I was at worked,but looked out once and it was coming down hard.

curdog

The thermometer was reading 95 when I got back to the truck this afternoon. More heat and humidity in the forecast....

SwampDonkey

A cool 67F here and a NW wind behind it. ;D

chevytaHOE5674

Barely broke the 60s today, next 4-5 days are supposed to be in the low 70s with 40s at night, by Sunday they are calling for highs only in the 50s. 

I'd like to get going on making some hay/silage but with 7 inches of rain over the weekend and now temps barely in the 70s nothing will dry... soooo we just sit on our hands and wait. 

thecfarm

54° sunny and dry.

curdog

76 this morning with 5 million gnats swarming the truck, waiting for me to open the door. 

thecfarm

Longest day of the year and the sun is out bright.

SwampDonkey

On the cool side today, 64F and a breeze. ;D

IMERC

hot...
sure do miss winter...
Who ever invented work didn't know how to fish.... Here fishy fishy....

Thank You Sponsors!