iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

For those of you that think you have a handle on your tool addiction:

Started by Dave Shepard, January 18, 2011, 05:40:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dave Shepard

Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

terrifictimbersllc

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 18, 2011, 05:40:37 PM
Lie-Nielsen has a YouTube channel. :D  teeter_totter
Maybe need to set your browser blocker to "strict".    :)
DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

low_48

I stopped one year when we were on vacation, probably 20+ years ago. My wife is from Waterville, and I left her with her family, and did some woodworking visits. I visited with Daryl Kiel and talked vacuum bag veneering, went to Thomas Moser factory, and then stopped at Lie-Nielsen. Thomas gave me a short tour and I had a blast. Back then, all the woodturning was done by one guy. Looks like he lost a job. It was a vacation to remember. They sure make a superior product.

Just Me

I stopped there about 20 years ago myself. They were still in the old barn at the time, seems like I read they have a new building now.

I used to give planes to my employees at christmas with their names engraved in them. And I wrote them off on my tools account......

I sent Thomas an old scraper holder that I have last year for evaluation as a possible new tool, haven't seen one for sale yet so they must have decided not to produce it. Shame, its one of my favorite tools and I would love to have at least one more.

Larry

Dave Shepard

I have succumbed to the charms of a L-N Dovetail saw with leather case and a Tite-Mark marking gauge.  8)

Just Me

Dave

Have you tried any of the Japanese pull saws? If you haven't you owe it to yourself to try one. Not one of the ones in your local Borg, but one of the handmade ones. Check out The Japan Woodworker. If you want to try one the first one I would get is a Ryoba.

People I work with always make fun of mine till they try one, then they want to borrow it all the time. I cut dovetails with a Japanese saw as they are much more controllable.

Dave Shepard

My local hardware store has a huge selection of tools from the Japan Woodworker. I have a couple of Ryobas, and a couple of another style.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Just Me on February 03, 2011, 08:10:37 AM

People I work with always make fun of mine till they try one, then they want to borrow it all the time. I cut dovetails with a Japanese saw as they are much more controllable.

I use a Dozuki with a steel back, mine is a cheap one and the handle isn't fitted properly (mine is made in South Korea). But the blade is top notch, the handle issue can be fixed easily with a dowel.

It's been great to cut tenons and no slop. I have a Stanley double edged flush cut saw, has fine teeth, that I need a new blade for. Had Japanese tooth pattern as well.

These type of saws have small teeth, but can cut pretty quick and leave a nice job.  8)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Bandmill Bandit

I really think that this thread needs to be renamed.

An addiction is something nasty that one SHOULD work to overcome.

A fetish is some thing that is done with great love and lust and we all love to use tools to satisfy that fetish.

I think we should rename this thread For your Tool Fettish.  8) 
Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

terrifictimbersllc

DJ Hoover, Terrific Timbers LLC,  Mystic CT Woodmizer Million Board Foot Club member. 2019 LT70 Super Wide 55 Yanmar,  LogRite fetching arch, WM BMS250 sharpener/BMT250 setter.  2001 F350 7.3L PSD 6 spd manual ZF 4x4 Crew Cab Long Bed

Bandmill Bandit

Skilled Master Sawyer. "Skilled labour don't come cheap. Cheap labour dont come skilled!
2018 F150 FX4, Husqvarna 340, 2 Logright 36 inch cant hooks and a bunch of stuff I built myself

Just Me

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 03, 2011, 04:51:29 PM
My local hardware store has a huge selection of tools from the Japan Woodworker. I have a couple of Ryobas, and a couple of another style.

Wow! That must be a nice hardware store. I have to order everthing here.

Dave Shepard

Bob also stocks a lot of used tools as well. He's got a nice Millers Falls boring machine right now, and a nice selection of planes, chisels, carving tools etc. Not somewhere I like to be on payday. ;)

SwampDonkey

I've orders about $800 worth of tools and hardware from Lee Valley this month. Saws, bits,rasps, sanding drum, lathe chuck, scrapers chisels, beading tool with cutters, router circle jig, #20 biscuits (way cheaper at Lee Valley than around here), screws (way cheaper than here). I might not be done yet. :D

This has spawned the need to build a wall mount chest for all this sss......stuff!  Can't stand having stuff lay all over the benches. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!